Want To Try Fbct, Please Help!

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 30 May 2007 , 2:10pm by coolchc21

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 22

I'm still currently in Course 1 and we're doing the piping gel method, but I would like to try a fbct on a cake for my daughter's birthday in a few weeks. I read the tutorial, but still have a couple questions (sorry if they are stupid questions but I'm still very new to this) icon_smile.gif .

Do you thin the buttercream more than you would thin it to ice the cake? Also which tip do you use to fill in the color after outlining? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Stephanie ~ cake bakin' momma to 6 girls icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 22

Yes, I make my BC fairly thin, but not too much. Just slightly thinner than I use on the cake. I'm sorry, I don't know how to describe it.
I use tip 2 or maybe 3 if I have a fairly large area to fill it.
HTH

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 22

I usually use tip 5 to fill in a large area

Personally I wouldn't recommend using the already made Wilton black icing in a tube....I had bad experience with it..but everyone's different.

Don't worry...you'll be amazing how the FBCT all comes together. You'll love it!

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 22

I was very nervous with my first transfer but it went pretty smooth and was really fun! Just be sure to smooth your frosting before you freeze, otherwise you will get a "wormy" look to the image. You can see what I mean in my LarryBoy cake, he looks like he has intestines!

You'll love doing them! Good luck!

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 22

what do you mean by smooth the icing????

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 22

What I did to smooth mine...was covered it with wax paper and just went back and forth on it with a spatula...that gets the wormy effect out and also blends all together very nicely icon_smile.gif

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 22

After you get the icing all over the transfer, and you put your layer to cover the whole thing, first tip is don't make it too thick or it will stand high off of your cake, second tip, once you get that layer on there, kinda push down on the spatula as you smooth to get the lines out of the original, just don't pull the icing, or you may smear your image, do a trial run of a smaller image first, also the less detailed the better. I use 1,2,3 & 5 to fill in, just depends on how small the area is that I'm needing to fill in is. I use regular icing just like I do to ice my cake and just add cocoa to it to get a brown before adding black paste color to it, and it's fine.

cakecastle Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'm so glad I found this forum icon_biggrin.gif . I will probably do a practice one before I make the real cake, just to be sure I can get it right. You should see the pooh I tried last weekend with the piping gel, he was hideous, lol. I thought this may be easier because at least if I mess up I can do it over without messing up my cake.

And thanks for the hint on smoothing the icing, I definately don't want a wormy Hello Kitty, lol.

Stephanie ~ cake bakin' momma to 6 girls icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #9 of 22

I'm new at all the forums...don't understand all the shortened names..what is FBCT? sorry if this is really a stupid question!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:20am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyJam

I'm new at all the forums...don't understand all the shortened names..what is FBCT? sorry if this is really a stupid question!

Frozen Buttercream Transfer= FBCT

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #11 of 22

There are no stupid questions....I think all of us wondered when we first found this site what some of the shortened names were.

Good luck with your transfer!

CakesbyJam Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #12 of 22

ok...bear with me...why would you want to use frozen butter cream what does the transfer part mean....again...I'm sorry for sounding not informed on this!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:37am
post #13 of 22

Once you do them, You'll find several ways will work - there isn't just ONE way to do. For instance, I don't deal with worming AT ALL until it's on the cake, has thawn and crusted, then, when it's crusted, I use the High Density Foam roller and can get all worms out ina couple passes. To me, this is much safer than any other method, plus, if I DO need to do a touch up, then I can blend it in unnoticeably.

Second, I don't put a backing on my FBCT because it can make the amount of icing on my cake too much for my stomach to handle, but I do make sure every outline is overlapped somehow - and MOST important is to make sure your transfer is EVEN all across the back, otherwise, you get a hilly cake top when it thaws out!

I make them one of two ways too - I either make the ENTIRE cake top the transfer so that you can't see where the transfer is, or I make just the figure.

Examples of the whole top in my gallery are: peanuts gang, Mouse, Curious George, Elmo and "sort of" the firetruck as I made it big, just not the entire cake top. Pictures of my "image only" transfers are the backyardigans and Garfield. You can see on my backyardigans how THIN I can make them, but you have to be VERY careful to make sure EVERY OUTLINE is covered/overlapped somehow. I didn't overlap the outer outline of the Garfield cake and tahts' why the circle is a little messed up as I had to touch it up after it was all done.

berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:43am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyJam

ok...bear with me...why would you want to use frozen butter cream what does the transfer part mean....again...I'm sorry for sounding not informed on this!!

Here's the article:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

I use them quite a bit since I can't draw to save my life!

Melissa

CakesbyJam Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:47am
post #15 of 22

Now I get it ... thanks so much. Cake Central website has helped me so much and everyone has been great! icon_wink.gif

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:50am
post #16 of 22

Stephanie, here's a hello kitty transfer that I just did. I smoothed out my icing a little differently. I froze the transfer for about 30 min. then took my wooden fondant roller to roll all over it. This way the surface was firm and didn't stick to the roller, yet the inside was still soft enough to push the icing down and get rid of the worms.
LL

cakecastle Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:25am
post #17 of 22

coolchc21-That looks wonderful! I hope I can get mine to turn out as well.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! thumbs_up.gif

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:23am
post #18 of 22

I've never done a FBCT yet. Check out the thread about the chocolate transfers.......it sounds a little easier. Maybe you could practice both and decide which one you want to use.
Laura

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:41am
post #19 of 22

that is very nice

berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:53am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by laweymers

I've never done a FBCT yet. Check out the thread about the chocolate transfers.......it sounds a little easier. Maybe you could practice both and decide which one you want to use.
Laura

Chocolate transfers are easier (my blues clues cake is one), but they aren't the same. If you use chocolate transfers on a cake - flat, you would have to take it off to cut the cake. I like them for standing up on the cake though!

Both are fun!

Mleissa

cakecastle Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #21 of 22

I've never heard of a chocolate transfer, I'll have to look it up and maybe give it a try sometime. Thanks!

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #22 of 22

Stephanie, since you have a few weeks, I would recommend you do a couple of trial runs. My first one didn't turn out that great, but each time I do one, I learn from my mistakes. icon_smile.gif

Also, when I do mine, I make the whole top of the cake a transfer (suggested by another cc'er). This way you don't have any raised parts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%