Toddler Naps (Or Lack Thereof)

Lounge By ckkerber Updated 15 Jul 2006 , 4:27am by ckkerber

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 22

Okay. I got so many helpful responses to my query about toddler lunches so I knew this was the right place to go with my next issue. My son just turned three in April and he hasn't been napping for the past couple of months. It's frustrating because I also have a 21 month old who definitely still takes a 2+ hour afternoon nap so we are housebound during naptime regardless. I find I really still need that break but I don't want to park my little guy in front of the TV all of the time to get it.

My well-intentioned sister-in-law was astonished that my son doesn't nap. She thinks that if a three-year-old isn't taking naps then it's the fault of the parent who is letting him get away with it. I tried explaining that for the previous four months when he was still napping, he would be awake (in his bed) from 8:30-10:00 p.m. as he wasn't tired to go to bed at bedtime. And even now, if I force a nap on him (which I've been known to do) I can guarantee it will take 1 1/2 -2 hours for him to fall asleep that night. Since we had four months of this pattern of not falling asleep at night when he naps, I was under the impression that he really must not need those naps and he does get through the days just fine without them.

So, my questions to you . . . is it unheard of for a three-year-old not to need naps? And, how do I reclaim my "down time" when I've got a toddler who wants me to play with him when his brother is sleeping? I long for the days where I had that two hour break in the middle of the day to do my own things or to catch up on housework, etc . . . and I did expect my little guy to nap at least until he was closer to four years old.

HELP!!!

21 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 22

My nephew stopped taking naps at the age of 2. His doctor told us not all kids need naps. We could have tried to make him take a nap, but then it was more hassle than it was worth, and he would end up getting himself in trouble. Now when he was in daycare he did have to lay down wih the rest of the class as they took their nap.

Why not make it some down time for him or find a quiet activity for him. It is good for kids to learn to occupy themselves at times.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 22

I really feel for you!! I have a 16 year old, a 6 year old and a 3 year old. My three year old is still taking naps and I do need that down time!! My 6 year old stopped around 3 or 4 but now during the summer I will have him go back to the room and "play" quietly for awhile. Sometimes he watches tv sometimes he has some little toys. It is normal for them to stop. I have two good friends that their kids stopped taking naps early. One wasn't even 2 yet!!!! The other was about 2 1/2. If you son isn't going to sleep at night then that is a sure sign. That is what happened to my son. So do what feels right. Maybe he could have some books with him or something. There is nothing wrong with "rest" time. They do that here in school too. Good luck!! hang in tehre icon_lol.gif

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 22

My son (first) took two naps a day until he was 3 and a half. My oldest daughter (second child) stopped needing naps at 20 months. If I was lucky enough to get her down for a nap she would be up until 11 pm because she couldn't sleep. Now our youngest has puzzled the doctors since birth, she is almost 18 months and has rarely taken naps and she also usually can't seem to drift off until 10 pm (if she gets a nap it is more like 11:30 pm icon_cry.gif ). The doctor has said that her case is more severe but that for some reason or another she physiologically requires very little sleep. I'd be afraid to have another child the next one might not sleep at all - lol.

What we did for our oldest daughter was to have quiet time like some of the other posts said. Since she didn't require a nap she would color or look at books for a while. Granted it doesn't buy you the time that a 2 hour nap does for other parents get but it should help a little. If your sister in law has good intentions she'll understand that you are being a good parent by being in tune with your son'd needs. She needs to remember that what may be appropriate for one child isn't necessarily what is right for the next.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 22

my 3 year old doesnt take a nap in fact i wont let him. Once he got to about 2 if he took a nap he would be up until well after 11 at night. NOw no naps for him. if we go out somewhere and he falls asleep inthe car then i am screwed because he will be up all night. his dr said if he is tired he will sleep not to force him to nap.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:26am
post #6 of 22

Oh, my gosh! I just realized my little guy didn't take a nap today! I took one....

He went up right after lunch, but didn't stick.

I have been diligent in getting the nap in daily, but he is fighting it! Going to be 4 in August, so I guess I've had a good run....

icon_cry.gif

It was so great while it lasted. I guess I was in denial. I even signed him up for morning preschool in the fall thinking he would nap in the afternoons. Wishful thinking.... Maybe I will send him in the afternoon and take that photo class I wanted to take.

It's bad when the mom needs it more than the kid!

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 6:56am
post #7 of 22

He may take naps when in preschool. Mine who was giving up her nap ended up being sooooo tired after 3 hours of preschool in the morning that I had to feed her lunch in the car on the way home or she would be a complete basket case when we got home (10 minute drive).

She always took her nap after school. Her 2nd year of preschool she gave up the nap halfway through but she still takes a nap sometimes. She fell asleep on the floor today after swimming in the pool all afternoon.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 22

My son is 3 and he doesn't always take a nap. When he skips it though he usually ends up passing out right around dinner time. Sometimes when I tell him it is nap time he will go right up to bed and lie down but on days when he is more resistant I will put a favorite movie on for him and tell him that he can only watch it if he is lying down. This is pretty much the only time he gets to watch TV so he is usually happy to go. He may or may not fall asleep but at least I have some time to myself.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 22

My twins stopped taking naps last summer when they were 2 1/2. In the last month or so, during "naptime", they would move their cribs until they touched and one twin would jump into the other's bed!!! I decided it was time to let go of the naps......that I sooo needed!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 22

I don't even remember when my 3 year old stopped taking naps everyday. Once in a while he will fall asleep in the late afternoon and then I'm sunk for bedtime. It's hard to get him in bed before 9pm and sometimes he refuses to go until it's dark and this time of year it's not completely dark until almost 11. And he's up before 8 every morning ready to spend the whole day outside.
With my older child I was surprised (and jealous) to find out that other parents were getting their 4 year olds to nap. Now that he's seven he's up before eight everyday and up until 10-11 every night since schools out.
I know that I'm far luckier than my mom was with me, I didn't like naps even when I was a baby and was up at 5am every day.
Quiet time works for some, it worked with my oldest. If you get really desperate remember that a little tv won't hurt once in a while.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 22

Both of my boys stopped taking naps around age 2. I actually wouldn't let them have one or they would be up half of the night. My older son was about 3 and took a nap one day, and we ended up giving him a glass of water and a flashlight around midnight, and when I got up to check on him around 2:30 am, he was still awake!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:59am
post #12 of 22

My oldest girl stopped taking naps on her 2nd birthday (which I was devastated!). Now my youngest just turned 2 in May and I'm pushing it as long as possible. Unfortunately, she too, is slowly stopping the naps.

Although they don't take naps, I still have them have their "quite time." They can play up in their rooms and play quitely. I try to do this at different times for each kid because if they do it together then they will be back and forth between each of the rooms. I learned from my own mistakes. (So it is kind of like 2 quite times).

Good luck with your kids!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:09am
post #13 of 22

I have two boys, age 4 & 5...............they stopped napping a LONG time ago. People thought it was weird, too, etc., but there's no way you can force your child to sleep.

I didn't read all of the responses, but as long as your child isn't getting over-exhausted or anything, he should be fine.

One thing that really helps me is "quiet time". Sometimes its quietly reading a book or quietly drawing/"writing" in their very own notebook or lying in bed for a "break", etc..

IMHO, just watch out for any over-exhaustion.

Good Luck and I hope you get everything figured out!

bjwelchjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjwelchjr Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 22

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who still naps (thank goodness),but only for about 45 minutes. Still that time is sooo needed! Some days she just won't sleep during nap time, but I still have her stay in her room for the time period. Alot of the time I just hear her playing or looking at books, but it gives me the "mommy" time I need to have the imagination it takes to deal with her the rest of the day!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 22

Kids are all so different. My son stopped taking naps at 2 and I fought it tooth and nail, but one day realized the stress it was causing the both of us, so finally let it go. He's 5 now and we both survived! I know it's hard to lose that rest time you enjoyed when they were sleeping. It's very draining on a mom to not get a little break during the day. I had many melt downs while going through that transition. I think if you could find a way to get out of the house alone a couple extra times a week it will help you. I finally have a schedule of sorts that gets me away from toddlerville a couple times a week. I'm a new woman when I come home.

I really don't think you can make a kid take a nap though. Anyone who tells you that is just speaking out of ignorance (I mean this respectfully of course icon_wink.gif ). Kids are unique from one another and what works for one parent won't necessarily work for another. Just hang in there and know it's not you! For months I forced the issue with Josh and it just made me more tired. I'd even lay with him in bed and sing to him, read him stories, just hold him in complete silence... he'd lay there and kick a leg to keep himself awake. Sometimes we'd lie there for 2 hours. Just wasn't going to happen.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 5:48am
post #16 of 22

Oh I feel for you. We're in the same boat. 23 month old girl takes them and needs them 3 1/2 yr old little boy has been in the same pattern as yours for months now. He would go thru patterns where he would nap one week on, 2 off. (Every day I would put him down for one, but during the "off " time he'd just keep getting up for hours). So we took the advice of mothernlaw, bought dark navy curtains and closed them during naptime - this darkened his room considerably and did help for a few months he actually napped!! Then he quit. For the last 3+ months he's been getting out of bed about every 5 min. during "naptime". On a rare day (maybe once every 2 months) he'll actually fall asleep but that takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours alone, then like you said, when he actually does nap, he won't fall asleep that night until 10 or 11pm! I've been fighting it for so long, because I DESPERATELY need "me" time and "quiet" time, which is equivalent with "keeping mommy sane" time, but I finally gave it up and officially resigned his naps. Some days I just let him stay up (ssshhhing him the whole time b/c he's a talker and I have a baby and a 23 mo. old napping), other days I stick him in bed and tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he does have to rest until I come get him (usually after 1 to 2 hours) this provides some time to self, but is more frustrating than option 1 because he gets up constantly with the "rest" method. I am putting him to bed at 7pm to make up for that lost sleep (My ga, when he used to nap he'd sleep for 3 hours, so there is sleep missing here!!), but he's still super cranky and crying throughout the day. I don't know what to tell ya but I know where you are andhow ya feel, hang in there !!

ckkerber Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 4:33am
post #17 of 22

I'm so glad I asked this question here . . . I was beginning to think that I was failing as a mommy because I couldn't make my little guy nap! It is so true that you can't force a child to sleep. It's so nice to have some reinforcement.

I do try quiet time but like a lot of you said, it doesn't always work. Sometimes, my son will be up at his doorway every few minutes to see if quiet time is over, other times he plays so loudly that I'm afraid he'll wake his brother up. Sometimes we use this time to do especially messy activities that I don't want to get into when my 22 month old is awake and that works well but it doesn't get me that sacred "mommy" time in the middle of the day.

At least I know that I'm not alone. Thanks for all of the input!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:23pm
post #18 of 22

Since I'm not getting my "Me"time (or not much, anymore) I've had to resort to running errands to keep me sane. Mainly just mindless little mini-trips to get me out of the house and get rid of the cabin fever/stir craziness! I try to wait till hubby gets home, usually then mumble something about something we need and run out the door! Sometimes he'll have me take one of them with me (if it's evening time), but if it's still nap time he'll usually just let me go alone b/c he knows how important it is. And sometimes I'll take the baby, which isn't bad b/c at this age (3 months) he's not much trouble on outings. I do ofcourse prefer to go alone, but I've even taken all three of them if hubby was working late and I was desperate!

ckkerber Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 2:20pm
post #19 of 22

Wow . . . running errands is how I get through half of my days!!! We do the park and story times and have playdates but on those days with nothing planned, it's off to the grocery store or to Sam's or wherever! If you're running your errands later when your hubby gets home, how are you passing the time during the day?

I guess with three kids those ages, running errands would probably be more stress than anything else. I can relate a little . . . two days a week I watch my nephew while my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are at work so on those days, I have my three-year old and 22 month old boys, and then my 15 month old nephew. We do run some errands on those days but only the really necessary ones!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:19am
post #20 of 22

my daughter stopped taking naps at two as well. She just doesn't need as much sleep.... as me...LOL

i have heard of people saying they still have quiet time in the day. I haven't really done a specific time as she usually plays in her room throughtout the day by herself anyways.

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 22

My daughter turned 3 last week, and she still takes afternoon naps. She's in preschool 3 mornings a week and as soon as we get home she herself tells me she wants to take a nap. Her daily naps were always 3 hours, or longer if I don't wake her up, but for the last few weeks she's been waking up after an hour or two, and that's ok. I know as she gets older she'll sleep less and completely give up naps. Children are different.
Emi

ckkerber Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:27am
post #22 of 22

count your blessings!!! Oh, what I wouldn't give for hour long naps right now. At least my guys don't get up too early . . . they usually sleep until about 8 a.m. so I guess I am lucky in that respect. See, isn't that a good step? Instead of focusing on the negative (no nap) I'm focusing on the positive (not up at dawn). There's hope for me yet. Maybe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%