How Do You Know If You Are Good Enough?

Business By hsmomma Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 12:54am by krazeekaker

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 18

Seriously,
How do you know that you are good enough to start a business? I've done zillions of cakes for my family and friends. I've even had company contracts and did sheet cakes and a few random wedding cakes for pay (years ago before having my children). If you feel like you are still learning your craft (like I am) how do you KNOW that you can actually do it? When did you feel comfortable and confident that you could do what a potential client wanted? I'm not sure I am there yet but, am ready to try.
My dh and I own our own commercial kitchen that is fully licensed and insured (and actually scored 100% on the last 3 years of inspections!icon_wink.gif. So, it really wouldn't take a HUGE leap of faith to begin. I have everything I need ~ supply wise. Except for the "newest tools" I often end up JUST HAVING to have! So, all that is in place. It's my nervousness holding me back. So, just looking for some advice....
When did you know that you could pull it off ~ and how long did it take to get past the jitters? And how did you approach clients in the beginning...did you let them know that you were a novice? TIA

17 replies
johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:22am
post #2 of 18

Do you ever really know????I question myself all the time.........but with that said .....Take the leap!!!!You will never no other wise...........I opened my shop 4 years ago.........some days Im on top of my game.... some days Im like holy crap what have I done icon_lol.gif but everyday Im the happiest Ive ever truly been!!

Good Luck!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #3 of 18

Are people searching you out and are they willing to pay you for your work? Then you are good enough.

GO! thumbs_up.gif

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:18am
post #4 of 18

I think I knew when I had to make 23 to 26 cakes in a weekend, oh boy, I told my husband that I need a bigger refrigerator and a commercial oven in order to keep up with my orders.hopefully next month I am going to dallas to look for commercial equipment, I had save some money since I started selling cakes last year.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:25am
post #5 of 18

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif lily, THAT would be a BIG clue! I'm impressed!! thumbs_up.gif

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:00am
post #6 of 18

if you are getting repeat business, love what you are doing, go for it!
also, we are all still learning, it never ends. new styles and techniques will always come and go.

take the plunge! thumbs_up.gif

geeyanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geeyanna Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:57am
post #7 of 18

Wow HSMomma!!
I would say start now. If I owned a commercial kitchen AND was licensed, I'd probably be busy right now baking cakes. And I'd probably be working for myself instead of for someone else. It is my absolute dream to own my own cake decorating business. It is so frustrating knowing I can make things but not being able to sell professionally because I don't have a licensed kitchen....nor do I have enough money to get one. Which means I have to create a business plan.

Sorry for the rambling.

If I were you I'd start my business ASAP.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:08am
post #8 of 18

hsmomma- Your cakes are great. Go for it! You have your own kitchen, your cakes are great why are you questioning yourself? Take the plunge..... thumbs_up.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #9 of 18

Wow hsmomma, you already have what you need, I would just take a leap of faith and enjoy the ride. If you have customers, you are ready. I feel you though. I was offered a spot in a local chef's restaurant and I'm nervous as he** 'cause I don't ever want to disappoint anyone. It's one thing to be in my own space but to be in my own space in someone elses space....pressure. I am my worst critic and never think I'm good enough but everyone around me seems to think I'm the one to be. I'm confident some days and critical most others. I see others and only wish I could be as good. I want to be the BEST but I realized, there are many BEST. I would just love to be among them. I feel you and hope you see the best in yourself and go on to accomplish it. Fear is very crippling...don't allow it to handicap you. icon_wink.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 18

You are in a position that MANY would give anything to be in. do it!!!! What's the worst thing that can happen?

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:41am
post #11 of 18

Don't hesitate...I have had family telling me forever that I should be doing cakes as my career. I started when I was ten. I'm now 41 and just starting my business. I'm kicking my a$$ for not starting sooner. Don't let the fear cripple you. DO IT!!! Just jump and take the chance.

Good luck!!

Patrice

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 18

Hi, I just started my own business, I am sort of a personal dessert chef, I am brand new at this and I am looking for any help that anyone is willing to give.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:11am
post #13 of 18

I think you also need to look around you and see what your competition is doing. If you need to, update your style so you are doing the very latest, cutting edge cakes. You also have to know what your clientele wants, are they homespun buttercream cakes only, or sleek fondant with gumpaste flowers, or something inbetween? Do you have an "in" with the wedding venues in your area? Or would you rather do strictly birthday, holiday, special occasion cakes? Lots of possibilities in this area. Most of all, are you ready to lose every weekend with your family if the business really takes off? Do you have young children and are you prepared to seldom see them until the business gets off the ground? I don't mean to seem negative, but you have to look at the whole picture and all the possibilities. I have seen more than one person ruin a hobby they loved by going into a full time business of cakes. I have seen others thrive from the challenge and fulfillment they get from having their own business.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:28am
post #14 of 18

I would say now seems like a great time. If people like your work, will pay for your work, and come back for more, PLUS you have the right place to do it...there's no time like the present. Good luck!!

I have the first three criteria in line...people like my work, will pay for it, and come back, but I do not have the time/money to put into a commercial kitchen now...I am saving and praying that someday it will happen!

Seize the day!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:28am
post #15 of 18

I'd have to be one of one's adven is referring too!! I would absolutely love to be where you are now. A dream with possibilities? Go for it!! icon_smile.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:31am
post #16 of 18

Well, I don't know about your level of committment to the idea, but I do know that you definately have the talent and should go for it! I think you have an amazing opportunity, just remember to do your research and make sure that it would be profitable and enjoyable!

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:47am
post #17 of 18

Based on the pictures you posted I would buy a cake from you. You will only get better and better with practice so the more cakes so do the better icon_smile.gif

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #18 of 18

If you've got the means and and the stamina to take on the challenge, I say go for it. Unfortunately, we can't please all customers. Some cakes are going to be big hits and others aren't. The brighter side of it is there will be more big hits than misses. Follow your dreams and take a chance. If you don't take the chance then you'll always wonder what it would of been like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%