I Made Cake Balls For The First Time....have A Question.

Decorating By momthreekiddos Updated 28 May 2007 , 11:02pm by a19

momthreekiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momthreekiddos Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:02am
post #1 of 21

OH MY.....why did it take me SOOOOO long to make cake balls??? These are AMAZING!! I used chocolate cake with French Vanilla Creamer........AWESOME! I could eat this stuff straight out of the bowl!! I can't wait to try more flavors!

Here is where I ran into problems. I melted white almond bark to coat these. Pure almond bark was VERY thick and wouldn't coat well (dipping with fork/toothpick), so I added a tiny bit of crisco to some of the almond bark to "thin" it. This didn't help. So, I added milk to the almond bark and made it a pouring consistency. Now, it is TOO "thin". I tried the above with Wilton candy melts, too......and it was not successful, either. What I want is a pretty coating, thin enough to coat but thick enough to make a "crusting layer" of chocolate. How do I achieve this? HELP!!!

20 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 21

bump

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:00am
post #3 of 21

icon_lol.gif They are awesome aren't they? Also very addictive. I always have extra cake scraps at the ready to make more. I have used the blueberry cobbler with vanilla cake... YUMMIE!!! Try a chocolate cake with the hazelnut creamer flavor. Just to die for!!! (my new favorite)

I have tried to use white chocolate melted to coat them, it didn't work very well for me either. The only thing that has worked has been chocolate chips melted with a little bit of 1/2 & 1/2 to thin it just a touch. when you put them in the freezer to finish setting up, they won't break your teeth to take a bite.

Thats all I can help with. good luck.

Keep a stash in a corner of your freezer for your own little treat. they are a great pick me up. you'll see.
icon_lol.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #4 of 21

I think I remember someone using corn syrup to thin the chocolate.

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #5 of 21

When I did petit fours, I used a 14 oz. bag of candy melts melted with 1/2 cup whipping cream over a double broiler and dipped the frozen petit fours per suggestion from another cc'er, and they set really nicely, so I'm assuming the same can be done with cake balls. icon_smile.gif

butlah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butlah Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:36am
post #6 of 21

I tried a different option when making cake balls. I set up a bunch of mini cup cake cups and use a small scoop to make the balls and put one ball in each cup. I take a clear disposable decorating bag, smear some crisco (about a tablespoon) on the inside of the bag. Then, I dump a 12 or 14 oz. bag of chocolate or other kind of morsels in, which is a perfect fit, and use an elastic to close the bag. I microwave the bag for 40 seconds first and then drop to 20 secondsat a time, massaging the bag after each time. Once the chocolate is completely melted, I snip a little tip of the bag off and drizzle the chocolate over the top covering each cake ball. This process is much faster, easier and cleaner. It also makes the cake balls more presentable and easier to transport. Hope this helps!

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:10am
post #7 of 21

I do the same as butlah, sometimes using candy melts or Godiva chocolates. This way I can drizzle with different effects (stripes, cornelli lace, etc) or do a complete covering.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:24am
post #8 of 21

Me too! Bag with whatever kind of chips (white chocolate/ semisweet/ mint/peannut butter). I usually melt first then add to the bag, but I have done it both ways! It really depends on how many dishes I feel like washing!
icon_lol.gif

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #9 of 21

I also made them for the first time tonight (with my agbay disaster cake scraps)

white cake (made with white chocolate raspberry creamer)

then I used irish cream as my binder (wanted an 'adult' cakeball)

the texture is a little mushy - like unbaked cookie dough - is that what it is supposed to be like? I think if I used less creamer, it wouldn't have stuck together.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:53am
post #10 of 21

The one time I tried making these, I thought the 'dough' was rather mushy too. I couldn't hardly stand to eat them. I didn't put much binder in there, but they were just nasty. I haven't had the nerve to ever try them again because of it. I think I'm the only CCer here who didn't like these things.

If you're drizzling chocolate over the balls already in the cups, wouldn't the excess chocolate pool in the bottom???

wolfley29 Posted 28 May 2007 , 6:16am
post #11 of 21

When I make mine, I use a recipe I got off here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2099-Cake-Balls.html

Instead of using liquid, I use BC that I have already flavored. It is thicker that way, and I still get a great taste. I found that the balls have a more fudge quality.

In reference to the choclate pooling around the bottom, I find that I have to be extra careful to have a small opening rather than a large one in my bag, and be careful not to put too much on each one. It takes a little practice, but the look is worth it. When I tried using a toothpick or dipping tool, I had funny marks on my balls.

If I am doing artwork on them, then I will use a #0 or #1 tip instead of just using a cut bag. HTH

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 28 May 2007 , 6:19am
post #12 of 21

I made a batch of cake balls for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I made mine with raspberry and blackberry and pineapple fillings. Added just enough to make it stick together then dipped in white chocolate. They were snatched up before I could set them down. I just tried a variation, I never tried them with the creamer yet. Maybe I will next time. I also tried to dip them in milk chocolate but found like the rest it seams that it was too thick. I think I will try the plastic bag trick next time. It sounds easier. Thanks all you CC'ers for the great tips. Keep em comin'.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 May 2007 , 6:40am
post #13 of 21

[quote="VACakelady"]The one time I tried making these, I thought the 'dough' was rather mushy too. I couldn't hardly stand to eat them. I didn't put much binder in there, but they were just nasty. I haven't had the nerve to ever try them again because of it. I think I'm the only CCer here who didn't like these things. quote]

I didn't like mine either. Totally disgusting! I think I might have used an incorrect recipe. I ended up dumping the whole batch into the trash. I was too embarrassed icon_redface.gif to bring them in to work for our Christmas festivities. Someone else had made these, too, and they were just as gross. Alot was left on the platter. So I think they used the wrong recipe, too.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 28 May 2007 , 7:25am
post #14 of 21

Wolfley, that's the recipe that I used, and they were just gross. I guess I had hoped they would taste something like cake or have a similar texture, but I was totally wrong. I would still like to take some of my carrot cake and cream cheese icing and roll that into balls and dip in white chocolate.

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 28 May 2007 , 7:37am
post #15 of 21

I had the same problem. Made them and they were way too mushy and gross. I just tossed 'em in the trash. I used a recipe from the CC recipe list, but yesterday I noticed a "how to" with different instructions. I think I might try them. icon_smile.gif

wolfley29 Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:24am
post #16 of 21

I don't freeze mine, just because when they thaw out, they are really mushy. But I leave them in a pretty cold fridge for about an hour or so before doing the chocolate work. And then I keep them refridgerated until right before serving. When I measure out my crumbs, I add about another 1/4 cup. Mine are moist, but not too soft. I have added plain BC and 1/4 tsp of orange or mint extract also. Gives flavor without liquid. Not sure what else to tell ya.

momthreekiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momthreekiddos Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #17 of 21

Thanks CCer's!!! I knew that someone out there would have an idea of a better way to chocolate coat! You guys are GREAT!!!! Can't wait to try your ideas next time!

To those who didn't care for the taste of the cake balls........ I think that it's one of those things that you either LOVE or you HATE! My three children and I couldn't get enough of them, however, my husband, who eats ANYTHING, said that he would eat them, but that they weren't his favorite! They do have a very "different" texture to them. I agree with the person who suggested calling them "Cake Truffles" instead of cake balls.....that's more spot-on with the texture.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 21

I make cake balls all the time, but I do not make them like they do on this website. I actually bake an entire cake, then wait til it cools and crumble it up. Then I use buttercrem and condensed milk as binders, then I freeze and then dip in almond bark mixed with crisco and melted. They are a little mushy in the centers, but I think they have more of a ding dong consistancy. People actually fight over these things in my family. My step mother makes these for us at Christmas time, and even though I could make these for myself any day, they are a lot of work and mess, so we fight over them, and this year I took my sister's, who lives out of state, and hid them until she left to go back home!!! LOL I don't think she realizes it to this day!!

Christie

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 21

The first batch I made, we loved. DH and I ate in one day, after that it went downhill-I just can't seem to recreate them. For those of you that think they taste too gooey and uncooked, check out this recipe for cake scrap cookies. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it the next time I make cake:
http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/cookie/scrapcookies.php

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 28 May 2007 , 10:54pm
post #20 of 21

Has anyone ever tried thinning the chocolate with a flavored creamer, rather than 1/2 and 1/2? if you used the buttercream as a binder, but still want a decadent flavor, I wonder if it would work. Wouldn't that still taste yummy? (or maybe it isn't doable). Hmmmm . . .

a19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a19 Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:02pm
post #21 of 21

I crumbled an entire disastrous white cake (intended for petit fors), moistened with CoffeeMate Amaretto Flavor, chilled. Shaped into tiny balls. Dipped into melted chocolate, then froze. Delicious for after dinner treats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%