Blackjack Birthday....help Please??!!!!

Decorating By steffla Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 4:30am by steffla

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 10

I need help! I was asked to do a cake for an 80th birthday for a man who loves blackjack. She was hoping for a blackjack table which I feel confident I can do well BUT she was thinking he should be at the table playing and I dont think I can construct him out of fondant/gumpaste or anything else. I have never done that and now I am upset. I cant even think of an alternative to suggest to my customer that would be just as fabulous because I am stuck on this 'guy'!!!

she was told about my bathtub cake and came up with the idea. Only problem is the bathtub had a doll pick girl in it not a hand crafted figure! Do they make men??? Anyone have any ideas , suggestions or help??

Please Please, I really would appreciate any help, Thanks!!!

9 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 10

I bet you could do the man sitting at the table if you try. I was extremely nervous the first time I tried to model a figure... I just sat down one night to 'play' with fondant/gumpaste and tried to make a baby. I actually ended up using that 'practice' baby for a baby shower cake. If you practice a bit, you'll see it's easier than it looks.

I have confidence in you!!

steffla Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks but I tried playing today with gumpast and my guy looked kind of like a zombie or something the kids would put together. How do you connect all the limbs and still have it look natural??

Also, how would I make him sitting? Would I have to build a chair?

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 10

How about using a Ken doll? They used to make mini Barbie's maybe you could find a Ken to scale it down a bit???

steffla Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 10

Thats a good thought! Anyone ever tried to 'dress' a plastic doll with fondant clothes? Does it work? Do I need to ice him in buttercream first?

(That sounds bad , huh? lol icon_lol.gif )

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Thanks but I tried playing today with gumpast and my guy looked kind of like a zombie or something the kids would put together. How do you connect all the limbs and still have it look natural??

Also, how would I make him sitting? Would I have to build a chair?

I used piping gel to stick all the limbs on. I did notice though, that it left a shiny spot after it dried if I wasn't neat enough when painting it on.

You probably would have to build him a chair, maybe a square cake bottom with a fondant back...

I also like the idea of a Ken doll... much easier icon_wink.gif

Akeira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Akeira Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #7 of 10

Hola

Quisiera tener alguna idea de como decorar un bizcocho con el motivo de billar...

Gracias mil,
Akeira

steffla Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:22am
post #8 of 10

I am sorry, I wish I could understand what that says but welcome to cake central!!!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:49am
post #9 of 10

Could you do a figure standing at a blackjack table that you see only from the back? Like you're behind him watching him play. You could do the blackjack table that we are seeing over his shoulders.

That way you wouldn't have to do a face or any of those features, just the back of him leaning over looking at his cards or somthing. He could be wearing a jacket so you wouldn't have to worry about limbs much, maybe some hands...

I don't know....

steffla Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 4:30am
post #10 of 10

That's a really great thought! Gotta start some sketches, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%