Are Some People Crazy?

Decorating By AmandaPanda Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm by aobodessa

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 23

A friend of mine was browsing craigslist and came upon this post .... I am new to the cake thing and need the practice but I don't know if I am desperate enough to take on a client with this kind of ad ...http://nashville.craigslist.org/wan/340619941.html

She says they will buy the materials needed minus the pans and then negotiate a price from there! AND she wants references so make sure they are choosing the RIGHT person? Hmmmm ... something just doesn't seem right to me about that. I mean if you are desperate enough to have a cake that cheap you really can't be picky about WHO does your cake and chances are someone that DOES have references is way above doing that kind of work .... is it just me or does this post sound like she is going to be too picky/choose for someone not willing to shell out the money for a GOOD cake?

22 replies
kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 23

Amandapanda, I'm with you I would not go near that one. I wouldn't want someone else telling or supplying me with the materials I use and then do it for very little money. You expect people to check out your work and make sure they like your cake, but I don't think you should jump through hoops for next to nothing. Then again maybe she's not picky and just hopes that she can get a good decorator with a kind heart!

AmandaPanda Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 23

yeah that is true ... I dunno I would do something inexpensively for someone who really needs it, especially since I am just starting out but after saying that they will provide the materials then wanting references? I dunno sounds a little weird, maybe I am reading too much into it ....

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 23

That sounds really strange, but then again maybe they just want to know what goes into the cake so they feel better buying the ingredients. I would stay away too though. better safe than sorry, plus you don't need the hassel.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 23

I've done cakes for family members and had them supply me with everything minus the pans and only charged for my time but that was family...and I can understand wanting to save money, but i agree i'd stay away from this one.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 23

I dont know... A LOT of people look for their wedding cake bakers on CL. In fact, thats where I get most of my business from. The way this one is posted is a little strange, but there are so many brides-on-a-budget that this is a great way to get a wedding cake that might be fairly inexpensive. You might contact her and get a few more details about what she's looking for. You can always refuse! icon_wink.gif

AmandaPanda Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeepgrl

I dont know... A LOT of people look for their wedding cake bakers on CL. In fact, thats where I get most of my business from. The way this one is posted is a little strange, but there are so many brides-on-a-budget that this is a great way to get a wedding cake that might be fairly inexpensive. You might contact her and get a few more details about what she's looking for. You can always refuse! icon_wink.gif

you know that is true, I got a lot of my business from craigslist until I realized I cannot legally advertise icon_redface.gif so I have stopped now .... and yes thats true I certainly can refuse ... I am not against helping someone on a budget out but the wording kidna scared me off as giving an attitude of wanting the best (hence the reference thing(although I can provide good referenced)). If it were me I think I would have taken a more humble attitude toward asking for help.

maladymay Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 23

Oh yes! I completely agree! icon_lol.gif They way they're asking for it is a little wierd, but odds are its probably still legit.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 23

icon_confused.gif You know, I don't take my own food into a restaurant and ask them to cook it for a discount.

The cost of the ingredients is not the expensive part..... the talent, the time and the labor is. Obviously they don't understand this if they think they are saving the bulk of their budget by buying the stuff and just paying someone to "slap it together" for them.

Run. Do not walk. Do not pass Go. Do not collect any money from them what so ever.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 23

I would definitely stay away from this one. First of all, I have my own preferences for ingredients, and I have found that my Clients really LIKE what I provide for them. How do I know the ingredients they supply me with will be of the same caliber in both freshness and quality?

Secondly, if I am giving you a reference, that person has had MY cakes, made MY way, with MY preferred ingredients. There may be no comparison with what I do vs. what you will provide me with to do the same thing. Just the difference in a brand of vanilla, for instance, can make a big difference in how a cake will taste.

Lastly, I am aware that weddings are costly. But as a pastry person, I would rather see a Client hire me to do a terrific job with the budget they can afford, allowing me to determine if I am going to make any money. I truly don't approve a Client telling me that they need something to be very cut-rate, then balking at my lowest possible price for the job.

Hire me or don't; but please don't ask me to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Just my opinion. I'm getting down off my soapbox now and putting it away. The flour cannister awaits .......

Odessa

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

I would definitely stay away from this one. First of all, I have my own preferences for ingredients, and I have found that my Clients really LIKE what I provide for them. How do I know the ingredients they supply me with will be of the same caliber in both freshness and quality?

Secondly, if I am giving you a reference, that person has had MY cakes, made MY way, with MY preferred ingredients. There may be no comparison with what I do vs. what you will provide me with to do the same thing. Just the difference in a brand of vanilla, for instance, can make a big difference in how a cake will taste.

Lastly, I am aware that weddings are costly. But as a pastry person, I would rather see a Client hire me to do a terrific job with the budget they can afford, allowing me to determine if I am going to make any money. I truly don't approve a Client telling me that they need something to be very cut-rate, then balking at my lowest possible price for the job.

Hire me or don't; but please don't ask me to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Just my opinion. I'm getting down off my soapbox now and putting it away. The flour cannister awaits .......

Odessa

I totally agree!

maladymay Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 23

bwahahaha!!!! icon_biggrin.gif (I brought my own noodles! Can you make me some spaghetti for real cheap?!)

Alright, alright. Of COURSE you guys are right - No, none of my CL orders ever come at me like this. They do get what I make, with MY ingredients, for MY prices. She should of course re-word her ad... (I'm half tempted to send her an email now.. haha!)

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_confused.gif You know, I don't take my own food into a restaurant and ask them to cook it for a discount.

The cost of the ingredients is not the expensive part..... the talent, the time and the labor is. Obviously they don't understand this if they think they are saving the bulk of their budget by buying the stuff and just paying someone to "slap it together" for them.

Run. Do not walk. Do not pass Go. Do not collect any money from them what so ever.

Agreed. The ingredients are not what is expensive. The time that goes into making/baking/decoating FAR exceed the basic cost of flour, butter, sugar, eggs etc. A cake - especially wedding can days hours if not DAYS. This woman is not considering someone's else's time is their money...selfish.

Crazy_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy_Cake_Lady Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 23

I agree with everyone here. I'd stay away. She'd undoubtedly want to micro-manage you which could drive you crazy.

There should be clear boundaries in any business transaction and this one sounds strange.

Crazy Cake Lady

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 23

RUN THE OTHER WAY!!

Beth in KY

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 23

It was worded oddly, I will give it that, but maybe what she meant is...I want a cake that isn't being made by someone who has never made a cake before. She is probably hoping to get someone who knows what they are doing. I am guessing though that she has no idea what goes into making a cake. When I started I was surprised at how much just the ingredients DO cost. but that is besides the point.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 May 2007 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 23

This is the kind of favor you ask if you are lucky enough to have a family member or close friend who "does cakes". Sure, craigslist is the place to put out odd requests like this, but I think this girl has never heard the phrase "beggars can't be choosers". Asking someone to donate 15-20 hours of their time, and then having the nerve to ask for references, is either rude or very ignorant.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:23am
post #18 of 23

Quote Craigslist ad: I'm getting married in August.We are looking for someone to do a wedding cake for us.We can provide all the things you need to make the cake,minus the pans. We don't have alot of money so we would like to do this as cheaply as we can. We would like references to ensure that we choose the right person.Thanks so much!

Dear poster, I would be happy to meet with you regarding your wedding cake needed in August. You say that you will provide all that I would need to make the cake, and that comes to $x.xx per serving. I can provide you with numerous references of previous brides that I have worked with if you like. If you are looking to do this cheap, I'm sure there is a Wal-Mart somewhere in your vicinity. Thank you and have a nice day.

People never cease to amaze me.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #19 of 23

This is your chance ladies! You can respond to this ad anonymously...just saying. icon_lol.gif

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:16am
post #20 of 23

Oooohhh, wouldn't that aggravate this bride if we all sent anonymous replies telling her she's nuts.

maladymay Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:20pm
post #21 of 23

On the other hand, she didn't say that she was looking for someone to do it for "free", just "as cheap as possible". Obviously we all know that its not necessarily the ingredients that are what goes into the majority of the price of cakes (though they can get expensive, too...), but SHE may not quite understand that. Ok, so sure... If she's going to pick up a few of the ingredients, fine. On top of that, you still charge $x.xx per serving. That may in fact be less (it is for me, anyway) than some of the fancy big bakers. Personally I think its HOW it was asked for, not WHAT was asked for. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #22 of 23

what timing .....

I had a call today from a bride who wanted to buy the food and hire me to cook it. I told her I couldnt' do that.

She actually was being logical, though. Her fiance works for a food distributor so he can get it at a really good price. So I can't blame them for trying! icon_wink.gif

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

what timing .....

I had a call today from a bride who wanted to buy the food and hire me to cook it. I told her I couldnt' do that.

She actually was being logical, though. Her fiance works for a food distributor so he can get it at a really good price. So I can't blame them for trying! icon_wink.gif

Like I tell my children: if you don't ask, you surely won't get! But by asking, you just may be surprised at what someone may be willing to do for you.

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%