Lemon Cake

Baking By maemae Updated 1 Dec 2014 , 3:36am by shanter

maemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maemae Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 21

i'd like to try a lemon cake with raspberry filling...

can someone share their favorite lemon cake recipe?

Thanks! I'd like to make one tomorrow....

20 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 21

i hope that you got some help with this.. icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 21

Hi, Here's what I use for a lemon cake.
1 Dunchan Hines Lemon cake mix
1 package lemon instant pudding
1/2 c water
1/2 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 c canola oil
4 eggs
fresh grated peel of one lemon
Mix everything together - pour into prepared pan - bake at 325 degrees F until done.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 11:15am
post #4 of 21

OOOhhhhh! I have the most wonderful lemon cake recipe that I use from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook! Everyone thinks it's the best lemon cake that they've ever tasted (and they are right!), it's wonderfully moist too, I fill with lemon curd and decorate with lemon buttercream (both recipes from the same book), here's the cake recipe (although I've change the flours originally used because I find the cake flour gives a more delicate and tender texture and crumb):

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups cake flour (self-raising)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

Prepare 3 x 9in round 2in deep pans (line with parchment)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 mins). Add eggs one at a time combining well after each addition. Add flour alternately with the milk and lemon juice in four parts mixing well after each addition. Divide the batter equally between the 3 pans and bake for 25 mins (check after 20) until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre and the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 mins and then turn out onto racks to cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. Serves 12-16 wedges.

Hope that helps! I see no reson why you can't fill this with raspberry filling, although the lemon curd/buttercream combo is DIVINE!

icon_biggrin.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 21

I love lemon cake...thanks for the new recipes!

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 21

bonjovibabe - Your recipe for lemon cake sounds wonderful! Would you mind sharing the recipes for the lemon curd and lemon buttercream that you mentioned? Thanks!

Samsgranny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 21

Yes, please I would like to have that as well. Thanks a bunch!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 21

No problem! Lemon buttercream from the Magnolia Bakery (this is so delicious - I can eat far too much of this as is icon_redface.gif !):

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Add 4 cups of the sugar to the butter and beat well. Add the juice and zest and beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and mix until well combined and no lumps of sugar are visable (I beat for a good 2-3 mins).

Lemon Curd recipe (makes 3 1/2 cups):

12 egg yolks
3 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter cut into small pieces

In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, cook all of the ingrediants except the butter until thick and bubbly (stir constantly to prevent burning). Remove from heat and whisk in the butter a small piece at a time until all combined. Refridgerate until firm and spreadable. You can of course just use store bought curd, I do if I'm in a crunch for time!

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks! Can't wait to try this!

Samsgranny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks so much!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 21

mmm, I've been craving a lemon cake ever since I read this thread, and didn't want a fakey lemon cake from a mix/jello/pudding...

bonjovibabe - is this cake tangy? I want something tangy like lemon coolers...lol icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 7:24am
post #12 of 21

Oh, it's tangy! Very, very lemony - the reason I could eat so much of the buttercream on its own is because it has so much lemon juice in it, it really is tangy, lemony and not oversweet at all - I promise you'll love it, let me know what you think when you've tried it!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 21

OMG this sounds so good, I'm going to maybe make it this weekend! I'll let you know! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks for the recipe bonjovibabe-I was looking for a lemon cake recipe, though I cant say that I have ever made a scratch cake before. I usually stick to doctored mixes. Is this a pretty easy recipe to get right? I often here of scratch cakes coming out too dense or dry. Also does your lemon buttercream crust? What color is it? Cant wait to try it soon! Thanks

On a side note, I have a few boxes of Duncan Hines lemon. Does anyone know if it is any good, or anyway to doctor it? I once made a lemon cake from a mix (dont remember the brand) and it didnt think it tasted very lemony. I also dont care for the fakey lemon taste.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks bonjovibabe for the recipes! My neice wants a lemon cake for her birthday and I've been on the search for a recipe that doesn't use a box, since her lemon part will only be one layer, so I won't need to make a whole box mix.

Thanks so much!!

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

OOOhhhhh! I have the most wonderful lemon cake recipe that I use from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook! Everyone thinks it's the best lemon cake that they've ever tasted (and they are right!), it's wonderfully moist too, I fill with lemon curd and decorate with lemon buttercream (both recipes from the same book), here's the cake recipe (although I've change the flours originally used because I find the cake flour gives a more delicate and tender texture and crumb):

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups cake flour (self-raising)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

Prepare 3 x 9in round 2in deep pans (line with parchment)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 mins). Add eggs one at a time combining well after each addition. Add flour alternately with the milk and lemon juice in four parts mixing well after each addition. Divide the batter equally between the 3 pans and bake for 25 mins (check after 20) until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre and the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 mins and then turn out onto racks to cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. Serves 12-16 wedges.

Hope that helps! I see no reson why you can't fill this with raspberry filling, although the lemon curd/buttercream combo is DIVINE!

icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone tried this yet? I did today, and I didn't have enough batter to fill (3) 9 by 2 inch pans, barely had enough for (2) 9 by 2 inch pans. Do you think I might have done something wrong? The only thing I substituted was the cake flour, I used regular cake flour not self rising and then I added 4 and 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 and 1/4 tsp. of salt and sifted it twice with the cake flour. Everyting else I did exactly the same. It just came out of the ovens, and they look fine, could ahve used a little more batter to fill those pans. The smell is divine!

Cindy

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 3:19am
post #17 of 21

Thanks for the bump. I actually PM'd Trudi(who answered me, even though she was vacationing icon_biggrin.gif ), and she told me she only fills her pans an inch high, so that she doesn't ahve to torte. So my cake was actually fine.

So if you don't plan on torting, or wanting 3 layers, then the recipe will fill (2) 8 by 2 inch pans. The cake has grat texture and flavor. My substitution for self rising cake flour did work. Thanks Trudi for a great recipe!

Cindy

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 21

Might be a little late on this one, but the lemon cake recipe I've made was from the PB White Mix.

They call it Lemonade Cake it is a variation in the back of the box.

Prepare cake batter as directed using:

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed

It had a great flavor and was not over powering with lemon flavor.

Worth a try.

hth

Ladiva

toulapanos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toulapanos Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 6:12am
post #19 of 21

Athis looks like a great recipe have you ever doubled it without having an issue?

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 21

ACake flour and self raising flour are two different things where I live. Is this something different? Or is the recipe calling self raising flour cake flour?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 3:36am
post #21 of 21

They are definitely two different things.

Cake flour:

noun

a fine-textured wheat flour with high starch and low protein content for making tender pastries and cakes

Self-rising (or raising) flour:

An all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt added.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%