Diabetic Cake H E L P!!!!!!!!

Decorating By redhare Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 9:26pm by yukisaru

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 15

OK Someone saw the purple and blue polka dot cake w/ a bow on it (in my photo's) and said she wanted a cake like that. Then she asks if I can make it Diabetic... I've never made a diabetic cake before. SOOOO

I always use a doctored cake mix - will this still be ok?
Also how do I make the bc more diabetic friendly?
And HELLO 2lbs of sugar in the MMF - is there a fondant for Diabetics that tastes ok?
Is there anything else I should be worried about PLEASE HELP - this lady has been waiting a day already since CC was down I had no luck searching the internet on my own icon_sad.gif
TIA

14 replies
Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm going to make my first one this week for my Dad, so here is my plan.
I have a good carrot cake recipe from Betty Crocker that calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, so I'm going to substitute that with "Splenda for Baking" (I think you have use half the amount of the recipe). The recipe that they had in Splenda's website for carrot cake had soooo many more calories and sugar it was ridiculous. Total insuling shock.
As far as the icing, I'm planning on making the "diabetic icing" from the recipe section in this website. It says that it can be colored and piped. If your cake calls for fondant, I guess you could cover the cake first with the sugar-free one, and then cover with fondant, and tell the person that the fondant is not sugar-free so don't eat it (a lot of people peel it off anyway).

redhare Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 15

OK so if I bought a regular dh box mix and I typically put pudding in there - so if I got sugar free pudding instead = do you think that would be ok????

Also there were a couple of diabetic icings in the recipe section which one would be best?

Diabetic Icing for Decorative Icing

Serves/Yields: 1/2 cup
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0
Category: Diabetic Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Diabetic Icing for Decorating Icing -

Powdered sugar relplacement: 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups cornstarch, 1 cup granulated sugar replacement.
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender - whip until blended and powdered.

Icing for decorative frosting:
1/4 cup solid shortening
3/4 cup powdered sugar replacement (see above)
1/2 tsp clear vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk

Cream shortening and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar replacement and milk until mixture is well blended. If frosting is too stiff, adda few drops of milk. Tint as desired.

OR

Diabetic Icing

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30
Category: Diabetic Cakes, Frostings

This icing will cover and decorate an 8-inch 2-layer round cake.`

1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Pudding
16 ounces Cream Cheese
3 TBSP Splenda

Whip Whipping Cream in cold bowl until stiff (chill paddle too).

Add softened cream cheese, pudding mix and Splenda. Mix on medium speed until well blended.

Can be colored and piped.

redhare Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 15

anyone please?

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 15

Damm Eren beat me too it i was going to say carrot cake with splenda or fructos instead of sugar with cream chees topping.

Good Luck

Nicole

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhare

Diabetic Icing

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30
Category: Diabetic Cakes, Frostings

This icing will cover and decorate an 8-inch 2-layer round cake.`

1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Pudding
16 ounces Cream Cheese
3 TBSP Splenda

Whip Whipping Cream in cold bowl until stiff (chill paddle too).

Add softened cream cheese, pudding mix and Splenda. Mix on medium speed until well blended.

Can be colored and piped.

I've used this one and it's fantastic. For the cake, I used a diabetic mix from the health food section of my grocery store.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 15

I would be intrested in an answer to this as well. I have had several of my customers ask about diabetic cakes for friends and family of theirs. I guess I should make one up and taste it to make sure it doesn't taste like cardboard. And I had one diabetic tell me that really what they are looking for is a cake with LESS sugar, not 0 sugar.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 15

I would go with the first one, since it can be used for decorating also. But I would try a batch first, befor eusing it on the customers cake. I tried a sugar free icing one time (good thing I tried it with the family). It was the most awful tasting icing. it was soo... bitter.
Good luck. Please post your results.

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 15

I don't think you can use a box mix that is not diabetic and just add sugar fee pudding because you still have all of the sugar that is in the cake mix. I have a recipe from CC for scratch diabetic chocolate cake and icing. I have not tried it yet but will next week. I have lots of diabetic in my family and normally you can just replace the sugar in your recipe with splenda. You just add more baking soda, I believe. Check out this link for splenda...
http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/cookingbaking/nocal_tips.inc

Wanted to add...tell them to just peel off the mmf and they don't have to worry about the sugar!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 15

As lisa said, you can find diabetic cake mixes....the ones here are made by sweet n low. They have chocolate, white and yellow and can be found in the diet section. I'm in Houston and I get them at Kroger.....so if there's a Kroger in Fort Worth, check it out. I have also used the cream cheese with splenda diabetic icing from this site. I made a cake for my sister's boyfriend and he had two pieces and he doesn't really care for sweets, so it must have been ok. Don't know what to do about the fondant though!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 15

OH......and be careful when you get the mixes....they do not yield as much batter as a regular mix. One mix for me made the small wilton oval.

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 15

Well, it worked. I made the Betty Crocker carrot cake, substituting Splenda for Baking (which has some real sugar in it), and added some powdered egg whites and extra baking soda, and wouldn't you know it, it worked. It tastes pretty good. There is a tiny, tiny little aftertaste (which I can tell because my taste buds are very sensitive) but not at all as much as like drinking a diet soda.

The texture is good and it rose properly. I used the 8" pan as suggested by the website.
I will try the diabetic icing tomorrow, hopefully it will work too.

redhare Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 15

thanks everyone - I called every grocery store even whole foods to see if they carry the diabetic mixes... NOPE only 1 store had a SNACK cake mix so I might have to resort to that- I did find a place online to order diabetic cake mixes for like 3.19 a pop.

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 15

My hubby is a diabetic and I make his cakes from scratch using the Basic Yellow Cake - Splenda. I use the Softasilk cake flour (WalMart), and the Splenda Blend for Baking which works really well - and 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (instead of the juice)
He prefers the Diabetic Icing with cream cheese (tastes good). I've used it to make simple decorations, shells/stars etc. It does better if kept cool.

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 15

I had to make a diabetic cheese cake for my BF's co workers, that is actually how I found this site, but I came across a lot of information about splenda and they have some other sugar subs. I used them for the cheese cake and it worked out well. I will look up in my diabetic cook book (got because of the cheese cake) and see if I find anything when I get home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%