10 And 5 Years Together!

Decorating By Quebeccakes Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 11:49am by Quebeccakes

Quebeccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Quebeccakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:43am
post #1 of 7

My DH (well not really my DH since we are not married, people don't seem to do that a lot anymore here in Québec) and I will be celebrating our 10 years together this summer and it has just been 5 years we are living together.
I would really like to do a special cake for us to celebrate our life together especially since the last 5 years have not been always as fun as I would have liked (I've been stressed out doing my masters degree and now looking for work in my field for almost a year). But my DH has always been there for me, so I would like to do something special. I thought of doing a tiered cake that would look like a wedding cake as a joke, but I don't think he would really like that.
Now, we met working at a summer camp, he works with computers, we have a cat (no children yet but planning to someday). Any ideas? Something to celebrate love and the fun we have together just being together?

6 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 1:07am
post #2 of 7

http://www.earlenescakes.com/snwflksntydyed.htm
How about a wedding cake that doesn't look like a wedding but rather summer fun. Check the site above and scroll down to tie dyed.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

Could you do a small stacked tier cake? The first tier representing the start of the relationship and things you do or like--something along the lines of meeting at a camp, interests ect. The second tier representing your past 5 years together , jobs, hobbies and the top to represent the future together--where you want to be in the next few years?

Quebeccakes Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:26am
post #4 of 7

Thank you guys! I'll think about it, I still got time. I like your idea birdgirl, that would be nice to do.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:49am
post #5 of 7

If you don't want to do a tiered cake, you could try a computer cake with a cat asleep on the monitor. One of my cats would forever lounge on the monitor and dangle his paws down over the screen. There's lots of computer cakes in the forum, and you could make a cat out of MMF.

I really like the tie-dyed wedding cake. I have this one in my favourites:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=71902

You could certainly do a smaller version of it.

The other thing I thought of was a cake with a winding road on it, following the "road" of your relationship. You could add markers along the way to signify special events that you have celebrated together.

It sounds like a wonderful reason to make a special cake! Good luck!

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:50am
post #6 of 7

Hey Quebec! I just wanted to say Howdie. I lived in Montreal for 15 years, and have been in Toronto for the last 1 and 1/2. Where did you do your classes? I came to Toronto to do mine before I moved here. Anyway...I actually love the idea of a tiered cake. It doesn't have to be "wedding-y"...maybe do it in chocolate fondant instead of white (if you're using fondant) Maybe hip decorations representing your years together instead of flowers. I always wanted to do a sculpted cake with Mont- Royal complete with the cross. Just some ideas. Good luck, and don't forget to post a picture! icon_smile.gif

Quebeccakes Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

I like the idea of a cake with markers or decorations representing important moments in our relashionship. I like the image of the road we traveled together, thank you chocolateandpeanutbutter and terri-jo. I'll be thinking aout that, trying to find something that would fit us, I would love to try a tiered cake, but it will probably just be for the two of us (I'm always teasing that I only want to get married to have a tiered cake). Terri-jo, I did my classes outside of Montreal in a small cake deco shop. They teach the basics and since I'm more of a baker than a decorator and was looking for something to do I thought that it would give me something to build on to improve the look of my cakes. And now, there is CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%