Help!!! How To Make Red Buttercream?

Decorating By sandi64 Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 10:29am by sandi64

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:48am
post #1 of 12

Help, I'm making an Elmo cake and my buttercream is a hot pink! What can I do to get red icing?

11 replies
bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:52am
post #2 of 12

OH no....let see....... add more red!!! It takes a LOT of red especially if you are using Wilton's brand. Also I have read on CC that you can start off with a dark pink then add the red so you do not have to use as much red. I always have a lot of red on hand because I hear this happens to a lot of people. I wish I had a better answer for you.

bj icon_wink.gif

sandi64 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 1:57am
post #3 of 12

Thanks I guess I will keep adding red! I'm using Wilton and Americolor red,
what if I add some black?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:10am
post #4 of 12

I would search for forums for Red Buttercreme. There have been quite a few topics on this recently and a lot of different ideas.

From starting with pink icing, to adding kool-aid to your buttercream, to using powdered colors, certain brands of gel, etc...

One thing I always try to do is mix one batch of buttercream in the mixer and whatever i don't use freeze for later use. But also allow enough time to let it sit overnight and get to it's true color. Colors darken after they sit for awhile.

If you need red tonight I would search the forums. There is a search button under Forums at the top of this page. Just make sure you click the option search for All words.

HTH

Leily

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:15am
post #5 of 12

I did an Elmo cake for my daughter and it took the whole jar of Wilton. Also, the color deepens the longer it sets. You might want to leave it alone for awhile and see what happens. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:18am
post #6 of 12

If you add some black, you may end up with burgundy. Be careful with the black!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #7 of 12

I would stay away from using the black..... that could take you down a whole different path. I would add more red if you have it and then let it sit and darken on its own. I'm surprised that is happening especially if you are using Americolor.

bj

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:16am
post #8 of 12

add a packet or 2 of cherry kool-aid. it totally works and tastes great! i posted a thread on it after using in this clown cake
LL

morgiana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgiana Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:58am
post #9 of 12

You can add some cacao powder, it helps as well to get nice bloody red ( I mean here I can't get any other colours than: red, green, yellow... so one needs to improvise icon_razz.gif)

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:59am
post #10 of 12

what is cacao?

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:22am
post #11 of 12

Have a look at this link.....I had the same problems and this link helped.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-27708-0.html

sandi64 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 10:29am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone! I will be delievering my cake on Sunday so I figured I should get a headstart on the buttercream since it took me 3 days to get the fondant red! I used the koolaid. I guess I will add the koolaid to the buttercream. Now the question is how much to add? I used 2 packets on the fondant and it is the perfect red for elmo. Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%