Filling Cupcakes

Decorating By Narie Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 2:48am by crazy4sugar

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 16

I have read of people filling cupcakes here. Ok, how do you do this? A special tip? Any warnings about types of filling, over filling etc?

15 replies
alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 16

I have filled cupcakes. I used royal icing with a round tip to make the icing dam. Just as with a regular cake make sure you don't overfill over the dam. The problem I had, was I couldn't frost the tiny cupcake like I would a regular cake, too small. I am sure there is a trick to it....

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 16

Some people use an apple corer...others just sort of cut a circular piece out of the middle and replace it like a cork once you have piped a small amount of filling.You will see how much is too much once you do a few!!

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 16

We just covered this in my last class. Put a #10 round tip on a pastry bag of the filling of choice, shove the tip into the cupcake, squeeze the filling in, take the tip out. We filled in four holes, iced the cupcake and decorated. The filling can be tied into holidays: black or orange for holloween, etc. icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 16

I, too, use a tip to fill the cupcake without cutting or coring the cupcake. I ordered tip 230 - a long, narrow tube that is perfect for filling. I have filled bunches of regular and mini-sized cupcakes with whipped ganache, lemon curd, regular frosting, whatever. I just insert the tip into the center of the cupcake and squeeze. If you hold the cupcake lightly with at least one finger on the bottom of the paper, you can feel the expansion on the bottom and see it on the top. Just be sure to quit squeezing before the cupcake cracks. Otherwise, you'll have to eat the evidence of overfilling icon_biggrin.gif The frosting covers the hole. The best yet was the giant ding dong cake from the recipe section made into mini-cupcakes with the white filling inside and chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Deadly...

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 16

I fill from the top using a star tip and frost when done, that way is is a suprise when they bite into it! A favorite is chocolate cupcake with a IM buttercream and ganache frosting, yum!

Narie Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone! I just ordered the 230 tip from Amazon. I can just imagine White cake with lemon or lime curd. I know a whipped peanut butter filling in a chocolate cupcake will please the teen-age hord that invades my kitchen periodically.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 16

I would love to hear your recipe for that whipped peanut butter filling if you don't mind sharing.... My dad loves pb and chocolate together so I am forever trying to find a good peanut butter filling. icon_smile.gif

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 16

I too am interested in the PB filling recipe. Please share icon_smile.gif

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 16

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this but you can also bake certain fillings into the cupcake. You just put a spoonful of the filling on top of the batter and the cupcake bakes around it.

Narie Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 16

Oops! icon_redface.gif I haven't figured out a recipe for peanut butter filling yet. I'll fiddle around with the idea over the weekend. My thought at present is to start with 1 cup peanut butter, a couple of tablespoons of butter and some powdered sugar, start slowly. The trick will be to make it light and fluffy but retain a satisfying peanut butter flavor. I will work it out and then post it for you.

How about a Coffee Butter Cream I created years ago. This goes very well with chocolate.

1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbls. cold very strong coffee (1 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee and 1 tbls. hot water- cool)
Cream butter and powdered sugar then beat until fuffy, add coffee and continue beating.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 16

I use Wilton tip 230 also. I pipe into the center of the top of the cupcake.

PUZZLEGUT: The peanut butter filing I use is as follows:

1/2 cup butter - room temp.
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cream (more or less according to your consistancy needs)

Whip butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy
Whip in 2 Tablespoons of cream
Add confectioners surgar 1/4 at a time, beat smooth after each addition
Add 1 Tablespoon of cream at a time and beat until fluffy
Add more or less cream to achieve the consistancy you desire.

tlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #13 of 16

save

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:51am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

The best yet was the giant ding dong cake from the recipe section made into mini-cupcakes with the white filling inside and chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Deadly...

Share please!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:19am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

The best yet was the giant ding dong cake from the recipe section made into mini-cupcakes with the white filling inside and chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Deadly...

Share please!!!

BOth of these recipes are in the recipe section of cake central.

Ding Dong Cake (this one has filling and chocolate glaze)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-715-1-Giant-Ding-Dong-Cake.html

Here is another recipe for the filling
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2219-0-Ding-Dong-Filling.html

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:48am
post #16 of 16

Yummy...thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%