School's Out For Summer

Decorating By CIndymm4 Updated 3 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm by debsuewoo

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:01am
post #1 of 25

I need a idea for a simple cake for a "School's Out for Summer" party. The kids involved are 12 year olds.......maybe if I didn't have a sassy little 12 year old I could think of something creative icon_confused.gif ,but I'm drawing a blank...anyone got any ideas? I need to make the cake Friday.

24 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:04am
post #2 of 25

how about making the cake in the shape of a pool, and making liitle fondant people looking like they are swimming.

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:09am
post #3 of 25

Oh, I forgot to mention, can't have fondant.....my daughter hates it and she insists since she is taking the cake, she doesn't want any fondant on it....I told her she could pick it off but.......did I mention she's a sassy 12 year old! icon_lol.gif

susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:13am
post #4 of 25

ok no problem let me think for a minute

susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:14am
post #5 of 25

what about a flip flop cake.

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:23am
post #6 of 25

That's a great idea but it's the idea has been shot down....they want something "awesome" but can't really tell me what, of course they don't have a problem telling me what they don't want!

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:30am
post #7 of 25

what about a mobile phone cake or something along those "cool" lines. I look in my 12 yr olds bedroom for ideas of what they're into. Dont look too close or you'll get yelled at, i did.

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:35am
post #8 of 25

Don't I know it nernan!! I'm doing a Simple Plan cake her birthday next month...her wall is covered in their posters!

susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:53am
post #9 of 25

is this a cake for guys and girls or just girls??

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:55am
post #10 of 25

boys and girls and parents of course, lurking in the shadows icon_lol.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:55am
post #11 of 25

How about something with kid's cheering or maybe a sheet cake that just shows arms and hands clapping and waving.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART427/AA041003.jpg

susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 1:59am
post #12 of 25

maybe you could do a cake in the shape of a radio like a "boom box" if it was for girls i was going to suggest a cake in the shape of a bottle of anil polish r a tube of lip stick. Im going to go watch SVU and wehn i come back i will have some great ideas for you

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:07am
post #13 of 25

Okay, they have decided they like the tropical theme.....thank you Lisa for your idea as well, I thought it was great, she didn't but I was showing my DD your cakes and she loves the tropical cupcakes you did and wants me to do something like that on top of the cake....what did you use for the rocks and are those just little plastic trees??

Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:11am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIndymm4

Okay, they have decided they like the tropical theme.....thank you Lisa for your idea as well, I thought it was great, she didn't but I was showing my DD your cakes and she loves the tropical cupcakes you did and wants me to do something like that on top of the cake....what did you use for the rocks and are those just little plastic trees??

Thanks! The rocks are candy like M&Ms and the trees were plastic. I bought them from www.sugarcraft.com

Here's a cake from their site...
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/hawaiinKIT2.htm

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:15am
post #15 of 25

Oh darn, I couldn't order and get them by Friday....hmm, I'll have to think of something else for the rocks.....I may do fondant ones anyway, even though they don't want that, they can pick it off!

Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:18am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIndymm4

Oh darn, I couldn't order and get them by Friday....hmm, I'll have to think of something else for the rocks.....I may do fondant ones anyway, even though they don't want that, they can pick it off!

I don't know...I placed an order Friday and got everything in yesterday (Monday). They ship fast! Couldn't hurt to try. You'll find other uses for them if they don't make it in time. The kids really got a kick out of them. They look so real.

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:35am
post #17 of 25

My daughter thinks the candy store in the mall has either rocks or pebbles....she can't remember but she said they are chocolate so I'm going to brave the mall tomorrow and see what I find. I'm so relieved that they (she's been on the phone to several of the friends) finally decided on something for this cake!

Thanks to all of you for your help!

susanmm23 Posted 25 May 2005 , 3:07am
post #18 of 25

ok i know you said you guys picked a theme but i thought of something....... you could do a sheet cake and makie it look like a magazine cover. with headlines like summer issue no more school top ten summer hang outs i dont know it was just a thought.

nernan Posted 25 May 2005 , 11:55am
post #19 of 25

glad you came to a compromise, i have to do a 12 yr old girls cake and the theme is black, no other hints on anything else, just black. Wish me luck.

CIndymm4 Posted 25 May 2005 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 25

nernan, the theme is black??? My daughter's cake next month will be black with the simple plan written in white with the light blue sad face in the middle which is one of thier signature t-shirt looks....kids are so crazy at this age! icon_lol.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 May 2005 , 10:37pm
post #21 of 25

Maybe check out thedollar store and see if they have chocolate rocks. One of the dollar store's by me had them, I think I should have bought some when I was there.

CIndymm4 Posted 26 May 2005 , 12:52am
post #22 of 25

Thanks Mouse, I'll try the Dollar Store first, if I find them, I know it will be a lot less expensive than the specialty candy store! I hadn't even thought to check there.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 26 May 2005 , 1:26am
post #23 of 25

You could mold tootsie rolls too ...just soften a little in the micro, then shape them. Oreos chopped look pretty good also. Or maybe that bag of gold gum they sell? Chopped gummie stuff?

nernan Posted 27 May 2005 , 2:49am
post #24 of 25

If we lived in the same country our daughters should meet, so much alike, the new development is purple teddy bears as well as something "cool". Boys are so much easier.
Good Luck and let us see when its done

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #25 of 25

Shoot, if it were me and my 'sassy' 12 year old wanna be (she's just about to turn icon_cool.gif gave me flack, I think she'd be getting a "Can't wait for fall" cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%