How Much Would You Charge For This Cake????

Business By mistiek2006 Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 4:11am by missyjo30

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:34am
post #1 of 9

I just completed this cake. My neighbor's dd was supposed to come over make and decorate it with me guiding her through, but my 2 yr old woke up cranky so I told her I would do it for her. Originally I wasn't going to charge her because the chld was going to do it. The neighbor brought me 2 cheap crappy cake mixes to use that turned out like crap. So I remade the cakes and decorated. She wanted one half to be vanilla and the other to be chocolate, so I made 2 9x13 cakes and set them side by side. She asked what I would have charged her if I was going to charge. I told her I would have to look at my price list and get back to her.

I live in a very small town with the closest place to buy any cake is 35-60 miles depending on what you want. I am strying to get started by word of mouth so I don't to be too high or cheat myself by being too cheap. Thanks.
[/img]
LL

8 replies
snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:40am
post #2 of 9

I wouldn't charge less than 35. And thats being very generous!!

BigHoneyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigHoneyBunny Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

A very pretty cake. I also live in Texas and have recently started selling cakes. Walmart and HEB are my biggest competitors. While the taste of their cakes doesn't come close to mine I find that I have to keep my prices in line with theirs if I want to have any business at all. I have sold this size cake w/ white chocolate curls being the only decoration for $28.00. The one time that I decorated it, I charged $30.00. I know that is probably less than some people charge but I'm afraid to scare away customers with higher prices. That being said, I think that $35.00 is probably a fair price. I sell my signature cakes which are 3 - 9" layers for $25.00.
Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:07am
post #4 of 9

$25-$35
More if the kid "helped" HA HA

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:17am
post #5 of 9

I would have charged $40 min. My 9x13 starts at $20. All of those stars are a pain the rear.

I live near Walmart, Sams and Costcos, but I don't try to match their price.

I give a one of a kind product that they cannot get anywhere else.

Your cake could not have been picked up at the grocery store on the way to the 4th of July event, it is special. Don't underprice or underestimate your product. You are worth it!

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:46am
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys, I really appreciate all your replies.

I also have another question. Would anyone be willing to send me a sample list of your prices and what you offer? I am trying to get a business started but really don't know where exactly to start. I know that I love decorating cakes and I love baking all sorts of stuff from cookies to cakes to pies to cobblers. I really don't know what to offer to sale or prices to sale it at. There isn't a bakery at all in this rural town of about 1800 to 1900 people. Like I said the closest competion is about 35-60 miles away. I really appreciate it. Thanks a million.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:50am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistiek2006

Thank you guys, I really appreciate all your replies.

I also have another question. Would anyone be willing to send me a sample list of your prices and what you offer? I am trying to get a business started but really don't know where exactly to start. I know that I love decorating cakes and I love baking all sorts of stuff from cookies to cakes to pies to cobblers. I really don't know what to offer to sale or prices to sale it at. There isn't a bakery at all in this rural town of about 1800 to 1900 people. Like I said the closest competion is about 35-60 miles away. I really appreciate it. Thanks a million.

ge978 posted her price list as a starting point recently. Here is the link to her post. Just take into consideration, your location. If you have any bakeries around you (not grocery store or wal-mart) price check.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-29085-price.html+list

HTH

Leily

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:59am
post #8 of 9

I have some things to say about pricing, as I am learning quickly about being a home cake baker.

I get alot of calls. Although there are places that sell bakery cakes around here, there is no place to get a beautiful and really homemade tasting cake. Many people call me just for sheet cakes. My sheet cakes are expensive, starting at 35-40 dollars for a 1/4 sheet. That is simple without much decor.

Remember, I still have to clean up the same beaters and bowls, make the same icing, heat up the same oven as I would for a bigger, more expensive cake. It is no longer worth it to me to charge Walmart or Sam's Club prices on my cakes. So I really don't turn on the oven for less than 35.00 dollars anymore.

I guess I am realizing how valuable my time is. So with that in mind, how valuable is your time and energy? Charge accordingly!!!! Don't be afraid to ask for what you want!!

I think I would rather not do the cake, than to have to do something that is not fairly compensated for my time and effort.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:11am
post #9 of 9

I would charge $50, because I charge $25 for my 1/4 sheet cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%