Wilton Fondant

Baking By cupcakequeen Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 1:58pm by SugarBlossomCakes

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

Has taken regular white fondant (premade by wilton...YUCK) and turned it into Chocolate Fondant? I read on their site that you melt 1 bag chocolate melts and mix with corn syrup...

Any other suggestions? Will it work if I just add melted chocolate to it and then kneed it in?

thx

8 replies
oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 9

I've never tried it, but have read on this forum about people doing it.

However, for my input, I highly recommend avoiding Wilton Fondant at all costs. Yuck icon_sad.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 9

Since you are already buying fondant I would recommend the Choco-pan dark chocolate fondant. The shipping is reasonable ( but I don't know about Canada) the taste is great and it's easy to work with.

oh, www.choco-pan.com

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 9

I've also had choco-pan recommended to me and hope to try it soon...

Just wanted to add my OH-MY-GOD-HOW-DISGUSTING-IS-THIS comment about Wilton fondant...LOL

I'm now a big fan of MMF, having tried it for the first time this weekend...tastes like marshmallows, but I still won't eat it b/c it's WAAAY too sweet...

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

Wilton fondant is the most disgusting fondant out there. It tastes awful. I use Satin Ice and it is really delicious!!!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:50am
post #6 of 9

I TOTALLY agree about Wilton Fondant. It's just so wrong icon_wink.gif

I love MMF and use it always...but I added cocoa to it last night and it is tough!!! I've let it sit for 24 hours, added water, kneeded it to kingdom come and it is still dry and tough!! I tried rolling it out and it keeps ripping.

What can I do to fix it? I'd hate to use wilton's stuff...

I can buy choco-pan, but I'm in a rush and might not be able to run out and buy it tomorrow...

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

leta Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:32am
post #7 of 9

I would have added Crisco instead of Water.

Try adding glycerine into it drop by drop. See if that helps out.

I have tried adding cocoa pwder to fondant before. It worked best to add just a little cocoa powder, then add brown food coloring to improve the color.

Good luck!

leta Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:37am
post #8 of 9

What is the fondant for? Are you covering a cake with it? Maybe you could whip up some ganache and pour over the cake. Or make a rolled buttercream, or something. Sounds like you're in a pickle. Maybe you need to go on to something else besides fondant if it is possible.

I'm anxious for you icon_redface.gif Hope things turn out alright.

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 9

Can you use ganache???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%