Fondant Stephanotis?

Decorating By gilpnh Updated 28 May 2005 , 9:53pm by MrsMissey

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 9

Greetings All,
Have a wedding cake in July. The bride wants Stephanotis flowers all over it. Is there a mold or cut out for these? Im not even sure what a stephanotis looks like. They will be done in white and periwinkle. I did see a tutorial for a dogwood type flower in the last issure of ACD, they dried them in a food dehydrator, will this work for the stephanotis?
Thanx Heather

8 replies
Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

Here's a link to Scott Clark Wooley's store. The page has Stephanitis on it and a good picture.

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/MetalCuttersO-V.html

I hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 9

i rarely make my own gumpaste flowers... roses yes but thats about it... not coz i dont know how to make them.. coz i do.. but my time is worth more then what id charge for the gumpaste flowers and i want my cakes reasonable so peopole can afford them... so i order mine from WholesaleSugarFlowers.com.. and i was just lookin in my catalog and for a box of 81 of those flowers in a medium size its $14.59.. it would take me a few hours to make all those!.. so id buy them icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 28 May 2005 , 3:45am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentaa23

i rarely make my own gumpaste flowers... roses yes but thats about it... not coz i dont know how to make them.. coz i do.. but my time is worth more then what id charge for the gumpaste flowers and i want my cakes reasonable so peopole can afford them... so i order mine from WholesaleSugarFlowers.com.. and i was just lookin in my catalog and for a box of 81 of those flowers in a medium size its $14.59.. it would take me a few hours to make all those!.. so id buy them icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the site. That's really good to know. I haven't used gumpaste flowers on a cake yet but I always planned to purchase them if I did. Making them is an art form and an incredible talent. I admire them whenever I see them but I'm just not interested in making them.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 May 2005 , 3:48am
post #5 of 9

LOL! STEPHANITIS~~ lol i thought maybe fondant was sick or something! LOL! doesnt it sound like a sickness?? sorry, just had to say that! theyare beautiful though

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 May 2005 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpnh

Greetings All,
Have a wedding cake in July. The bride wants Stephanotis flowers all over it. Is there a mold or cut out for these? Im not even sure what a stephanotis looks like. They will be done in white and periwinkle. I did see a tutorial for a dogwood type flower in the last issure of ACD, they dried them in a food dehydrator, will this work for the stephanotis?
Thanx Heather

Aahhhh..Stephanotis is a beautiful little flower that can be made from gumpaste or a combo fondant/gumpaste mix. It is very small so making a lot of them will be time consuming. Wilton has a cutter that is used to make them and they relatively simple to make. I have the instructions, if you are interestested, I can scan and e-mail them to you! Just let me know!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 28 May 2005 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 9

Thanx for the info guys, MrsMissey I PMd you for the instructions. I may wind up getting the ones from Scott Wollerys site for the different sizes. Hope to start working with those next month and get some practice in.

Heather

(8 yo son just walked in the room, thinks he is Scott Roland the Baseball player and has just blacked under his eyes with a Sharpie. Sigh icon_surprised.gif )

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 May 2005 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 9

I make these flowers without using a cutter. If you make a ball of gumpaste, then elongate it dog bone style (thicker on either end) then insert your wire, using small sharpe sicsors cut a slit about 1/3 of the top of the ball, then cut that in half, then cut the other 2/3s of the ball into three. Using your fingers smooth out the petals some, you can use a ball tool to thin and shape the petals, i use a veining tool to mark the petals from the base up the petal about 1/2 way. dust center of the flower yellow, dust the outside bottom green.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 May 2005 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpnh

Thanx for the info guys, MrsMissey I PMd you for the instructions. I may wind up getting the ones from Scott Wollerys site for the different sizes. Hope to start working with those next month and get some practice in.

Heather

(8 yo son just walked in the room, thinks he is Scott Roland the Baseball player and has just blacked under his eyes with a Sharpie. Sigh icon_surprised.gif )

..instructions have been e-mailed!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%