Frosting Sheets Or Wafer Papers?

Decorating By faby33 Updated 31 May 2007 , 8:37pm by faby33

faby33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faby33 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 7

I READ THAT FROSING SHEET IS MORE QUALITY THAN WAFER PAPER AND ALSO IT GETS DISOLVED ON THE FROSTING SO NOONE BUT THE CAKE MAKER CAN KNOW IT IS THERE.ON THE OTHER HAND WAFER PAPER IS NOTICEABLE ONCE YOU CUT A CAKE.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH AND WHICH ONE IS MORE PREFERED? I DON'T HAVE A PRINTER . WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO IS DRAW AN IMAGE AND PLACE ON THE CAKE AND THEN PIPE IT.SO WHICH PAPER IS BETTER OR RECOMMENDED FOR YOU TO DO THIS?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE REPLIES AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.
FABY

6 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 7

Frosting sheets are great for this, however, they are quite expensive. You can also do this with wafer paper, but it will not "melt" into your cake the way frosting sheets will. Wafer papers will soften up enough so you can cut through them. One advantage of wafer paper over frosting sheets is that you can do cut outs like flowers or butterflies, then bend them into shape. You can't really do that with the frosting sheets. If you just want to draw your image and put it onto the cake and cost is not an issue, frosting sheets are the way to go IMO.

-Rezzy

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

I actually use both, got the wafer paper because it was soooo much cheaper I figured it would not hurt to have it on hand. It is great, works just like tracing paper, you can see thru it, cuts well with scissors, if you are piping over it I think it would be fine, it may soften a bit more that way than just being placed on the cake.

The frosting sheet is softer, can be a little harder to draw on and can tear, but because it is softer it does "blend" into the cake more.

For drawing, tracing, cutting out, with no edible printer - go with wafer paper.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

I actually use both, got the wafer paper because it was soooo much cheaper I figured it would not hurt to have it on hand. It is great, works just like tracing paper, you can see thru it, cuts well with scissors, if you are piping over it I think it would be fine, it may soften a bit more that way than just being placed on the cake.

The frosting sheet is softer, can be a little harder to draw on and can tear, but because it is softer it does "blend" into the cake more.

For drawing, tracing, cutting out, with no edible printer - go with wafer paper.

You took the words out of my mouth icon_biggrin.gif

faby33 Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 7

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU.THOSE REPLIES WERE OF GREAT HELP.
YES I WANT TO DRAW OVER IT SO I GUESS I WILL BE USING THE WAFER PAPER. PEOPLE CAN EAT IT RIGHT?
I HAVE NEVER USED ANY OF THEM, I AM PLANNING TO BUY, SO IF I BUY THE WAFER PAPER HOW I STICK IT TO THE CAKE? MAY BE A SILLY QUESTION BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW. THANK YOU AGAIN.
FABY

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 7

Best to place it on the cake before the icing crusts over and then it will just stay in place. Don't use water, your colors will run. You can always use some corn syrup brushed on lightly as well.

faby33 Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SWEETRESULTS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%