Ruffle Borders

Decorating By Samsgranny Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm by Lisa

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to practice my ruffled borders going through my old Wilton class books and it looks like a mess. Then as you squezze just move the tip up and down? Is the narrow point down on the cake or the wide end? Also, in the book it says to pipe a shell border down first and then do the ruffle on top of that. Is that how you do it? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Samsgranny!!! How is the healing process coming along? I have been wanting to try the ruffle border too. I am anxious to hear how other do it.

Samsgranny Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

Hi Alicia!
The healing is coming along better than expected! I'm giving myself a bump in that hopes someone will help us out with this border.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 9

Can't help with the Wilton directions...sorry. I'm not familiar with them. I've made a ruffle using the rose tip though and the wide went against the cake. I think the shell underneath is to hold the ruffle up? You should try the specialty ruffle tips. You don't have to do anything but squeeze and a perfect ruffle comes out. I bought the set at Sugarcraft. They look like this...

http://www.atecousa.net/images/manual/page_15.jpg

I used the bottom one (070) on this cake...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10441/princessdora.jpg

HTH icon_smile.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 9

Lisa your cake looks great and i love that bottom border, i caught my eye as soon as i opened the link.

I just finished course 3, but missed the ruffle class, you use the shell border when you are doing the ruffle with the #127 tip.

The ruffle garland is done with the tip 104 and the fat side on the cake and just move back and forth while piping. I would think you have to hold your hand out a little so that the bottom of the ruffle does not touch the cake.

Samsgranny Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 9

Lisa to the resue, again! Very pretty Dora cake and great ruffle, that is exactly what I am looking for. Will try the Ateco, wish me luck!

Lisa Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you both icon_smile.gif and good luck Samsgranny!

veronika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronika Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 9

I love the Dora cake, it's beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%