Just Curious...foamboard

Decorating By Kazoot Updated 31 May 2007 , 9:04pm by mjs4492

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #1 of 27

How do you all cut your foamboard?? I decided to try it for a 3 tier grad cake. How do you keep your edges from being sharp and tearing the foil??

26 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:31am
post #2 of 27

The foam core board I use does not have foil, it's foam between 2 cardboards. I use an exacto knife to cut it. I'm not sure if this is the same as the foamboard you mentioned.

Kazoot Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:43am
post #3 of 27

Sorry......I meant tearing the foil when you cover the board after cutting! icon_confused.gif Your knife gets through 1/2 inch ok?????

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:49am
post #4 of 27

I use an electrified hot craft/exacto knife by Creative Marks/Walnut Hollow--works like a charm.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3266&PRODID=prd53380&source=search

Rae

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 27

That hot knife looks great! Just this past weekend I was trying to cut round shapes from foamcore and that was kind of a pain....so I think I need to put the hot knife on my shopping list!

Anyway, what I have done with foam core so far is to just gently score the foamcore on the first cut. You are not trying to go all the way through to the bottom at first. Then, after you've made the first cut, go back over where you cut and finish cutting all the way through. You want to make sure your exacto knife stays at a 90 deg angle so the edges will be straight. Also, you shouldn't have to force it too much. If it's not working well, than you probably need a new blade.

Courtney

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 27

Where do you all get foamcore? I always thought that would be easier to cut then cakeboards.... the corrugated cardboard kind....

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 27

I usually get mine at Michael's. The nice thing about foamcore is that you can cut it into any shape. Sometimes I need odd shaped pieces for supports inside a 3D cake or something like that.

Courtney

miriel Posted 30 May 2007 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 27

I get mine at Michael's too and stock up when they are on sale.

miriel Posted 30 May 2007 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoot

Sorry......I meant tearing the foil when you cover the board after cutting! icon_confused.gif Your knife gets through 1/2 inch ok?????

I press the cut edges on the table to sort of dull the cardboard edges. And yes, my exacto knife cuts through the 1/2" foam core just ok.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:56am
post #10 of 27

I get mine at Hobby Lobby and they have it 50% often. Like others say I always stock up when on sale, I usually wipe out their stock of 1/2"! icon_biggrin.gif

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #11 of 27

what exactly is foam core?

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #12 of 27

You can also ask the framing department at Michaels to cut it for you as well. They have special tools for this that can cut squares, rectangles, circles and ovals...possible others depending on their equipment. I use to work in a frame shop so have cut many...and the cut is nice and clean.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #13 of 27

Thanks Rae!!!!!!

The poor little knife I've got is bent.... I noticed the last board I cut was kinda "leaning" in. icon_lol.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #14 of 27

I followed another cc'rs advice and bought a Black and Decker electric 6V scissor. It's cordless and rechargeable. Holy cow this thing cuts things like butter!

I no longer struggle with an exacto knife.

I bought it at Lowes for $19.99.

mjs4492 Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:35am
post #15 of 27

(there's that avatar again icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Thanks for sharing that with me!! I had to go to our local Lowe's tomorrow and I'm going to check on that!

Kazoot Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:57am
post #16 of 27

Great ideas!! Thanks all!!!!!!

cherub5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherub5 Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:13am
post #17 of 27

i have a little tip... if your are looking for cheaper foamcore, the BEST place i have found to get some is the college's bookstore in my area. if you have a college (maybe a university?) near you, take a look! i can get it there for a 1/4 what i would pay at michael's. icon_wink.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:24am
post #18 of 27

Ok...what size is the foamcore board...I guess maybe depth of it. And will it hold cake tiers well? I am doing a 5 tier stacked wedding cake and I have the stress free supports to use between the layers. I hate to have to cut the boards and never know if they will stand up to the weight...

miriel Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:56am
post #19 of 27

Foamcore board is 20"x30" in 2 thicknesses: 1/4" and 1/2".

CakeRN Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:04am
post #20 of 27

so...the thicker the better?? and you can dowel it too???

miriel Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:22am
post #21 of 27

I use different thicknesses depending on the size of the cake, (for smaller cakes, I use the 1/4"). And yes, you can dowel. It is foam sandwiched between sturdy cardboard. If you're looking to do a long center dowel thru all cake tiers, I would sharpen one end to drive it thru easier.

CakeRN Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:32pm
post #22 of 27

Thanks for the info miriel.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I followed another cc'rs advice and bought a Black and Decker electric 6V scissor. It's cordless and rechargeable. Holy cow this thing cuts things like butter!

I no longer struggle with an exacto knife.

I bought it at Lowes for $19.99.

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:00pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

Ok...what size is the foamcore board...I guess maybe depth of it. And will it hold cake tiers well? I am doing a 5 tier stacked wedding cake and I have the stress free supports to use between the layers. I hate to have to cut the boards and never know if they will stand up to the weight...

You may need something sturdier than foam core for your 5-tier wedding cake to be on the safe side. HTH.

CakeRN Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:52pm
post #25 of 27

If I use wood on the bottom tier and the stress free support system plus the foam board would that be sturdy enough?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #26 of 27

Colette told us in her class that all she uses is foam boards. I think the way you have it layed out will work great!

mjs4492 Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:04pm
post #27 of 27

Question about the Black & Decker tool:

Does it cut the 1/2" foam board pretty easy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%