Marble Cake

Decorating By Nancyf Updated 30 May 2007 , 11:40pm by mbelgard

Nancyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancyf Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 10

I have a white cake mix, and a choc cake mix and I want to make a marble cake. Any one have any tips?

Thanks,

9 replies
Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 10

Try the following posts, they should help:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-314063-.html%2Amarble

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-296423-.html%2Amarble

You can also check out the recipes, There may be a marble cake you like in there.
Good Luck,
Gail

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 10

Basically, just spoon some of each mixture in and then kinda swirl it around but not much.... otherwise you lose the marble effect b/c they just blend together.

OR you can pour half choc. in one side, and vanilla in the other side (tilt the pan .... the batter shouldn't run all over the place, it should stay seperated for at least a second while you pour the other batter in.). Then use a knife or spoon to sort of swirl the center together - again, you don't want to swirl too much or you lose the effect.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 10

When you use a box mix; the chocolate is only one cup of reserved batter. This is roughly 1/4 of the mix. If you're using two equal amounts of cake batter, is it still going to be OK?

Nancyf Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 10

Good question, I'm not sure. What does Reserve Batter mean? Cake is in a 12X18 pan. Will one mix of each be enough?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

When you use a box mix; the chocolate is only one cup of reserved batter. This is roughly 1/4 of the mix. If you're using two equal amounts of cake batter, is it still going to be OK?

It sure will. I always mix one box of white and one box of chocolate then add equal amounts to the pan and swirl. I have no problems with it baking up at all.

I just did two 12x18 this last week plus multiple round sizes and it came out great. I do only do marble with the box mixes though as they are a little more forgiving than scratch recipes.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyf

Good question, I'm not sure. What does Reserve Batter mean? Cake is in a 12X18 pan. Will one mix of each be enough?

"reserve" batter is when you use a marble cake mix, the chocolate powder comes in a separate package. You make the cake mix (which is yellow). You reserve one cup of batter to mix with the chocolate powder and pour the rest into the pan. Then you dot the chocolate batter onto the yellow patter and swirl.

When I make a 12x18, I ALWAYS use two and a half cake mixes! I think two mixes will make the cake too thin ... I wonder what everybody else does.

The half mix will be 1 1/2 cups of cake mix, one egg, and cut the water and oil in half based on whatever the mix calls for.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 10

another reason i love this site i never knew what reserve batter was either.

Nancyf Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out. I love this site. I have learned a lot today!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

It sure will. I always mix one box of white and one box of chocolate then add equal amounts to the pan and swirl. I have no problems with it baking up at all.

I just did two 12x18 this last week plus multiple round sizes and it came out great. I do only do marble with the box mixes though as they are a little more forgiving than scratch recipes.

I use half and half for my marble and it turns out good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%