Books

Decorating By dyenana Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 11:18am by LittleLinda

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 15

OK I think this is my last question for awhile. I have a request for a wedding cake actually 2 wedding cakes. The first cake is due for Sept and they want Calla Lillies. Well here is my pickle....the course III for Wilton isn't offered till Sept here, so what do I do? Do I try and teach myself out of a book? Do hunt premade flowers down on the net - but that will add up to the price of the cake. I am in Canada too & a smaller town so I only have Michael's & Nutter's to buy supplies from & our book store SUCKS!!! So what do you think I should do? Is there a really good book out there I can attempt to learn from? Lots of pic's as I can be learning impared sometimes hehehe.
TIA again

14 replies
oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 15

If it was me (and I've been in this boat), I would buy the callas if you're too nervous about learning to do them in time. My second wedding cake wanted orchids and I was already stressed enough about doing the cake in the first place so I just bought the flowers and then painted them the colors she wanted. I buy most of my stuff from "Sweet Celebrations". They're pretty affordable (I think), their service is good and fast and they have a pretty decent selection of everything. They sell a Calla Lily Gumpaste spray (6"x4") for $12.29 and they sell the individual callas in different sizes (Large - $16.99 for 6, Medium - $16.19 for 10, Small - $12.59 for 14, Petite - $9.49 for 20). There are also a bunch of different websites that sell flowers, you could do a search and see what it would end up costing and decide if it's worth the trouble to learn or just eat the cost.

Good luck.
usaribbon.gif Samantha

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 15

Here's a link for real bargain prices on nice premade flowers. They make several sizes and are well worth having on hand because they're very inexpensive.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article24-Step-By-Step-Gumpaste-CallaLilies.html

Good Luck!!!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 15

I haven't done gumpaste or fondant flowers on a cake yet (I'm still teaching myself) but I know how I'd price them if I did. The amout of money I would charge (and I'd charge by the flower just like I do with my BC roses) I could definitely afford to buy them if I couldn't make them. I'd say - price accordingly, try to teach yourself (and I don't think callas look all that hard from what I've seen) and if you're not satisfied with your results, buy them.

And always keep thinking in the back of your mind that education is never a waste!! icon_smile.gif

If you're looking for instructions, the following is Wilton's way of making them, which might help you:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/callalilly.cfm

This should get you started.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 15

I think Wilton's site has calla lillies on there. It shows you how to make them out of gumpaste. Also, if you just search "how tos" you might find a website to show you how. I'v also heard that if you use a heart cookie cutter for the flower part it's easy. Never have tried it .. Good luck.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 15

If you want to learn to do it yourself in order to keep the cost down, you'd probably do better to get a video or dvd rather than a book. Most people learn quicker with video....Nick Lodge or Scott Clark Wooley probably have a good one and I hear that the calla lillies are one of the easiest flowers to make!

dyenana Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 15

You guys are so helpful. I think I would be lost if I didn't find this site. I have learnt so much in such a short time with so much more to learn.
Thank you from the bottom of my lil' heart

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 15

I taught myself how to make a calla lilly using the instructions that come with the cutter and mold. Of course, It would be helpful to have some gumpaste knowledge, but I made my first wedding cake before I had taken a gumpaste course. There are not too many simpler flowers out there. Sometimes you need to find out what doesn't work before you find what does work, so allow yourself plenty of time.

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15

Wow, cakes47...that link, www.discountsugarflowers.com, is great! Thanks!!!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 15

That site really is great. They even sell the dusting powders and the price is the cheapest I've ever found. Thanks so much!

dyenana Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 15

Just went to discount flowers to check out shipping and they do not have an option to ship to Canada icon_sad.gif
I did email them so heres to hoping that they do and all I have to do is phone in my order. Keep your fingers & toes crossed.

dyenana Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 15

Well Discountflowers.com does not ship to canada. BooHoo. Just an FYI

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 15

I bought calla lilies from www.discountsugarflowers.com and once I had them I had my model to make to make more. Just buy a minimum amount They are very simple to make.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:30am
post #14 of 15

I kow that this is a cheat, cheat but have you concidered silks. I have the same problem no cake decorating store near me except for Michael's and I Party carries a few things. Anyway, last week I was making a cake for my grammy's birthday and she loves very yellow roses. So I brought one of the bridal bouqets that Michael's had on clearance for $5.00 and bought the spray food coloring in yellow and away I went. I started spaying very lightly until I got to the color I was looking for. I think that it came out great and everyone loved it. As for 73 years young birthday girl she couldn't have gotten a more beautiful cake, at least that is what she said.

Look in my photos, I think that it looks good. It is the only yellow cake there. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Good Luck,
Vic

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 11:18am
post #15 of 15

Have you thought of asking the store where the Wilton Course III is being offered who the instructor is? She is probably local; and most likely willing to show you one on one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%