Cake Mixes?how About Instant Frosting?

Decorating By SweetBellina Updated 12 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm by Jenn123

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 21

we have a few topic here about cake mixes, how about instant frosting? wat do u think about it?

20 replies
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 21

What do you mean by instant frosting? Like the frosting in a can? It can taste okay - but I don't think icing is that hard to make. I've also tried "fat free" icing by Betty Crocker and it was nasty - it was like marshmellow creme.... which is okay, but I might as well buy/make that instead of thinking I"m going to get a buttercream like taste AND Fat free!!! Nothing beats regular 'ole buttercream for me. I use the crusting recipe from this site that has butter & crisco. Although I did find out adding rootbeer to the frosting makes it SOOOOOOOOO YUmmy!!! It's an interesting taste and not too sweet.....

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 21

White icing- No way.
Chocolate- I mix it with some of my white buttercream. Yum

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 21

I guess my question is what are you wanting to know about the instant frosting? And are you talking about the canned stuff or the icing powder that you only add water too and mix?

Are you looking for which is better to decorate with? Or which taste better?

Just a few questions that might help me to answer yours!

Leily

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 21

I'm a frosting snob. Only homemade buttercream for me. Sorry.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 21

mmmmmmm....I love me some duncan hines chocolate fudge frosting from the can....yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also love BC cream cheese frosting....I'm an equal opportunity sweet eater. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 21

hi leila! i want to find out if it is ok to use them (in cans like BC,DH,pillsbury) for cake orders?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 12:16am
post #8 of 21

The frosting in the cans is not quite as easy to get smooth on a cake, and it usually doesn't have a stiff enough consistancy to be piped on the cake.

I would recommend starting with a basic buttercream recipe. Check out the recipe section on Cake Central. Most basic ones to start with are crisco (possibly with butter) powdered sugar vanilla and either water or milk.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. If it hasn't been answered already

HTH

Leily

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 12:21am
post #9 of 21

I wouldn't use can frosting on a cake order...IMO.

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 12:24am
post #10 of 21

Imartsy,
Root Beer in the BC frosting? How much do you add? It sounds good.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 12:30am
post #11 of 21

Yes, please, Imartsy, I would like to know more about root beer in
BC too!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:35am
post #12 of 21

Ooh sorry I just figured out there were replies to this post! Hope you guys get this info too! I just replaced the vanilla in the recipe w/ root-beer. Room temperature - and I used A & W root beer. It just made such a yummy interesting taste! I'm using it a choc. rootbeer cake which didn't have sooo much rootbeer flavor, so I added some to the buttercream. I got the idea from someone on here........ but I can't remember who! Sorry for not giving the right credit! It was on an eeyore cake though.....

Anyway - just used about 2 tablespoons in the crusting buttercream icing instead of vanilla or another flavoring. mmmmmm

(oh on a side note, I believe Lorann makes a root-beer flavoring you could use - but I had rootbeer around in the house - so I used that and it works just fine!)

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:19am
post #13 of 21

Thanks Imartsy! Will have to try that.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:07am
post #14 of 21

Wow, I am going to try that Root Beer idea.

I wouldn't do the canned icing on a cake order. It's hard enough just to get that stuff smooth, although it can be done........ but to try to pipe with it, it's so thin, I can't imagine. I use the chocolate or the cream cheese on cakes I am not going to decorate, but otherwise, nope. I do like the taste of some canned stuff, but I can't pipe with it.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:23am
post #15 of 21

Hate to admit, but think I am too a cake snob. Had cake last nite at Bunco, and I know it was boxed cake and canned frosting - I guess after this past year making my own icing, that stuff tasted awful! Blah! The cake (undoctored) was not much better. icon_razz.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 11:37am
post #16 of 21

Even before I learned how to make frosting the right way I hated the 'frosting in a can'. I would think that unless specifically requested I would not use it - then I'd try to talk them out of it.

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 21

I've used the canned chocolate frosting, heated it up in the microwave until it's runny. Add powdered sugar to it to thicken it up. Tastes pretty yummy!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 21

My SIL made a cake last weekend when we visited. Boxed yellow cake, can of chocolate frosting... I smiled and smiled and smiled (and tried to swallow it... nearly choked...downed some water...) and smiled!! icon_lol.gif

I hear you guys about feeling like a cake/icing snob. I don't mean to put down anyone else because Lord knows they are doing the best they can... not everyone makes a scratch cake and delicious home made BC... they do other things so much better than I do... it's a wash. But when it comes to cake/icing, give me the real stuff or I'll just have another can of diet soda for dessert! icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: I have never tried doctoring the canned stuff... maybe in that case it would really be good. I will have to try it before I totally say 'never' to using it!! I just know that chocolate stuff she used was like sweet paste.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 21

Hate to even post to this one..I am no expert..but..I have bought many cakes in my time and I surely wouldn't buy one that had frosting from a can on it...whats the purpose...I, who can't seem to do anything right, can bake a boxed mix and put canned icing on it. IMO I think I'd rather waste my calories on a tub of marshmallow cream icon_smile.gif I hope I didn't make ya mad. (certainly didn't mean to)

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:44pm
post #20 of 21

I think it is so much easier to decorate with BC, and it tastes better. The only time I use canned frosting is when I have to ice a large area with the star tip. I am sure as I practice more I'll be able to use a bag and a tip, but for now, I can only do it well with the aerosol icing can that comes with tips. icon_redface.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #21 of 21

I sometimes mix my white BC with canned chocolate icing. It stiffens and lightens the chocolate icing and it tastes much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%