How You Know You Are A Cake Decorator...

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm by chefdot

ozzynjojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozzynjojo Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 8:55pm
post #91 of 149

Okay I feel bad about this one. My boys always asks me. Are you baking that cake for us and most of the time I say no it's for an order. Then the next day I feel bad and I end up making them cupcakes. Their all gone by the end of the day.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:26pm
post #92 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate

You know you are a cake decorator (and addicted to this site) when....

... your boyfriend calls CC the devil!

Are you listening in to converstaions in my house? LOL One night I couldn't get on to CC and I asked him to "fix" my computer so it would work *really CC was just busy so I was getting website not found* I hit refresh while I was talking to him and saw it come up while I was talking, Stoped mid sentence and started to walk back to computer to check out CC..... I almost got kicked outta the house that night icon_cry.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm
post #93 of 149

You know your a cake decorator when you are grocery shopping for canned items, and you don't buy the economical, or even the correct size can for your meal, instead you pick out the can that would be the "Perfect" cake size.

Yes I did this with some Olive cans this week.... I bought 4 little ones instead of the standard size can just b/c it would be a perfect small tier! But now I have 4 new cake "pans" icon_lol.gif

ozzynjojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozzynjojo Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:37pm
post #94 of 149

Okay, I have another one.......My kitchen was being redone, I took everything out of the kitchen and left pots, pan, utensils etc. in the hallway scattered. BUT the KA Oh no I took that in my bedroom and put it on my nightstand and locked the door when I left for work.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 10:43pm
post #95 of 149

When you're niece starts requesting her birthday cake 6 months in advance because she KNOWS Auntie K will deliver. "I want the mystery machine, no a witch, no an alien, no a panfer!!!!"

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:17am
post #96 of 149

I have tears in my eyes...this stuff is too funny.

OK, here is mine,

You know your a cake decorator when....

every time you start baking a cake your 8 year old says, "so, ya gonna fill that with ganache?"

you say this sentence at least once a week to your 3 year old..."If you don't stop doing that, you will NOT get to play with icing tomorrow!!!" and - they stop dead in their tracks and obay.

your kids see a Collette Peters cake and say "So Mom, when are you going to make that cake?" And you respond with, "Honey, Mommy's not that good yet," and then they say..."MOM, that looks easy, you just start with an 8" and then you'll need a 6" and a knife, and some fondant...you can do that...."

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 6:47am
post #97 of 149

You know you're a cake decorator when . .

Your kids plan their next birthday cake right after they cut their cake.

your co-workers ask you "how many cakes are you making this week?"

You start eyeing fabrics at walmart for new cake board coverings.

When you carry your cake photo album with you everywhere, but leave the one with the kids at home.

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 7:12am
post #98 of 149

Your 2 yr old brings me the butter container and ask "icing peas".
Your children's hands, mouths, and faces are all stained various colors.
All the parents at the park feel sorry for you having superhyper kids all the time, but you know its just a sugar high from then tasting all the frostings.
Your 7 yr old can tell you differece between buttercream and store bought on the first taste.
Your kids have their own cake decorating tools and make pretend cake instead of having a tea party.
When your husband asks where mommy's at, your 7 yr old says, "she's looking at that cake site on the computer."
And last but not least, your 7yr old has gotten pretty good at making roses.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 8:41am
post #99 of 149

Your daugthers think their friends are silly to have a pretend tea party without real cake.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 9:54am
post #100 of 149

You know when your a cake decorator when all you seem to be doing is making cakes and nothing else.
Or when you go to the shop to by just one thing and you walk out buying the whole shop just in case.
Or when the word cake is mentioned in front of your 3 YO he goes and gets his apron and says make cake mummy! make cake! or walks around the house singing Happy birthday!. How cute once or twice but once his sung it a hundrded times that day you feel like strangeling him.
Or when your forever thinking or planning your next cake or thinking about who made someone elses or have i asked the mum of the party 3 YO is going to weather she has sorted out a cake yet.
Or when ever you talk to someone you on cake central when your supposed to be working. It's far to addictive!!

Everything evolves around CAKE GLORIOUS CAKE!!!
WHY OH WHY!!! DID I START THIS!! xxxx

LOL Kicky X

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:07pm
post #101 of 149

Fun thread! Here's my 2 cents...

You know you're 'an addicted' cake decorator when...

You collect wallpaper samples at Menards as inspiration for cakes, not rooms.

Your fantasy vacation now involves the Oklahoma Sugar Arts show instead of the Grand Canyon.

People start to tell you about 'some cake show' they saw on the Foodnetwork, and you instantly know which episode they saw because you have them all recorded and memorized.

Your 3 and 4 yr old kids know better than to dip their fingers in icing that is for an order... but your husband STILL doesn't! grrrr....

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #102 of 149

These are so great I'm having such a good time reading them all. Keep it up.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:16pm
post #103 of 149

I realized I was a cake Decorator when my 7 seven year old suggested I use Tip #1 for writing on cake I was making for a friend. Tip #1???? She saw and it looked like it might do the trick.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:22pm
post #104 of 149

I realized I was a cake Decorator when my 7 seven year old suggested I use Tip #1 for writing on cake I was making for a friend. Tip #1???? She saw and it looked like it might do the trick.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:25pm
post #105 of 149

I have a friend with 3 kids, and she always orders all of her cakes from me. Her kids love my cake so much that whenever they see me, the first thing out of their mouths is "Jessica cakes!!!". Too funny!! icon_smile.gif

Oh, and whenever I'm out driving around and see balloons or a graduation sign or a "baby shower here" sign in front of a house, all I can think about is "Who made their cake?!?!". icon_redface.gif

Alacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alacey Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:35pm
post #106 of 149

You know your a cake decorator when you have so many cakes in your fridge, your milk and eggs are in an ice chest!

You know you are a cake decorator when your 2 year old is playing with wilton's food coloring and can do it for hours!!

AND

You know you are a cake decorator when there is icing smudges in your fridge and stepped on mmf on the floor!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:50pm
post #107 of 149

You know youre a cake decorator when you work for a school and they send you to a work shop the instruction puts clay dough in front of you and says this clay dough is here if you get bored listening to me lecture everyone is sitting their making bowls and animals and Im sitting their making roses and flower the instructor looks at you and say You must decorate cakes.

Molly2
icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:51pm
post #108 of 149

When your 7 year old little boy never overfills the candy molds, knows how to hold parchment bags without them coming undone and says he needs more cake stuff.

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:34pm
post #109 of 149

You know your a cake decorator when....

You are standing at the crosswalk in NYC and there is a truck unloading a giant industrial size mixer (image a giant Kitchen Aid) and you start thinking "wow, if I had that in my kitchen I could make..." as they roll it into the soon to be open bistro.

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #110 of 149

This is SO funny!!! I was JUST thinking of starting a thread like this, and I had never before seen it on here!

What got me to thinking about doing a thread with this very theme was this....

You know you are a cake decorator when....even your toothpaste has a decorative flair!!

EDITED NOTE: Sorry, angelas2babies, I did not read your post until after I had added mine!! I guess this proves we are not alone in our "weirdness!" LOL!

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #111 of 149

These posts are so funny but so true. I have a few...

You know you are a cake decorator when...

Everyone MUST ask before they can use any flour, sugar, eggs or butter from the kitchen, (just in case you feel like making something later),

People who come to visit ask you what you have been doing and give you strange looks... Then you realize what is wrong and inform them that the white rings aroung your nostrels is only powdered sugar,

When the tornado sirens sound the first thing you take to the basement is your stand mixer and your laptop with all your cake pics on it.

Your boyfriend hates going to walmart with you because he always has to carry your cake supplies because you never get a cart when you go in because you only go in for yarn (which is a whole other addiction) but you can't leave the crafts section without looking at the cake supplies.

These are all true for me!!!

I'm addicted to cake decotating and crocheting, the other day I tried to figure out how to crochet fondant. Crazy ain't it!!!

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:54pm
post #112 of 149

I have one more...

You know you're a cake decorator when your bra straps are tie-dyed from the food coloring on your fingers because the pesky things won't stay up

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm
post #113 of 149

How about when the check out people make fun of you because every time you go shopping, you have more cake mix and sugar than groceries?

People don't know your name, they just call you the cakespert.

Boogers are multi colored.

Kids are one bite away from a sugar induced coma.

You make so many cakes that you stay 106 pounds because you can't stand the idea of actually eating cake.

You get invited to goofy events even from politicians only because they want to see what you come up with next.

You spy on every store in town to see what their doing.

CountryStyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryStyle Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:22pm
post #114 of 149

...when someone asks your soon-to-be 3 year old what they want for their birthday and she answers "a Wonder Pet cake!!!"

(or fill in your own theme, LOL)

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #115 of 149

I am pretty new to decorating, but I loved the ones about collecting coupons and going down the Wilton isle even if you went to the craft store for something else completely.....I am guilty of both!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #116 of 149

When you go on a job interview and all you can think about is making the company logo into an edible image...

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #117 of 149

Your 18-year-old daughter won't go to the store for you, because she's afraid all the cute boys (who MIGHT be there) would think that she's going to eat all those cake mixes, powdered sugar, marshmallows, butter and eggs by herself!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:28am
post #118 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

.... I have to chime in on this one.

....when your DH refuses to take ANYTHING from the kitchen for fear of receiving a beating with an offset spatula (or how about the fact that he knows what an offset spatula is?).

My Dh just shook his head when he realized what a offset spatula was.. he thought it was for peanut butter sandwiches! Not to mention he knows what things I am looking for (lily nail) and looks for it atwalmart before I get to it!

Here is Mine: You know you are a cake decorator when your DOG has gained weight from being the designated floor cleaner when anything hits it.. batter, BC, MMF

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #119 of 149

[quote="aliciaL_77"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Here is Mine: You know you are a cake decorator when your DOG has gained weight from being the designated floor cleaner when anything hits it.. batter, BC, MMF

LMAO!!! On our last trip to the vet the doctor told me that my dog was "losing his waistline" and she put him on a diet!

I didn't tell her that he's the cake-scrap-cleaner-upper and that even if they do end up in the garbage can he goes fishing for them and runs away with mouthfuls before I can stop him.

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #120 of 149

I've caught myself rewinding shows that have a cake on them to see how it's decorated.

I also spend longer looking at bakery cakes in the grocery store for ideas than looking for my groceries.

Whenever I have my mixer on the counter, my 1 1/2 year old goes to the oven door to look in the window and starts clapping and saying "yum, yum!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%