Customer Asked For My Recipe - How Do I Respond?

Decorating By 1234me Updated 31 May 2007 , 3:00am by CelebrationsbyLori

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:29am
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

...which brings to mind something else I'm not keen to share, this very website! Then people will realise I'm not as original or talented as they thought!!!

I almost spit mu coffee on that one! icon_lol.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:50am
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

...which brings to mind something else I'm not keen to share, this very website! Then people will realise I'm not as original or talented as they thought!!!

Yep, no way would I tell anyone about this site! If people are savvy they'll find it on their own, I don't need to point them to the door and learn all my secrets!

Melissa

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:08am
post #63 of 69

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks to you all, it's 7:05 am here Wed morning and I'm laughing until I'm crying on these old commercials. Hilarious I say, Cambo and Debi your killing me here..........................I've got a few more pages to read , but don't know if I can now. Thanks again for the laughs and the Utube. icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:51am
post #64 of 69

I have to agree with the not sharing CC with anyone lol. I tell them I have a cake idea site that I go to for ideas when they don't know exactly what they want and then I'll save pics to my favorites and show them without letting them actually see the link or the site name for fear they'll come here and make thier own cakes and I'll lose that business lol.

My husband's ex-wife's mom asked me for my buttercream recipe because "it tastes so much better then the super market cakes" and wanted my butter cream and cake recipe. I just looked at her and laughed and thanked her for the compliment and told her they were my grandmother's recipes and I was sworn to secracy before she passed and I couldn't share them but I'd be happy to supply her with an order form for her next function. I've yet to get an order from her lmao... Go figure!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

I have to agree with the not sharing CC with anyone lol. I tell them I have a cake idea site that I go to for ideas...

I tell them I have friends all over the world through the internet thumbs_up.gif ~~ and I seriously feel that way too.

As far as sharing recipes, I just tell them that I'll share any recipe except the ones I use for business.

shturpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shturpin Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:25pm
post #66 of 69

I tell them sorry, it's my signature recipe. Period. Nuff said...

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:28pm
post #67 of 69

A former cake decorator in my area sold her recipes for quite a few $ when she retired. I wonder if she used the cake extender. icon_biggrin.gif

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:07am
post #68 of 69

Talking about old commercials...how about the one (I think it was L'eggs) that the little girls says...Look Mommy, you look like an elephant or something like that about her sagging pantyhose around her ankles?

Even back then I wanted to back-hand the little brat! lol

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:00am
post #69 of 69

One word PROPRIETARY. End of story. I very politely say, I'm quite sorry, but ALL my recipes are proprietary to my business. And then as several others suggested, I tell them to Google whatever they are asking about and I'm sure they'll get thousands of recipes. Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%