Rolled Bc Vs. Fondant And Luster Dust

Decorating By margery Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 5:54pm by margery

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 4:01am
post #1 of 4

Would you be able to use luster dust on rolled bc--would you even want too? i would like to use do a lace mold with luster dust over fondant. i didn't know if the rolled bc would make it stand out more or is the luster dust enough...Any advice is appreciated. THANKS!

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 4

I would use fondant in your mold. My experience with rolled buttercream is it is not as flexible as fondant, it is quite a bit softer. Then luster dust on your mold.

As for painting on BC, you can, you just have to do it with a very soft brush and a soft touch, it is best to also make sure your BC crust.

HTH

Leily

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:32am
post #3 of 4

Luster dust is plenty shiny! You'd be surprised! You can see whether dusting it on or mixing with extract then painting looks better.

I think that the rolled buttercream has a lot more shortening, and I think the glossiness comes from the grease(for lack of a better word). I'm not really sure how the luster dust would work with the grease. You could experiement--Sometimes we need to figure out what doesn't work before we find what does. Maybe any of the options will work and you can just decide which tastes the best. Let us know how it works out!

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for responses. I tried the dust and am very happy with it on the fondant. I used orange extract with it and it may be a little too powerful taste wise (with peach filling)--so I may have to go to the vodka. but it painted beautifully!!

Do you often flavor your MMF? I haven't but wonder how that would taste?? Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%