I Feel Like Am Cheating

Decorating By tame Updated 29 May 2007 , 2:39am by tame

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:25am
post #1 of 16

okay, i listen to everyone post about sam buttercream, and since I wanted to save time i went and got a bucket , i usually make my own. I did not like the taste of it and I felt so quilty because i felt like the cake i was doing was a sam, or walmart cake because i use their buttercream and did not make my own.. the lady that i was doing the cake for had order a pound cake from me the week early, this was her first time ordering a birthday cake, even though she has seen my work. I use the buttercream from sam on the cake that i did for her and now i am just wondering if she like the taste of the cake. I just was just feeling guilty the whole time i was doing the cake for not making the buttercream. the cake was just a basic a 9x13 inch sheet cake with candy molds on it. I even added almond flavoring to the sam buttercream to try to acheive the taste that i was looking for but just still did not like the taste of the buttercream and now I have a whole bucket to go. I like every thing else about the butter cream especially not having to make it. Ijust did not like the taste

15 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:40am
post #2 of 16

If she liked YOUR cake enough to order another one from you, then I think I would have given her a product of equal value....... If I didn't like the taste, I don't think I would serve it to anyone else.....

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:43am
post #3 of 16

Well, maybe you can salvage the rest of the bucket by making half batches and adding half of Sam's to it.
As for the client, I would ask her about the buttercream...just tell her you tried a new recipe and you weren't 100% pleased with it.
As for the cheat thing... it's not...it's a product.... just because you didn't make it from scratch doesn't make it not real... maybe not as good as your own homemade but it's still a viable product for those that like it.
Maybe the half and half thing will work out...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:43am
post #4 of 16

It doesnt matter if you are "cheating" or not. What matters is if you like the way it tastes and if you think your customers will.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:44am
post #5 of 16

I don't think you were cheating unless she'd previously tasted your homemade frosting and then you switched it on this cake. That being said, if you don't like the way the frosting tastes, then I would say don't use it. Its not worth losing the business by using something that doesn't meet your standards.

Your cakes look great, btw!

Cindy

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:57am
post #6 of 16

I got the sams icing after reading it on here as well. I hated it so I still make my own icing no short cuts there. Oh well, I have a bucket full of pratice icing (the sams stuff) but I was happy it was reall cheap and I dont pratice with my good icing any more. so don't feel bad your not alone.

tame Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 16

No she has never gotten a cake from me before other then the pound cake so she would not know what the other buttecream taste like. She was a new client. i just wanted to try and keep her .she order a 9x13 inch cake and a dozen of chocolate covered strawberries. I guess i will just use the sam 's buttecream for pratice cakes or freebies. I just had seen so many post on how good the buttercream tasted and I too along time ago use to buy the buttercream it was $40 for the bucket sam is selling now for $27 so i thought i would be getting a deal and still saving time. I have gotten use now to making it and have had good comments like ( even the icing taste good) Or I had a cake and the icing was too sweet and your is just right. I guess back to making the buttercream.

Cakeygoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeygoodness Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 16

I made the WASC cake and frosted it with Sam's BCI. I have to say everyone thought it was too sweet and it masked the flavor of the cake.
I too will be using it for practice and go back to making homemade. icon_smile.gif

tame Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 16

cindyww

Thanks ! I seen your photos too and your cakes are great, i see you don't do many sheet cakes and that is what i am trying to get away from. I just cake seem to find a lot who like the taste of the fondant. I have some cakes in the freezer that i made with left over batter , I guess now is a good time to do some of the cakes that i have wanted to do but haven't since i am off from my other job for a week and I have a whole bucket of icing to use up and some new tool to try. icon_rolleyes.gif

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 28 May 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 16

I know it's hard to spend money on something and then have to waste that money by not using what you've bought, but why would you do a freebie cake with a product you don't like? Potential customers might think that this is always what your cakes/icing taste like and not want to order from you.

I was in your position several years ago and learned this the hard way icon_cry.gif

tame Posted 28 May 2007 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 16

when I said freebie
I was talk about giving it to my family or freinds these are people who have already taste my cakes and know why i am giving the cake away I don't like the icing but sam put it on their cakes so soone like it. I just don't .

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:12am
post #12 of 16

That's a different story, then. I guess maybe I misunderstood. I was thinking more of strangers than people who know you and your cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:20am
post #13 of 16

I am looking from the customer's point of view.

If I thought you cake tasted no different than what I could get at Sam's then Sam's is where I would go the next time.

I was at Sam's today and I can not believe how low they price their bakegoods. But they do a sloppy job.

Two large cookies like Mrs. Fields was $12.95. But it did look over done.

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #14 of 16

How about using the extra icing in with ingredients for cake balls?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #15 of 16

Yah, if I didnt like the way it tasted I wouldnt of used it on a new client. Thats one sure way not to get another order from her. I would maybe say something to her about it and maybe tell her you will discount a future order if she didnt like it.
I would donate the stuff to your local food bank or use it for something like cupcakes for kids at school. There are too many grocery stores and such doing cakes at cheap prices to lose a client over it.

tame Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:39am
post #16 of 16

Hold up everyone

I was the one feeling gulity about doing the cake she was a new client whom had never order a cake from me before other then a pound cake. So really she truly would not know what my buttercream taste like but I would. Thats what the whole post was about I felt like that by me using the sams buttercream I was cheating my client and i felt like that she could have gotten her cake from sams as well. ( i have already stated that). Yet so many of my fellow ccer gave rave reviews on the sam buttercream so I deicided to try it. Don't get me wrong because i am sure that everyone does not make their own butter cream. I use to run a bakery and we did not and also did not bake our cakes we order them. I will not give the buttercream to another paying customer . yet I do have friends you have kids that would love a free cake . I love every thing else about the buttercream just not the taste. The client never said anything about the cake it just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%