Need Help With This Bd Cake:)

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 11 Jul 2006 , 12:52pm by jguilbeau

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:44am
post #1 of 19

Good morning all, I have a Birthday cake to do today and am kinda stuck. It is for a 80th Birthday and the customer wants yellow cake (no problem) with carmel icing. But the problem is he wants decorations on it, now I'm thinking how am I going to do decorations on carmel icing, thought about regular buttercream icing but not sure how that would taste and what color to use with carmel icing. Here is the carmel icing recipe I found, if anyone has a better one I would certainly appreciate it and any help with this cakeicon_smile.gif

Carmel Frosting:

2 sticks butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated can milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners sugar

Prepare icing: Melt butter, add brown sugar and milk. Cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat stirring constantly remove from heat. Add vanilla and pour over confectioners sugar. Beat until smooth. Let cool slightly. Frost the cake.

18 replies
butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:50am
post #2 of 19

do you think that you could just use your regular buttercream recipe and put some caramel flavoring in it?

irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:53am
post #3 of 19

I had thought about that but the customer stated he wants the old timey carmel icing, it's for his grandmother and she wants a cooked icing, thanksicon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 19

Do you have time to do some kind of royal icing flowers or something like that? Maybe some fondant flowers in muted colors, since that icing is sort of a tan color... Don't know if that is any help, good luck!!

Cindy

irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Cindy, I don't think I have time to do royal maybe fondant, I am kinda short on time thats why I was hoping to do bc but just wasn't sure about the tasteicon_smile.gif

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 19

How about tootsie roll or caramel roses! Grandmothers that want "ol' timey" icing would surely love roses. Just a thought. Good luck irisinbloom.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 19

I don't know about the taste combination. You know caramel icing is very sugary sweet, but in a different way than buttercream. If you have time, how about just some simple fondant flowers. I think that would look nice. I am talking about just flat flowers, not elaborate roses, that would take too long probably. If you wanted to use buttercream, maybe a small bouquet of roses, that would really affect the taste of the caramel too much......Ok, I'm rambling....

Cindy

irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks Cindy, I just finished making the Carmel icing and boy is it ever sweet, I haven't made it in a very long time and had forgotten just how sweet it isicon_smile.gif

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 19

I did this cake for the adult day of a two year old's birthday. Her "Princess Bear" Cake was eaten on Saturday and this "12 Layer Caramel" on Sunday with the Grandparents. The buttercream was left over from her other cake, so this is why the colors are so bright.

This caramel icing is an old fashion heavy version, nothing fluffy about it. I make myself ill eating what ever is left in the bowl like candy after a cake is made. Yummm! I also make two batches for each twelve layer cake.

My caramel recipe is as follows:

1 Box Light Brown Sugar
Pinch of Baking Soda
2 Sticks Butter
1 Small Can Evaporated Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Sifted Powdered Sugar if Needed

Put first four ingrediants in large boiler and heat slowly to melt sugar. Boil for five minutes. Take off heat and add vanilla. Beat until cool and thick, add powedered sugar in needed to make even thicker.
LL

irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 19

WOW that sure is a pretty cake the blue and pink look great. This is what the end result of mine looks like. I thought what goes good with Carmel so the only thing I could come up with was chocolate bc, and I had a little green candle shaped like a balloon to add. Thanks to everyone for your helpicon_smile.gif
LL

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 19

Looks Beautiful I am sure they will love it!

Bethroze Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 19

And how exactly could I be invited to this party so that I may have a slice of that cake? I hope one day I can master the reverse shell, you did a beautiful job.

After sending off the reply, (you beat me to it with your reply that the frosting was made), I received a call from a woman wanting a sheet cake iced in caramel frosting that would feed 50 people at her mother's birthday. Just a little bit "Twilight Zone" don't you think?

irisinbloom Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 19

Oh my gosh that is sooooo weird, the whole time I was doing this cake I was thinking never again. Thanks for the kind comment, it's funny though when I took the Wilton course(can't remember which one) and we did the reverse shell I just never did get it and a year and half later it just clicked one day and ever since then I just went crazy doing them. If you can do the shell then you can do the reverse shell, it kinda puts me in mind of doing a half heart, if that makes sense. Gook luck on your cakeicon_smile.gif

Hema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hema Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:53am
post #14 of 19

I don't know anything about caramel icing and have never tasted it but how about using some bright fresh flowers to liven it up?

Bethroze Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 19

True, I still have mine to do, if I get the final order. They were doing a little shopping. Gee...does Walmart make a baked from scratch caramel cake? Anyway, fresh cream colored roses with just a touch of peach would be beautiful. Perhaps I will try my hand at gumpaste this time instead of fresh. Thanks for idea Hema. And, thank you for letting me use your message ideas irisinbloom.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 19

Don't forget, Tootsie Rolls come in a variety of flavors now, including vanilla, which would go very nicely with the caramel icing. And green Starbursts make lovely leaves.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:21pm
post #17 of 19

I can't imagine Wal-mart doing that kind of cake, it sounds like it's going to be VERY pretty, I hope you get the ordericon_smile.gif

Bethroze Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 12:33pm
post #18 of 19

I got the order! icon_biggrin.gif Things of course got confusing. I don't have a sheet pan for 50 people, so I would rent what I consider a 3/4 pan. But, now they are wanting me to use number pans they have to bake "50" and place on top of the sheet cake. Because that will add more servings, I shouldn't have to up the pan size.

Anyway, it is a mother calling me from work, and every suggestion I make is followed with, "Let me call my daughter and ask her what she thinks and I'll call you back..." Why doesn't the daughter call me?

I was invisioning something muted, perhaps try my hand at the Tootsie Roll roses, but pink and green have been suggested by the customer. (After checking with her daughter of course. icon_rolleyes.gif )

I'm sure I will be posting future questions on this one...

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 12:52pm
post #19 of 19

Your icing looks so smooth. Did it crust any and was it easy or hard to smooth it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%