Cake Stacking Question????

Decorating By cakegal Updated 29 May 2005 , 5:18pm by cakegal

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 27 May 2005 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

OK.... I'm making 1/2 sheet cake and I want to place my book cake on top of it....it's a large book pan...not the small wilton one.....anyway...I want to raise the back of the book up so it looks better on the cake then just flat..... Question.....What would I use to raise the back of this cake up?????I want it raised at least 2- 3 inches.....
TIA
cakegal

6 replies
jg556a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jg556a Posted 27 May 2005 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 7

This suggestion might be a lot of work, but it's what I was going to do, but then didn't have to do the cake. If you make another book cake and slice it legnth wise on an angle to form a wedge type shape, you could place your full book cake on top of that and then you have it angled upward. I hope that helps, if not, hopefully you'll get a few more ideas. Good Luck!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 May 2005 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

I've used wedges of cake to do this, but I'm sure there are other things you can use. Hopefully someone else will have some other options!

cakegal Posted 28 May 2005 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

No more ideas on this one?????
I really need some help with this one....PLEASE!!!
TIA
cakegal

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 May 2005 , 12:14am
post #5 of 7

Ok... I'm just throwing this out there..... couldn't you used wedges of styrofoam to prop it up. It's light weight and should hold it up, and you could cover it with contact paper or frost it to match the cake. Just a thought!

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 29 May 2005 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

Cakegal,
Because the book cake is a little heavy, the bottom cake will need some extra support. I would prepare the bottom cake with extra dowells in that area, then will either prop the book cake with maybe a little book stand made out of fondant of the same color as the book or cover it with butter cream stars of the same color of the book. for the book stand I would make it in advance to allow the fondant to get real hard. Do not put it into the freezer because it will get real hard and when you take it out the change in temperature will make it very soft. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cakegal Posted 29 May 2005 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

These are some good ideas..... I'm leaning towards the styrofoam wedge.... if I buy a piece of styrofoam the size of the book cake, then cut it in a wedge, cover it with icing, and dowel it in the sheet cake...that should work for me.... Sometimes I get a little thick headed....lol....
Thanks for the good ideas ladies...
Happy baking...
I'm making a strawberry shortcake tomorrow for our picnic..
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%