What Is The Correct Approach?

Business By AgentCakeBaker Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 3:41pm by AgentCakeBaker

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

OK, a few people told me that it is o.k. to try and sell your cakes to a private owned restaurant. They said that as long as I have my cakes labeled with the ingredients then it is o.k. to sell them to the private owners.

There's a small but popular restaurant about a few miles from me that I'm thinking about selling cakes to. My childcare provider told me that she saw the owner in the publix one day buying cakes for his restaurant. She was totally disappointed and shocked. So I was thinking about going up to the owner (Mr. Satterwhite) to ask him if he would be interested in buying some quality cakes.

I need your opinions, how would you approach the owner of the business? Would you take samples (cake slices)?

8 replies
TastersDelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TastersDelight Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 9

Yes definately take samples, brochure and business card. I dropped samples of my muffins/pastries off at 3 local restaurants/coffee shops. I now have weekly deliveries to 2 of the establishments.

Good Luck

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 9

I would make sure about your regulations in your area selling to a public restaurant that you don't need a license to sell to the public. The owner was buying from probably licensed vendors. Just check to make sure so you don't get into some kind of trouble you don't need.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 9

I klnow that here the cakes need to licensed. Meaning they need to be produced in a kitchen that is inspected by the department of health. The reason is because it is being served for public consumption. If by chance the product was contaminated you can be liable for people getting sick. You might want to offer your services and see if they would allow you to work for them in there kitchen doing cakes.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 9

I have noever done this before but heres my opinion. I would go with cake samples, your cake pics & some letters of recomendation from our regular clients. He needs two see & taste the product. GOOD LUCK!! Keep us posted.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 9

I would give him a call and ask if you could meet with him about your cakes. I would also take your portfolio and cake samples. You could take some cake balls as these are a little different and most restaurants don't have these. Make sure you have a price in mind as I am sure that will be a question he will have.

Good Luck

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 9

I would either talk to him or call him first.

State your name, your business, what you would like to offer him, and ask him if he is interested in your product.

So your conversation might go something like this.

Hello, My name is ____. I own "insert name of business" I offer specialty cakes to my customers specifications. They are homemade and can be personallized to suit your needs. Is this something you are interested in?

If wants to know more, ask if he has some time to meet with you and he can sample your cakes and you can discuss the details of business.

If he says he already gets his cakes/desserts somewhere else, ask him if he would be willing to work with someone new (then set up time to meet like above)

If he says no, then there was no harm in asking, at least you won't be wondering if it was a missed opportunity.

I wish you the best of luck, hope it works out for you.

Leily

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

the largest obstacle in this type of arangement is most retaurants don't want o buy from someone unelss they are working from a licensed kitchen

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all your advice. I will at least give it a try based on all your opinions. He can either say yes or no right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%