Square Cakes With Fondant

Decorating By midialjoje Updated 8 Jul 2006 , 5:30pm by doitallmom

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure there have been threads on this before, but I can't find any. Can anyone help with directions on how to do the corners on a square cake when covering with fondant so there aren't creases? Thanks!!!

4 replies
petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 5

My wilton instructor told me to always start with the corners and to add some piping gel on the bottom inch of the crusted frosting, so that it sticks where you want it to go.

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 5

Do you roll fondant out in a square or do you just do a circle? TIA LouAnn

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

When I cover a square cake with fondant, I make certain that my cake edges are rounded rather than a sharp. This helps to prevent the edge from 'cutting' the fondant. Next I tend to roll my fondant a little bit thicker. I then drape it over the cake and stretch it away from the base while coaxing the fondant next to the sides of the cake with my hand. I then do a rough trim to remove the excess fondant so that it doesn't cause the fondant on the cake itself to stretch. I continue to smooth, with hands first and then a fondant smoother to get the final effect I am want, and then I do a final trim. HTH

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

I've always done my square cakes just as I do the rounds. I have the wilton squares with the very sharp corners (the ones I think you're talking abut. they're the older ones,I've had them for about 10 years or so) and I've never had a problem. I just apply like its a round ,smooth and that';s it.HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%