How Long Does It Take You....

Decorating By tobinx Updated 8 Jul 2006 , 7:00pm by tobinx

tobinx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobinx Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:39am
post #1 of 9

How long does it take you guys to finish decorating a cake? Say, like a 2 or 3 tiered cake with some bc roses and that sort of decorations or even smaller cakes like 8" or 9" round or square or whatever. Reason why I ask is because I just got a job at a bakery as a decorator. I'm a little nervous that I might be too slow. So I just wanted to know what's considered fast or slow or average as far as the amount of time it takes to finish your "average bakery cake" or "bakery wedding cake". Thanks in advance. icon_redface.gif

8 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 9

I think that I am pretty slow. A 9 inch buttercream with some roses would probably take me close to an hour. Don't be nervous...after you have been there a few weeks you will get faster at it and I am sure that you new employers know this too! Congratulations on your new job!!!!

tobinx Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much. Made me feel alot better. Hopefully, I do get faster. icon_smile.gif

veronika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronika Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 9

Sometimes I think I'll never be good at cake decorating. icon_sad.gif My dh keeps telling me that I'll get better at it as I get more practice. I hope he's right. Congrats on your great new job!! thumbs_up.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 9

Congratulations at your new job. You'll be quick in no time. And, their cakes are much simpler than you'll do at home, too, so you'll be up to speed before you know it.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinx

How long does it take you guys to finish decorating a cake? Say, like a 2 or 3 tiered cake with some bc roses and that sort of decorations or even smaller cakes like 8" or 9" round or square or whatever. Reason why I ask is because I just got a job at a bakery as a decorator. I'm a little nervous that I might be too slow. So I just wanted to know what's considered fast or slow or average as far as the amount of time it takes to finish your "average bakery cake" or "bakery wedding cake". Thanks in advance. icon_redface.gif

You do get faster as you get better at decorating or figuring out what works best for you.
It took me at least 2 hours to assemble, crumb coat, ice, and decorate my 14" wedding tier this last weekend. About and hour and half for the 10" round and an hour for the 6" round.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 9

You will get faster with practice. You can also do an assembly line to go faster. Line up similar cakes and do all the borders, then all the flowers/decorations, then all of the writing.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I haven't timed myself just decorating...

I have timed myself from the point I start torting, soaking in simple syrup, filling and icing. Then decorating

Very simple, doing all of the above 1 hr. More complex 1 1/2 hours.

If its a two tier cake stacked, depending on the design it could take 2-3 hours.

Again, I need to just time myself on how long it takes me to ice and decorate. never done that! icon_razz.gif

tobinx Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks to everyone so much for the encouragement and the tips! I guess I'm just worried because I've waited a long time for an opportunity like this and I really need this job....4 kids. It's so funny though. Despite all the effort I've made to get this type of job at alot of different places, just when I was ready to give up, this one just fell in my lap LOL!! My husband walked in to a bakery last week and asked if they needed a decorator...turns out they need one badly and when he told them that I also work with fondant, the owner literally started jumping up and down with excitement icon_lol.gif Bottom line, I just can't do anything to mess this up. Thanks once again to everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%