Paranoia Is Setting In!!! Fondant Question-Quick Replies Plz

Decorating By FlourChick Updated 13 Jul 2006 , 9:02pm by FlourChick

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 5

I've got a wedding cake that I'll be frosting today in Wilton buttercream and then applying some art deco type fondant decorations (I'm not covering the cake in fondant-just making pieces to be stuck on the cake). The fondant pieces are pretty intense colors. The cake must be refrigeratedovernight because of the filling. I just happened to be discussing the cake with another decorator friend of mine who is making me really paranoid that the fondant is going to melt into the buttercream and all the colors (from the fondant) will start to run all over the cake if I try to finish the cake today and refrigerate it until tomorrow's delivery. I never use buttercream or fondant on my cakes but this is a bit of a VIP wedding and I can't get the look they want without the buttercream and fondant. I think it will be fine because I have worked in other bakeries and buttercreamed a cake, put fondant decos on it and then refrigerated it, but she's got me really paranoid now! I really don't have time to finish the entire cake tomorrow. Any thoughts???

4 replies
ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 5

what kind of filling are you using? I ran into this same problem not too long ago. I was using a (canned) raspberry filling, which ended up being fine without refrigerating. If it's a cream based filling though, that's another thing! If it is, would you have time to apply the fondant pieces in the morning before delivering?

FlourChick Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 5

The filling is cream based so it must be refrigerated. If I have to I can apply the fondant in the morning but I really don't want to because it's a large cake and also because I don't want to rush just to get it done so it can b delivered-I want to spend time on it to make it look just right. I think it will be fine, but like I said she's got me really paranoid!

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 5

I SO know what you mean about wanting to take time on it and not feel rushed at the last minute!!! I think if the cake is kept in the coolest room you have, it should be ok. (sorry your friend is making you so paranoid!! Like you really need that??!!) As far as what the colors might do from the fondant if it's in the fridge, I'm not sure. I don't want to steer you wrong!! My basement stays very cool in the summer with the AC on and my cakes do fine stored down there when they'll be served the next day. Best of luck to you!!! Let us know how things turn out and post a picture of it too!!
elly

FlourChick Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for replying! I ran a bunch of "tests" with the buttercream and the fondant by putting it in and out of the cooler and letting it set-up and come back to room temp. I added some colored fondant to the b'cream and none of it has run. The b'cream got a little "sweaty" when it was coming to room temp but hardly at all so I think it will be fine. And, like I said I've worked in bakeries where we would do this all the time but she got me really worried!!! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%