New Wilton Class/fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By jayla Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm by sweetideas

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:32am
post #1 of 39

Have anyone taken the new wilton class, fondant and gum paste.
I am scheduled to start next week. I was wondering how did you like it and did you learn anything helpful.

jayla

38 replies
babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 39

haven't taken it yet. i am scheduled to start next week!

lizzyb0601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyb0601 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 39

I took it. It was ok...I think it dragged on too long though

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 39

I taught it -- it's just an extension of course three and as everyone said, it could have been a two-week course instead of four. You learn calla lilies, carnations, a fantasy flower and a few other things.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 39

I am starting next week, too! I am excited, but lizzyb, did you think you learned a lot? I guess I am disappointed that we aren't learning more flowers. Seems like we learned a lot of the fondant stuff already in course 3? I just love classes, so guess it's worth it anyway! icon_smile.gif We should make an area on here :gumpaste class starting june 6 for us to discuss how it's going! icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 39

I think if you are new to decorating or are taking it with the other Wilton classes, it will be fun and informative. I took it a year after finishing the other classes, and I had learned a ton since then, so the class to me was boring and I found the cakes very fondant heavy and not very unique , but I think if you're new to fondant, it is a great way to learn some tricks for future projects, and make you want to step into the cool world of gumpaste. thumbs_up.gif

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 39

I took the class and loved it!!! I was very lucky that I had a teacher who taught more than what the book taught. She asked what we wanted to cover and that is what she went over. So I thought it was a wonderful class. and the box for the class has some great tools in it. icon_lol.gif

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 39

I took it and it was ok. I had already self taught a lot of the fondant techniques, so some of it was boring. The teacher also skipped a lot of stuff. I guess it's good if you are new to fondant.

Alex

jayla Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 5:15am
post #9 of 39

Yes, I am new to fondant. I think the class should be helpful.

Did you all buy the wilton fondant, or did you make your own?

jayla

adobewife Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 39

I would make my own or buy a tub of fondx or some other brand. Fondx is inexpensive and a little goes a long way, and I think their new formula tastes excellent. I find wiltons to expensive and the taste is very disappointing. I think people get turned off fondant, because they have only tasted wiltons icon_sad.gif

jaime455 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaime455 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 39

I just finshed this class last night and I was really lucky to have a GREAT teacher so it was alot of fun! I am attaching a picture of the cake we made for our last class.
LL

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 39

I took the class last month. I was disappointed that it was not more gumpaste. I learned a few new things. The class was free when purchasing the kit. That made it worth it. I though most of the cakes in the Fondant Gumpaste book were really ugly and was not inspired to make one. I came up with my own design which I am attaching.

I'd like to have the teacher in this class and Course 3 work with us on getting our fondant completely smooth. I still have trouble with that. I am going to look for a gumpaste only class at an independent store. I want to start molding figures.

I should say to "jaime455" who posted her final cake pic that it is very nicely done, beautiful cake.
LL

jaime455 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaime455 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 39

adonisthegreek1
I was just wondering did you teacher tell you to take the fondant smoother and rub it all over your fondant after you roll it out before you put it on the cake it smoothes it all out for a nice smooth finsh! I love your cake that you made I was not really happy with the choices from the book ethier but my daughter wanted me to do the daisy cake.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime455

adonisthegreek1
I was just wondering did you teacher tell you to take the fondant smoother and rub it all over your fondant after you roll it out before you put it on the cake it smoothes it all out for a nice smooth finsh! I love your cake that you made I was not really happy with the choices from the book ethier but my daughter wanted me to do the daisy cake.

No the teacher only had us smooth the fondant after it was on the cake.

jayla Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:38am
post #15 of 39

I think the photos of your finished cakes are great. I hope I do as well in the class. I bought the wilton's fondant, however, I ordered fondx. I hope it comes soon.

jayla

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:10am
post #16 of 39

I just finished the fondant course and well, it was not worth all the money I had to pour into it icon_redface.gif It became very expensive to take the course, the list of supplies was a full page and I still didn't buy everything!
We did not learn as much as I had hoped, guess that depends on the area and teacher and I still have 2 BIG packs of Wilton fondant that I haven't opened (will use in future now) that we were told we MUST have.
My biggest problem was all the money that I had to put into the class that I didn't know going in....what a surprise!! Oh well, it was something new and gave me another option in my cakes. I love the other decorating classes much better icon_smile.gif
Good luck!!! I hope you have a great teacher who knows her fondant icon_smile.gif

ps I don't want to sound like a spoil sport!!!! I just wished I had known what it was going to be like before the first night's surprises...

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:29am
post #17 of 39

I have signed up for a class that starts this Thursday. Me and another CCer have signed up, but we are the only ones so we are pretty sure the class will be canceled. pretty disappointing. I am new to fondant and I was going to get to meet the other CCer there. This website is amazing! I not only have learned SO many new tricks and helpful hints but I have talked with so many wonderful people. Even had the opportunity to meet someone in my area on line. Thanks CC!

babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 39

i was signed up to start on wednesday, but they cancelled the class. pretty bummed about it too. there was only 2 of us.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I taught it -- it's just an extension of course three and as everyone said, it could have been a two-week course instead of four. You learn calla lilies, carnations, a fantasy flower and a few other things.

We were never taught calla lillies in our course4 or the gumpaste/fondant course. icon_confused.gif

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:47pm
post #20 of 39

Do you have to have course 3 to take this one? I wanted to skip course 3 and just do the Fondant and Gumpaste. Do they actually teach you how to cover the cake in Fondant and Gumpaste?

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 39

This info is helpful

They seem to cancel classes because they don't have enough signing up

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #22 of 39

I am planning on taking this course next month. I'm starting course 3 this weekend.

2sdae Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyE

Do you have to have course 3 to take this one? I wanted to skip course 3 and just do the Fondant and Gumpaste. Do they actually teach you how to cover the cake in Fondant and Gumpaste?

They do teach you to cover a cake with fondant and how to use gum paste. But there are some things in course you deff don't get in fondant gum paste.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:17pm
post #24 of 39

I start this course and course 3 next week. Gave DH a choice 2 nights a week for 4 weeks or one night for 8. He picked 2 for 4 weeks. I am really looking forward to it. I was the only one signed up for F&G as of Sunday. I kind of hope I still am, as my instructor will still hold the class for just one person. I had private course 2 lessons icon_lol.gif But there are at least 3 in my course 3 class which should make it fun. My teacher is great she knows her stuff pretty well. I'm hoping she might cover some additional flowers if we have time. I've seen some of her gumpaste work. I can't wait for next week. I bought the stuff in the kit one coupon at a time over the last few months while waiting for hubbys baseball season to end.

Judi

jayla Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:00am
post #25 of 39

Can anyone tell me the type of rolling pin to buy to spread the fondant?

sweetideas Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:54pm
post #26 of 39

Of course they suggest the 20" rolling pin that wilton sells but if some people said they got away making their own from wooden dowels or PVC. It was easiest for me just to buy the darn thing with a coupon. icon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:23pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

Of course they suggest the 20" rolling pin that wilton sells but if some people said they got away making their own from wooden dowels or PVC. It was easiest for me just to buy the darn thing with a coupon. icon_smile.gif

That is what I did too!

sweetideas Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:34pm
post #28 of 39

Regardless, I am really excited to start my class tonight and I hope all of you who take it have fun!! I am counting the hours until my first class icon_smile.gif

adobewife Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:59pm
post #29 of 39

I think this class is great if you are taking it in sequence with the other wilton classes. I think my frustrations came from my gumpaste and fondant skills exceding what was offered from the class. If it had been offered when I first started decoration, I would have been elated. Have a great time, and we can't wait to see your beautiful projects.

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #30 of 39

I was very lucky and had a great instructor. I would have liked to see more flowers, but ... She did ask if any of us would be interested in taking just a gumpaste flower course, so maybe there is one in the works.
As far as the extra stuff, I didn't buy much of it. If we needed it in the class, we just used hers. I did end up buying some of the stuff after I had tried it.
It just seems that some of the instructors are better than others. The one that I had for course 2 & 3 was terrible. In course 3, she just showed us fondant, but said no one likes it, so I won't waste time in having you do it. Maybe that is why I really enjoyed the fondant & gumpaste class. I was afraid of doing fondant, but now I have found an new dimension to my decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%