Chocolate Icing Problem....

Decorating By Raisen Updated 5 Jul 2006 , 2:23am by cindy6250

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:12am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

OK..I made crusting Buttercream icing then added about 1 cup of bakers cocoa in it (initially I only put 3/4 cup but it wasn't chocolaty enough) Now I dont like the taste...it tastes just like the powder cocoa - a dry almost bitter kind of taste. I dont know if you know what I mean.
Do you think adding some melted chocolate chips or chocolate candy melts will make it taste better or maybe some milk? I hate to scrap the whole thing....

THanks for you input....

5 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 12:14am
post #2 of 6

try some chocolate syrup instead of the milk.

Raisen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:06am
post #3 of 6

Well, I went ahead and made a new batch-only using 3/4 cup of cocoa.
It still has a bitter / after taste to me.... I'm not much of a chocolate person anyway... icon_rolleyes.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

I always make mocha buttecream instead of chocolate buttercream and everyone raves. I use the 3/4 cup of cocoa and then brewed coffee instead of milk. I've never made chocolate without making it mocha.

Raisen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

I think I'd prefer the Mocha...you made me think here...I DIDN'T use milk in this...maybe thats why it tastes like it does.? I wasn't sure if using milk would make the icing go bad cuz it will be sitting out overnight then part of the next day. (in airconditioning), Can I use the milk in the icing without worring?

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 2:23am
post #6 of 6

You can use milk and it will be fine. You should check out the recipe for Chocolate Syrup Buttercream. It is way better than the kind with just cocoa. I only us it now. It's very creamy and chocolately.

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%