How Bad Is It?

Decorating By Cheneya Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 4:16pm by jenndga

Cheneya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheneya Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 19

I did my third wedding cake this weekend. I was definitely better than my first one (the wedding cake nightmare in my pics). I learned the hard way, on my first wedding cake, how important it is to have a good support system in the cake. I was so confident going into this cake. I took a class taught by Bronwen Weber and was able to learn from a pro the do's and don'ts of structural support. I had great directions to the wedding venue. I was not worried at all that is was an hour and a half drive. What I didn't take into consideration was the weather. I has been raining in my area almost every day for the last two weeks. It stopped raining a few hours before the wedding, but the humidity was unbelievable. The cake the bride wanted was one she found on Sugarcreations.com. Mine doesn't even compare to how beautiful the original cake is, but I really, really tried! It is fondant covered with fondant dots. It also had a gumpaste monogram and bow. To keep a long story from getting any longer. When I arrived at the venue and opened the back door to my SUV...I almost passed out. The middle letter of the monogram and the bow had completely off the cake. To make matters worse, the buttercream trim between the layers never crusted because the humidity and had completely settled. So what started out as little round balls ended up as buttercream mush. The florist tried to hide as much of the flaws as possible with the flowers. I tried my best to get the letter and bow to attach back to the cake. I had to use corsage pins in the bow. The florist even put a little flower on the bow to hide the cracks. It still didn't quite sit high enough, you can see the seam of the fondant ribbon.

I actually work with the bride and since she has been on her honeymoon for the past week. I haven't gotten any feedback on the cake. So, please let me know what you think.......
LL

18 replies
sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 19

This cake is stunning! Looks beautiful to me.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 19

I think the cake is fine, but I really think (based on doing just two tiered cakes, mind you! LOL) that you would be better off not transporting cakes already stacked!. I would keep the tiers separate and when you arrive, assembe it (like dowels and everything are already DONE, but just need it to be stacked) and then attach the dot border....

Second, does your vehicle have AC? Did it have sun on it from the windows? This could be a solution too (better protection from the elements!)

With cakes it's always something, isn't it?

Melissa

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 19

Well, what ever you and the florist did, it must have worked..... It looks GREAT !

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 19

I think it is really pretty! You did a great job especially considering the challenges you faced. I would have never known that you had such troubles from the picture. I understand about the humidity, I live in the midwest and it is unbelievable what it does to our creations. Anyway, I think we tend to be more critical of our products than most folks.

Very nice work! thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 19

I haven't done a wedding cake yet. I can only imagine the nerves I would have. I'm so sorry this happened! The cake looks beautiful! Honestly I wouldn't have noticed the imperfections if they hadn't been pointed out. I think you did a great job covering up!! thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif It looks great and I hope the bride loved it!!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 19

I know you are disappointed with the cake but look at it as a learning experience..weather is a HUGE consideration...I've learned that lesson myself, just recently.

Every cake you make will teach you something new.

If the bride gives you a passing grade don't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Second, does your vehicle have AC? Did it have sun on it from the windows? This could be a solution too (better protection from the elements!)
Melissa

hehe. I was just imagining next time she'll be blasting the AC so strong that she'll have to wear pants and a coat!! (a little frostbit? maybe. Cake...still good! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif )
sorry, I always try to find a little humor in situations! icon_biggrin.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 19

I think it looks great!!!!

I am always too hard on myself, too, but the general population doesn't see things the way we do. They will not see a seam on a ribbon, just a beautiful bow with a pretty flower on the front.

I think you did a great job, keep up the good work!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 19

Good save.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 19

I CAN'T THINK OF THE MAKE RIGHT NOW....BUT I ALWAYS LOVE THAT SUV COMMERCIAL THAT HAS THE STACKED WEDDING CAKE IN THE BACK OF THE SUV BOUNCING ALL THE WAY TO THE RECEPTION. THEN THESE TWO VERY THIN WOMEN GET OUT AND REMOVE WHAT SHOULD BE ABOUT A 100 POUND CAKE WITH LITTLE TO NO EFFORT WHAT SO EVER. OH, AND NO DAMAGE TO THE CAKE WITH ALL THAT BOUNCING.
TICKLES THE HE?? OUT OF ME EVERYTIME I SEE IT.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRANSPORT A CAKE ALREADY STACKED....MAKE SURE YOU PUT IT IN THE BACK SEAT. THE RIDE IS MORE STABLE THERE. ALL THE BOUNCE IS IN THE REAR. THE RIDE IS JUST NOT AS SMOOTH IN THE REAR AREA OF A SUV. I HAVE BUCKET SEATS IN THE BACK THAT FOLD DOWN FLAT AND I BUILT A...I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CALL IT...A TABLE TOP TO FIT OVER THEM WITH A RIM AROUND IT AND PUT A ROLL OF THE NON-SKID STUFF ON TOP OF IT. IT WORKS GREAT FOR ME.

I TRY ME HARDEST TO NEVER TRANSPORT A STACKED CAKE, OR ONLY STACK THE BOTTOM 2 TEIRS AND COMPLETE IT ON ARRIVAL.

BY THE WAY.. I THINK YOUR CAKE LOOKS GREAT!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 19

It is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! When I first read your post, I thought the cake was going to look really kind of bad, but it is absolutely beautiful!!! No worries, and I'm sure that when the bride gets back she is going to rave about it! (I would if it were mine!) Sooooooo...with that said...GREAT JOB!!

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 19

Oh, she couldn't possibly have anything bad to say about that cake! It looks great!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 19

I think it's very pretty. Love the colors icon_razz.gif

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 19

I also think it looks great...I am so afraid of doing wedding cakes...they seem like so much more pressure!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 19

i think it looks great!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 19

I had to learn the hard way. In warm weather get the air cranking. Before I'm ready to load in the car I turn the air on and let it run for a couple min.

I might be freezing but it works. I always worry about the hall. They don't want to turn the air on until the last min. I always tell my Brides to tell the hall to have the air on before the cake is delivered.

I also take a pic of the cake after it's set up. What happens to it after I set up is not my responsiblity.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 19

Honey I hear you on the melting cake thing. I have one that had avalanches of icing on the corners. You have nothing to worry about your cake looks fabulous. I love all the flowers and the color is so pretty (my fav color is green). Great save!! thumbs_up.gif

Vicky

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 19

Well I have to say I'm a little jealous that it is raining where you are! Can you send some over to GA?

The cake really does look pretty and I love the colors! You matched the gumpaste to the colors of the hydrangeas beautifully!

Val posted a great high humidity buttercream, looks worth a try. You can read about it on the forum and the recipe is also on the recipe page. Good luck you are doing great!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-5-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-288073.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%