Sponge Cake

Baking By bransmom Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 1:23pm by sweetamber

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have a good recipe for a sponge cake? I have never made one, but I am going to give it a shot. Is this the kind of cake I need to make to absorb liquid without the cake being dry? My cake size is going to be 11 X 15. Thanks a bunch

10 replies
morgiana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgiana Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 11

bransmom, I have very nice recipes from old english cooking book. I will post it tonight, when I reach home. sponge doesn't get very dry, but you can extra soak it, this worked pretty well for the last chocolate sponge I did for a doll cake. Do you want modern or victorian sponge?

bransmom Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 11

modern, please ma'am
This is what I am doing and you tell me what you think. The plan is to make a sponge cake and add strawberries to the mix. Soak strawberry juice and amaretto and use a cream cheese icing. I was going for a good recipe for a soaked Strawberry Amaretto cake. I have to do something quick because it is for my son's birthday tomorrow. This is how he described the cake, it taste like strawberries, it's pink, heavy and real moist like it is wet. What are your opinions? Please help........Thanks a bunch

morgiana Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 11

bransmom, sorry for delate, but I was pretty late home. I would go with sponge cake. so far i mixed in many different stuff and always worked icon_razz.gif (I am always experimenting). Here is VIctoria Sponge recipe from C. Conran "British Cooking". it's one of my favourite recipes - quick and effective. FOr torting and so on I usually leave it overnight to cool down completly:
175g (6 oz) butter (you can easily use maragarine. makes cake even lighter and fluffier)
175g (6oz) castor sugar
3 eggs well beaten
175g (6oz) self-raising flour

Preheat the oven to 180 grad C (375F). BUtter and flour 2 18cm or 7in sandwich tins (I did it as well in one round works just fine)
Cream the butter and suger together until light and pale, then add egg, a little at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour when about 2/3 of egg had been added. lastly add the remaining flour, and stir briefly by hand. put the mixture into two sandwich tins and smooth the tops. bake for 25-30 mins until well risen and brown. stays fresh outside of the frige for about 4 days. I had recently one torted with cream for 4 days in the frige and it kept just delicious. Acha, you can soak it well. just maybe make a sirup of water and sugar and add some amaretto aroma or liquer! don't oversoak it, just some keeps this sponch nice and wet.
hope that you have a nice baking day!
kasia

morgiana Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 11

I just was thinking, that maybe it's better to add strawberries muse (sp???) than sliced or whole strawberries, since they don't do very well at heat. (from my experience they just get smaller and pretty soaky) You could add extra flour to keep the cake dense. like that you will have moist cake, strawberry taste and "heavy" cake. Hope that everything works smooth! and happy birthday to your son!
kasia

morgiana Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 11

and I found the perfect sollution! I always say that I work the best in the night (here it's 0040) I quickly checked my baking books and found " Betty BOssie Cake Festival" (that's Swiss baking/cooking guru) and there is a cake I baked once for my tea shop and it was just perfect moist and heavy as you want it - it's called "Kirschenkonfitueren-Cake", what means Cherry Confiture Cake (but you can use whatever jam you fancy)
150g melted butter/margarine
1 jar of jam/confiture (ca. 450g)
2 eggs
2 cups (200ml nicely filled) grainded nuts/almonds (you can surely use only flour)
2 cups flour
2 tea spoons of baking soda/powder
and now: melt the butter, add jam and eggs and stir well, add the rest of the stuff, stirr in well. fill up the form (in the recipe cake form ca. 25cm, can be round as well). BAke in preheated oven 180C for around 45mins (do the toothpick check, or whatever it's called in english). Since jam is sugary you don't need any extra sugar. if you use strawberry muss (sp???)/puree than you might need sugar. don't need to soak this one, it's very moist.
my customers went nuts about this cake ( I made cherry version).
hope that it helps! both recipes are fast and easy. so you should ahve enough time.
Kasia

bransmom Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:19am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for everyone's help on this cake. It turned out good, I had him taste it last night before I took him to band practice and he like it. Amaretto is very strong and I may have used a little too much. I just made a plain white cake and mashed strawberries with a potato masher and added it to the mix. Baked it and made a mixture of butter, sugar, water and amaretto after I poked holes in it with a toothpick. I let it sit over night. Today I am making cream cheese icing for it and cutting it out in the shape of tenor drums (which is what he plays in marching band) I will send a pic when I finish it.

morgiana: Thanks for the birthday wish, that was so sweet. He is 15 today and his dad is taking him to get his learner's permit.
Thanks everyone

morgiana Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

Sounds delicious! I hope that he will love cake you made for him! Have a lovely evening!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:29am
post #9 of 11

Has anyone ever tried adding coconut to their particular spongecake recipe? And if so how did it turn out? I've googled and searched a couple of recipe sites for coconut spongecake and havent found anything- so I wonder if its' just not a combo that works LOL

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 11

bump icon_biggrin.gif

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 11

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would recomend using dessiccated coconut if you can get your hands on some, and also add a little coconut extract. HTH!

Amber

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%