I Have S' Many Questions! :)

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 26 May 2005 , 5:47pm by Iggy

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everybody! I'm new here and have had so much fun looking at all the pictures and learning new things. I have some questions though. I've never taken a course, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions. I always do my kids' birthday cakes, and family cakes usually, and do a fairly nice job. But I have only worked with basic buttercream, nothing too fancy, and I would love to venture out a little and learn some new techniques. I've read about the MMF on here and would like to try it on a wedding shower cake I'm doing in a couple of weeks. What do you use to color it? Is it fairly easy to use? When doing a round cake, how many layers of cake do you typically use to achieve that nice tall effect? Other than the shower cake, I'm making my son's 7th bday cake on 7/11 and the groom's cake for my brother's wedding on 7/25. For my son's cake, he wants Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader having a light saber battle, so I thought about trying a bct. I've never done one before, but saw the instructions on here and want to give it a shot. The groom's cake is going to be a little tricky I'm afraid, and I'd like any suggestions anyone has. He wants a cake done of a fish with the words "She's A Keeper" incorporated. (When anyone asked about his girlfriend, he would always jokingly reply with, "Well, I think she's a keeper.") Their wedding colors are silver, sage green and baby blue, so I'd like to do something with their colors. Any ideas? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

2 replies
melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there! Maybe I can answer a couple of your questions....

The MMF is great! It's really easy to work with, I love it! You can color it with your regular icing color pastes. If you get some powder free gloves, just dab some coloring in your MMF and kinda knead it in, pulling & stretching & kneading 'till it's all mixed in. The gloves are just so your hands don't get stained.

To make a tall layer, I bake 2 cakes, and torte & fill each of them, and stack them, so you get 4 layer, 3 layers of filling.

I'm not sure about your other questions. Good luck!

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 26 May 2005 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 3

For a nice tall effect you can use no more than 3 two inch layers filled OR 2 three inch layers using three inch deep pans. AS for the fish...what about using "Dory" from Finding Nemo? It's a female fish and it would invoke a little humor into the cake. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%