Bird-Of-Paradise In Buttercream?

Decorating By Pyxxydust Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 12:43am by SarahJane

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, all you fabulous decorators!

I have an anniversary cake this week, and her favorite flowers are orchids and birds-of-paradise. It's a carrot cake, but I'll do the flowers in buttercream if I have to. I can't think of any possible way to do orchids in buttercream, but the other flower seems like you could do it - just not 3D but sort of flat against the cake. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or pictures of this? Thanks for any help! I've been away from CC for a while and it feels so good to be back - the separation was just too much for me to bear. Like a part of me was missing!

3 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 4

Unfortunately I am at work, but have a book at home showing how to do buttercream flowers, including orchid. I also have very old Wilton books and if I remember right, have a bird of paradise in it............. PM me and tonite I will check the books and will scan instructions for you.

deb

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 4

Hmmmm. I don't think I even know what a bird-of-paradise flower looks like so I would be interested in knowing how to make one as well.

I do remember overhearing my dad say, when I was a kid, something about may your wife get runners in her hose and the bird of paradise fly up your nose. But I kind of doubt that is talking about the flower you are referring to.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

Birds of paradise are beautiful. They have a thick stem and are yellow and red. The red sort of comes out of the side of the steam and look like a beak. they are very unique. I don't know where, but I've seen them before done in buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%