Cake/icing For The Lactose Intolerant?

Baking By SugarHighCakes Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 4:24am by SugarHighCakes

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 9:34pm
post #31 of 36

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26086-.html

The above link has LOTS of egg substitutes! check it out!

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 2:20am
post #32 of 36

SOrry I was gone for awhile...I was playing paintball all day icon_razz.gif .

Just so its clear....Im making the cake for a doctor who is my boss.

Anyways....im learning so much!!

Thank you for everyones help! THeres so many things to consider...I didnt realize there wansnt a black and white answer.

I really need to ask....because now that you guys are bringing this whole allergy vs. intolerance deal...im not really sure what he is. Everyone at my office just says hes lactose intolerant...I guess because of a lack of knowledge. I dont think anybody ever gave it enough thought to ask him. BUT I do know we have to specify no butter...or milk when food is cooked for him. SO, it sounds like this slight difference makes a big difference...

Who knew?

BUt again..thank you all for your imput.....
Im still very intrigued because now I would like to try all the recipes and see if you can really tell the difference....hmmmm!! ANd Im curious....I cant wait until work on wednesday so i can ask!!! lol (first time im anxious for work in a while lol )

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:21am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedeco

My child is on a milk free diet and I use Fleischmann's unsalted butter.

Fleischmann's is lactose free. My child is on a gluten free diet and a casein free diet which means No wheat products and no milk products at all. You have to watch your additives also. Some additives are derived from milk or wheat.

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #34 of 36

Anything starting with lact- in the ingredients has milk products in it.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:01am
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

That's ok FerretDeprived, maybe what I wrote wasn't that clear. icon_smile.gif I do want to try the recipe because now I'm curious after spending all this time on it..lol It sounds like you may also have a milk allergy(or a family member does) because you know an awful lot about this topic. What about Bisquick? can u use that? Never tried it for a whole cake, but works great for pancakes.

Lol I don't have a milk allergy but i am a strict vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs or milk. As for bisquick.. i'd say..it looks alright. I don't see any milk ingredients in it. There are some cake mixes that don't contain milk products to. I can get you a whole list of milk-free cake items that aren't anything special(but are plain out yummy!). My suggestion is if you ever have to bake for someone with milk allergy/intolerence just look at the ingredients. They like to hide milk ingedients with the chemical name(like casien, its what they use to make vegan cheese sometimes and glue).

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #36 of 36

Ok....here we go everyone. Today I was able to ask Dr. Snyder if he was lactose intolerant or allergic....and.....*drum roll*.......

hes allergic!!

SO.... 1000 stars to you smart people who figured that out a longggg time ago!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif Great Job because I didnt have a clue!!

SOO...now that we have that piece of the puzzle..i guess we know a better direction to head rather than ..."well maybe hes this or maybe hes that"

Thanks again everyone!!!
Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%