Place Real Flowers On A Cake

Decorating By tashaluna Updated 31 May 2007 , 3:25am by SusieMcG

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 28 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding in july and the bride has asked for a cake with real flowers on top. I know about flower picks but what do you do when you want like a little group of flowers on top. I am doing seven teirs all on separate stands. is there a special thing you use? this will be soooo very helpfull.

9 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 May 2007 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 10

You can wrap the stems with a floral pick and floral tape on each one, then tape all the flowers together in a posy or bouquet and either just lay it on top of the cake with a little piece of press and seal between the flowers and icing. Or cover a small disc of styrofoam in fondant and stick the wired flowers into the foam, then set on top of the cake. Even doing that I would check the list of poisonous or toxic flowers and also try and find flowers grown without pesticides.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:41am
post #3 of 10

I require brides provide all florals, silk or real. If my bride was looking for real flowers on top, I would suggest that she tell her florist what she is wanting so the florist can create 'an arrangement'. These are usually on some kind of base (I've seen them on plastic coffee can lids!) that can just be placed on the cake. I tell the bride the size of the top tier so her florist can plan accordingly.

I'm not a florist ..... I dont' do flowers.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #4 of 10

oh thank you that by itself helps me alot

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #5 of 10

Our topper was silk flowers - but they were placed on an upside down cup lid (the plastic kind - like from McD's). Would work fine for fresh I'd think.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:56am
post #6 of 10

I just did a cake on the weekend and used real flowers. (Sorry I haven't had a chance to post a picture yet but I will tomorrow.) I used my cake scraps and squished them into a ball and stuck the flowers into that. I then took the lid from a cool whip container, cut it to the size of the top of the cake and put the "Cake Ball" on top of that. Most of the flowers i wrapped in floral tape along with a toothpick put some I just stuck into the ball. Everything stayed in place and the flowers looked good.

SusieMcG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieMcG Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:09am
post #7 of 10

Is there a list somewhere of the flowers that are "ok" to touch a cake directly, versus the ones which need to have a barrier (i.e., flower pick, plastic wrap, holder/vase, etc)?? I've seen a lot of cakes recently decorated with fresh flowers, where they are just laying directly on the cake, and I was a little leery....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #8 of 10

I'm making a Mexican Paste plaque for the top of a wedding cake I have due in September to hold the fresh flower topper.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #9 of 10

SusieMcG
Look in the Articles under General, you will find a list of non-toxic flowers icon_smile.gif

SusieMcG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieMcG Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10

Awesome, thanks Beth for the heads-up!!!! Still new to this site and trying to learn my way around the documents, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%