Fondant Bead Maker Mold Help!

Decorating By Cindy_Gl Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm by Somethin-Sweet

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 16

I purchased a bead maker mold in 8mm. I am trying to figure out how to use it, so far it has been a disaster. I was hoping for better results. This is what I have done so far.

I am using the premade satin ice fondant. I am rolling it in one long strip, the same size as the mold. I am opening the mold with one hand, while trying to stuff the fondant roll into the mold with the other hand.

I then trim off the fondant that is hanging outside the mold. When I go to open the mold (which I open immediately, do I need it to sit in there awhile?) It either sticks some, and I did use some crisco on the inside of the mold, or else it isn't a full pearl size in some places. It is NOT uniform.

Is there a trick to using this mold? Can anyone help me out? I think I might just go back to hand rolling each pearl. UGH!

TIA, Cindy

15 replies
Cindy_Gl Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 16

BUMP.....anyone???

Anyone own one? Could you reasure me that my money was not wasted on this thing?

noemis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noemis Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 16

I read somewhere that you should put a little cornstarch in the mold so it won't stick.
And then the below link states to put luster or pearl dust.

Hope it helps

Anhttp://www.countrykitchensa.com/whatshot/beads.aspx

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 16

I have one that I used for a wedding cake a few months ago. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too awful hard. I rolled my fondant in a really fat strip and stuffed all I could get into the mold before closing it. Once it's closed, I took off the excess, then squeezed it together as tight as I could to make sure they were formed. When you're putting it in, if it looks like you have a cavity that's not quite full, just cram in some more, you don't have to start the whole thing over, just stuff that one spot again. I was brushing the inside of mine with pearl dust and that worked pretty well as far as the sticking thing. It still stuck in a few spots, but not a lot. If you're not using a pearl dust, you can use crisco or corn starch.
HTH, good luck! icon_wink.gif

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 16

Dust the mold with some powdered sugar, overfill (uniformly) it with a fat roll and squash it until it closes. Trim any excess with an exacto knife.

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 16

I'm going to try to explain it the way I do it and hopefully it's clear. First I roll the fondant into like a hot dog shape (I make it a bit longer then the actual, and I don't worry about how thick it is) Just make sure you don't roll it out to thin. I only put a small amount of crisco on the very outer edges of each end of the mold. Then I hold the mold open with one hand and heavily coat it with luster dust. Then I take the fondant and just lay it in the mold before i flip it over that way I keep most of my dust in the mold. After I flip it over I keep it sort of spread and press it against the table to kind of push the fondant in the mold really well. Then i flip it back over and squeeze boths ides of the mold completely together that way all the excess it pushed out. Then I run a butter knife or spatula across the tope to detatch the extra fondant. I don't ever let it sit I just open it back up and let the pearls fall out. If Any stick I use a butter knife to gently loosen the pearls . Hope this was helpful those things can be tricky to get the hang of.

Amish Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 16

I'm going to try to explain it the way I do it and hopefully it's clear. First I roll the fondant into like a hot dog shape (I make it a bit longer then the actual, and I don't worry about how thick it is) Just make sure you don't roll it out to thin. I only put a small amount of crisco on the very outer edges of each end of the mold. Then I hold the mold open with one hand and heavily coat it with luster dust. Then I take the fondant and just lay it in the mold before i flip it over that way I keep most of my dust in the mold. After I flip it over I keep it sort of spread and press it against the table to kind of push the fondant in the mold really well. Then i flip it back over and squeeze boths ides of the mold completely together that way all the excess it pushed out. Then I run a butter knife or spatula across the tope to detatch the extra fondant. I don't ever let it sit I just open it back up and let the pearls fall out. If Any stick I use a butter knife to gently loosen the pearls . Hope this was helpful those things can be tricky to get the hang of.

Cindy_Gl Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 16

Thank you, thank you!!!

I tried the link, but it didn't work, but thanks anyway, I'll try it again later.

Tonya, thanks for the tips, I am going to use pearl dust, I just thought I applied it after the string had dried for awhile. I will use some pearl dust in the mold and see if that helps.

Now I just have to get all that greasy crisco out.

Thanks Dale for the exacto knife tip, I will try that.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 16

definitely recommend using cornstarch or pearl dust rather than crisco.

Amish Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 16

First I start by rolling the findant out into like a hot dog shape. I roll it a little bit longer than the actual mold ( I never worry about how thick it is just make sure it is not to thin). Then I lightly coat the very outer edges of each end of the mold with crisco, I never coat the inside. Then I hold it open with one hand and heavily coat the inside with luster dust. Next I place the fondant in the mold before flipping it over that way I keep most of my dust in the mold. After flipped over I press it against the table firmly still holding it open slightly because I tend to roll the fondant bigger then I have to. Next i flip it back over and press both sides of the pearl maker together to push out the extra fondant out. Then I take a butter knife or spatula to run across the top to detatch all the extra fondant. Then I flip it over and open it back up with one hand ( I never let it sit). If the pearls stick in certain spots I use a butter knofe to gently loosen them. I hope this was helpful, those things can be sort of tricky to get the hang of.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 16

Dale,
I wish I could get my husband to get into cakes! icon_biggrin.gif LOL!!!

I'm with him on this one too- try Powdered sugar- I've only used it once, and it worked great for me.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 16
Amish Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 16

Sorry for the extra prints my computer kept freezing up.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 16

...lol...I saw the thread topic and had to laugh....those things are a PAIN...I have had one for over a year....every once in a while I pull it out and give those stinkin' beads another shot....I have still NOT mastered it...I do them by hand if I'm gonna do'em....I just get so frustrated! Everyone says "...oh, dont give up, you'll get it!"
Agghhh!!!! I can't take the stress!
icon_wink.gif

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 16

Lure him with the frosting and all the things that can be done with extra frosting. We like extra frosting. He'll be asking to help make cakes before you know it.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 16

LOL! You are cracking my up Dale!!! icon_cry.gif I'm on the verge of tears!

He thinks I'm nuts for being so "into" cakes! I'll never lure him in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%