Keeping A Cake Moist

Baking By hamlove Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 11:56am by Omicake

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 8

Is there anything I can put in my cakes to make them stay moist longer. I am working on a caramel cake and it always comes out to stiff. Will putting sour cream or buttermilk work. How much would you put in. I bake with two nine inch pans. If anyone could give some tips I thank you. thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

I usually sprinkle my layers with simple syrup. Have you ever tried that?

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:12am
post #3 of 8

The buttermilk would probably change the taste of the cake. I use simple syrup also.

CakeNewbie7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNewbie7 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:03am
post #4 of 8

Can you tell me what section in the food store do oyu find "simple syrup"?
I can't seem to find it.
Thanks

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:15am
post #5 of 8

One cannot buy simple syrup in a market, it is made. There are several different recipes for simple syrup on the Internet, each creating it's own version of sweetness. A standard is to pour equal parts of granulated sugar and water into a saucepan, and bring it to a boil. Allow to cool before using.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:15am
post #6 of 8

Several months ago I started wrapping my cakes in plastic wrap as soon as I took them out of the pan - this was something I read in a thread here at cc. The first time I used this method it was on a birthday cake I did for my niece - everyone wanted to know what I had done differently because they cake was so moist. I have been doing this ever since.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:29am
post #7 of 8

I also do a combination of the advice give here. As soon as my cakes come out of the oven, I overwrap them in foil. I was leary about trying this, worrying that the cake would become soggy, but it works great! When I get ready to start decorating, I go over the entire outside of the cake with simply syrup. I also use simple syrup after torting/before filling each layer. Works like a charm.

Amy

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:56am
post #8 of 8

Yesterday I overbaked a 12"square pound cake for 10 minutes more and though it isn't burned, the crust is too brown all around, top and bottom of it. I'm not torting it and don't want to cut it to see.
What can I expect to be the outcome and if dry, will some syrup help?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%