Coloring Bc???

Decorating By greencargirl Updated 28 May 2005 , 4:43pm by traci

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 27 May 2005 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 4

ok, i think i'm going to try my first all bc cake this weekend and see what kind of decor i can do on it... i plan on using dawn's famous recipe (is this the best one for decorating cakes too?) and i was just wondering in order to dye the bc, do i use the americolor paste stuff??? i have a couple of bottles of that stuff but they're so small, i'm scared i'm going to run out of it all of the time... any advice would be appreciated... i may attempt a bct... depending on how much free time i get this weekend (i have to send out our wedding invites tomorrow) and i'm doing laundry right now and tomorrow i'm planting our garden so hopefully i'll have sunday and monday but you just never know icon_smile.gif thanks!

3 replies
Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 4

The paste is fine to use, and since a little of it goes a long way, I wouldn't be concerned with the size of the bottles. Just dip a toothpick in the coloring and swirl in the frosting. Mix thouroghly with a spatula and add more coloring as you need (just be sure to use a new toothpick each time you need to add more coloring).

If you need to make any red you'll need to add a lot of red, so you'd be best with the no-taste red. I suggest using chocolate BC as a base if you need to make any black. The colors will darken as they sit too.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 4

A little americolor goes a long way...red and black are the ones I use the most of so I buy the bigger bottles. The little bottles should be more than enough for all the other colors. I'd only worry about running out of black or red if you needed large amounts.

The BC recipe Dawn uses tastes great...more butter! I'd try it and see if it works for you. If it were up to me, I'd decorate with a BC that had as much butter as possible. Unfortunatley, I'm cursed with hot hands and can only handle half butter. I make up for it though by adding butter flavoring. The first BC I ever tried was an all butter recipe...a nightmare to decorate with but the taste was out of this world!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 May 2005 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 4

I have always used the Wilton's icing colors and they work great for me. Does ameripaste work better?
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%