I Need Help Pricing...

Decorating By MissLady85 Updated 31 May 2007 , 10:55am by Ellistwins

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:26am
post #1 of 5

I had a lady request a pillow cake with a RI Tiara for her daughters birthday... with some daises and other simple RI decorations. But im at a loss on what to charge her... Can someone help me please

4 replies
gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:23am
post #2 of 5

BUMP !

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:08am
post #3 of 5

Whitney, I am truly not the one to be giving pricing advice, but here is what I have started to do. There is a pricing matrix (in Excel format) on this site somewhere that I downloaded, and it is really great! I made a few modifications to it to personalize it to how I bake, and it has been great in giving me a guide to what to charge. I would highly recommend it!

As for the pillow with tiara, it sounds like it will be more labor than anything else. What is your hourly rate? (Make sure it is quite a bit more than minimum wage ~ if just anyone could do what you do, they would do it themselves!) How long will it take you do create the cake? How big is the cake?

For a 10" square, using my matrix and calculating a total of 5 hours of time (including baking) at $10 per hour, I am coming up with $63 for the cake. (Not sure of the tiara ~ I have never made one before!) I hope this helps some!

<S>

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:31am
post #4 of 5

How do you calculate time in a quote? I have found that sometimes a cake would take much quicker than I initially thought and other times much longer? But i like the calculation idea. I often battles with the pricing idea and often underquote.

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:55am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

Whitney, I am truly not the one to be giving pricing advice, but here is what I have started to do. There is a pricing matrix (in Excel format) on this site somewhere that I downloaded, and it is really great! I made a few modifications to it to personalize it to how I bake, and it has been great in giving me a guide to what to charge. I would highly recommend it!

As for the pillow with tiara, it sounds like it will be more labor than anything else. What is your hourly rate? (Make sure it is quite a bit more than minimum wage ~ if just anyone could do what you do, they would do it themselves!) How long will it take you do create the cake? How big is the cake?

For a 10" square, using my matrix and calculating a total of 5 hours of time (including baking) at $10 per hour, I am coming up with $63 for the cake. (Not sure of the tiara ~ I have never made one before!) I hope this helps some!

<S>

Please post the link to the pricing matrix or e-mail me (PM).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%