What's Your Fav Cake, Filling, Frosting Combo?

Decorating By maemae Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 4:03am by maemae

maemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maemae Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 22

So i can focus on the decorating part for a while...could someone suggest their favorite cake, filling, frosting, combo...just so i rest knowing that what i make most people will like and that they're all easy for a newbie to make - meaning mostly reliable and user friendly.

21 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 22

To eat or make!! icon_lol.gif

Well, I love the taste of my cinnamon buttermilk chocolate cake, milk chocolate ganache filling, a light layer of buttercream, and then finished off with MMF!!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Amy

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 22

Well, my favorites are either white cake with raspberry filling and cream cheese icing OR yellow cake with fresh banana cream filling and cream cheese icing. I also like white cake with key lime filling and cream cheese icing. Enjoy!! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 22

I am a plain jane... I like Vanilla cake with Buttercream icing... if I have a filling I like Vanilla pudding, or cherry.

But really just give me the cake and you can keep the icing/filling.

Leily

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 22

My favorite cake combo is one that won me third place in a cake decorating contest in my area. I made a chocolate genoise with raspberry mousse and real French buttercream. The cake can get a bit dry if its baked too long, but it matches the mousse perfectly, and the buttercream complements the combination without overpowering it.

~Nicole

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 22

I just made Chocolate Cake with Banana Cream filling and it was a WONDERFUL combo! Good Luck!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 22

I have so many! Orange cake with pineapple/cocoanut/orange filling, chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream, white cake with raspberry mousse to name a few.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 22

deep chocolate cake w/ mocha filling and frosting drenched in chocolate ganache w/ chocolate ice cream (HD: Belgium Chocolate Chocolate when I can find it)

naw...I'm not a chocoholic! icon_rolleyes.gif

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 22

I can't remember the exact name of the mix but I think that it is called cinnamon swirl? Anyway...I make that cake (doctored up) and used Nutella as the filling. So it is a cinnamon/chocolate/hazelnut combo....OMG.....It is SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!!!

koolchica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolchica Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 22

I just started trying out fillings. My fav combo so far is a chocolate cake, cookies anc cream filling and chocolate gnache for the frosting.
Tracie

maemae Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 22

WOW....what a great start! Thanks everyone!!!! Next question...most of these recipes here at cakecentral, right???

I've never even heard of orange cake...but it sounds very summer-y!!! Cookies and cream filling??? yum!

maemae Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 22

could someone forward me their raspberry mousse recipe...my raspberries are coming in right now...i'd love an excuse to use them up

[email protected]

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:30am
post #13 of 22

Chocolate cake with either chocolate ganache or bailey's chocolate mousse!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:40am
post #14 of 22

Lemon cake, with raspberry filling and buttercream icing. Yummy!

sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykakes

I can't remember the exact name of the mix but I think that it is called cinnamon swirl? Anyway...I make that cake (doctored up) and used Nutella as the filling. So it is a cinnamon/chocolate/hazelnut combo....OMG.....It is SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!!!

I wish I hadn't read this post. Nutella, Nutella here I come. I already use it too much at my house. Now on cakes, too? Yahoo!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 22

I have a tie:
Lemon cake with snow white buttercream frosting
A really good, moist, tasty carrot cake with no nuts or pineapple with a cream cheese frosting.
If anyone has a recipe for a flavorful, moist carrot cake without pineapple or nuts, I'd love to have it! (Please PM it to me, or put it on this discussion)
(My husband chose that one as one of our layers for our wedding cake- but I can't find a close match for the recipe in taste! Last year, we drove 5 hours round trip to pick up our 1st anniversary tier from the baker (who was where I used to live.) Now, her contact information has changed and I can't get ahold of her!

BekkiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BekkiM Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 22

Pistachio cake with white chocolate buttercream. Mmmmmmmm....
Chocolate cake with raspberry filling and bittersweet chocolate ganache.
Carrot cake (Sorry, MavericksMommy, I'm a HUGE fan of pineapple, nuts, AND coconut icon_razz.gif so I can't help you with your recipe search) with cream cheese frosting.
Just to name a few!

(I'm going to have to make that lemon combination this weekend, though, that sounds yummy!)

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 22

I love the raspberry mousse filling II on this site with both lemon and chocolate cake. Here is a link to the recipe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2030-Rasberry-mousse-filling-II.html

abcmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abcmommie Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:55pm
post #19 of 22

I don't use many fillings becouse I don't have room to refrigerate. What needs to be refrigerated and what doesn't. I would like good filling recipes that don't need refrigerated. Thanks

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:40am
post #20 of 22

BekkiM,

Be prepared to get addicted to the lemon combo! Everyone I've given it to is! I can't stop myself when I make it. I made 3 flavors for the 4th of July and that is the one that didn't make it till the end of the night- the other two were more than 1/2 there.

Enjoy! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #21 of 22

My favorite is orange cake with chocolate filling and frosting, or Italian Cream with Cream Cheese frosting. I also love carrot cake with cream cheese.

One frequent request I get is white cake with chocolate frosting/filling. Lemon cake is also popular for me.

maemae Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:03am
post #22 of 22

hmmm, that's the second suggestion for orange cake...i've never even heard of orange cake (i feel so deprived!!!!)....Okay...somebody get me to the nearest orange cake recipe quick....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%