Help!!! Cake Batter Overflowed While Baking

Decorating By mohara Updated 29 May 2005 , 4:26pm by debsuewoo

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 10

Hi. I really need help quickly. I have to bake this cake today. I am baking a football helmet cake using the Wilton pan. I used a duncan hines cake mix. The wilton instructions say to preheat oven to 350 and bake in middle rack. I did this. It said to bake for 25-35 minutes. I set my timer for 25 to check it...it was ballooning up everywhere and the top of the edges of the cake looked like they were burning...the center was definitely still not cooked through yet...cake tester very "wet." I used wilton's cake release for the first time, so I don't know if that could impact it. What should I do???? I am going to wait a little bit - because I have to go out, and then try to bake it again. What do you recommend???

Should it have been 325, instead of 350 like the wilton directions say?
Help Help Help!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 10

I would def. bake it at 325. I have found that all my cakes bake better on the lower temp, especially the choc.

msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 10

Is it a flat pan or a round stand up pan? Either way, I would probably put the oven to 325 and a flower nail upside down in the middle if it is a flat pan to help get heat to the center. If it is a stand up pan, then I would think you need a heating core thing - a - ma -bobby.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 10

To begin with, yes, I'd definitely lower the oven temperature. I've only seen pictures of this pan, but it sounds like you needed either a core or at least a flower nail (inserted in the center of the batter) to help bake the center of the cake.

When I use the Wilton character pans I usually put my cake strips on to help them to not bake on the edges before the center is done, this is because the aluminum is so thin and it will bake unevenly.

If you are going to re-bake the cake, lower the temperature, and coat a flower nail with whatever you are using on your pan, insert it in the center, flat side down, and hopefully it will help the cake to bake more evenly. Janice

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 27 May 2005 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 10

If you do not have any bake strips, then you can also cut an old towel into strips and wet them before baking. You can secure them around your pan with a safety pin. This might help! I hate it when things don't go as planned! Good Luck!!!! icon_razz.gif
traci

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe there's also too much batter in the pans?

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 10

I do have the baking strips, but I've never used them yet. No good time like the present, huh?
The pan called for a regular cake mix, so that's what I used.

I'm going to try again!

Thanks!!!

dcurcio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcurcio Posted 27 May 2005 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 10

Definitely reduce the temp to 325 degrees. Try moving the pan to a lower rack if possible. Cover the top with a piece of foil to prevent burning if it starts getting too brown. You can always level the top when it finishes baking to make it more even. Note: If you added instant pudding to the mix, that makes more batter and also the cakes rise a little higher that normal. Perhaps that's why it overflowed.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 29 May 2005 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 10

Hi Mohara!
My 2 cents on this one. Cakes bake much better at 325 degrees and longer time. This way you avoid burning/hard spots around the cakes. I set up the timer at 45 minutes, then check and turn the cake pan around for even baking and set timer for 15 more mintues. Standing pans need the heating core inserted to bake the inside thoroughly and don't forget to place a cookie sheet underneath to collect the spilled cake. When I use standing baking pans always overflow, no big deal. If you're using regular baking pans try to fill only 1/2 of them. If there is any batter left, I use it for cupcakes that I give customers to try my cakes. icon_wink.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 May 2005 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 10

Definately 325! Also, no matter which pan I use, I always turn my cakes half way during baking to ensure that they come out even. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%