When Do I...

Decorating By mdsquared Updated 28 May 2007 , 7:12am by Tomoore

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 5

Add my coloring to fondant? Sorry, I'm a fondant virgin and am attempting to make train tracks for my son's birthday cake. I think I'm going to try to make MMF, if that makes a difference. Luckily, his bday isn't until August, but while he was away, I thought it would be a good time to practice it. Also, how much do I add? Do I slowly add it until I get the color I want or is there a set amount? TIA!!

4 replies
pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

What color are the train tracks? If your doing black I found that subing about 1/4 cup Dutch Cocoa for some of the powered sugar makes it pretty dark. If your doing gray I found that adding it to the melted marshmellows before adding the powdered sugar is easiest. You can also add it afterwards and just knead it in but I found the first way to be quickest and easier on ME!

HTH
Nikki

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 5

I was thinking gray. Thanks for the info. I will try it that way.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 5

I just got through making some, hopefully, black fondant! I already had some chocolate fondant made so I worked in some black gel food color. It takes alot of work to mix it in already made fondant! Right now I'm letting it "rest" (while I rest) to see if it will get a little darker after it sets. It's a dark brown black right now. It definitely would be easier to mix in the color while making the fondant. You may not need to start with the chocolate fondant if you don't need a dark gray!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 28 May 2007 , 7:12am
post #5 of 5

It is easier to mix it in while making the MMF. My problem with that is the MMF became crumbly when I tried to use it. I had never seen my MMF like that before. So, though it's a pain, I knead it in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%