Use Of Flower Nail When Baking Cakes

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 26 May 2005 , 3:41am by MrsMissey

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:21am
post #1 of 9

I have read several replies about using flower nails when baking large cakes. Can you tell me how you do this, and when the cake is done, how do you remove the nail? Hope this doesn't sound to silly. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:34am
post #2 of 9

..not a silly question at all! Coat the nail the grease/flour or whatever it is that you use on your pans, put the nail in the center of the pan, point side up and then pour in your batter and bake as usual. It helps conduct heat to the center of the pan and results in the cake baking more evenly, when baking large cakes. Once you invert the cooked cake, just pull out the nail..that's it!! Hope this helps!!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:01am
post #3 of 9

This works wonders! It's easier than the baking strips and the actual heating core products!

I make sure my pan is well greased and floured, then I put the nail down, then lay parchment paper over top (nail part goes thru the parchment).!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:14am
post #4 of 9

Also, if you use a cooling rack, you can invert the cake and the nail will go through the grates. Then you can remove it.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:28am
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Your cakes are outstanding!!!!!! Could you tell me how you do your images, or where you can purchase them?

MrsMissy, how do you get your cakes so smooth. Do you use the upside- down-method?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

I'll be trying this on Thursday when I start baking my wedding cakes.. the bottom tier is 14 inches so I'll put one in the middle of that pan ...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:56am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Could you tell me how you do your images, or where you can purchase them?

We use Canon printers and edible inks to print them ourselves. Lots of info on how to DIY here if you search the forums by typing in "canon and printer"

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forums-search.html

AnaMaria11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaMaria11 Posted 26 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #8 of 9

I tried this for the first time yesterday. I wasn't paying close enough attention when I flipped the cake pan over to remove the cake and the flower nail was pushed sideways when it hit the counter. It chewed up the cake a little. It didn't really matter since the cake was just to practice on anyway, but if I use a flower nail again I'll be more careful!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 26 May 2005 , 3:41am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Your cakes are outstanding!!!!!! Could you tell me how you do your images, or where you can purchase them?

MrsMissy, how do you get your cakes so smooth. Do you use the upside- down-method?

Hi Steph, I just saw your comment..THANKS!! No I don't do the upside down method...not that brave!! LOL!! I just use a dry long angled spatula and go over the cake a few times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%