Charge For Delivery?? 200 Miles!!!????

Business By sugartopped Updated 2 Jul 2006 , 4:22am by BlakesCakes

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:08am
post #1 of 11

not sure how to approach this one!! I have a bride that wants me to do her cake, she's already sampled and we've talked about and planned the cake. But her wedding location recently got moved from P'cola toTallahasse!!! 200 miles away!! and she still wants me to do the cake! she said to just figure up the delivery and let her know.

i've just recently started charging $0.33 per mile (after the 1st 10) for my local deliveries. At that rate it would be $66 each way (total of $132)!!! She still isn't sure about the # of servings needed but it will be only be somewhere around 40-60. And will only be 2 tiers. So delivery is going to end up costing almost as much as the cake!!!!

I'm not worreid about the cake during transport.....it is going to be a small cake covedred in fondant, only 2 tiers and a few gumpast flowers for decos. So the cakes will just be covered in fondant for travel and will be completely assembled onsite. But it seems like such a long distance for a cake.

She said she understood about driving all that way to just deliver a cake, setup, and leave so she has invited me, my husband, and son to stay for their reception dinner. I haven't given her the delivery price yet b/c I'm not sure the .33 cents per mile is 'fair'?? and it is such a long way....3 hr drive!!!

She said there is no way for anyone to meet me half way(then I'd assemble at home). And everyone in/going to the wedding will be going over on Thurs (wedding is Sat)...so noone can pick it up and take it!!

not sure what to do!! I really don't mind doing the cake and delivering it....but how should I charge for delivery on this one!! Noone in my area will deliver that far away...so can't compare to them! also has anyone else delivered a cake such a long distance....how do you think the cake will hold up during the transport??

any suggestions??

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:16am
post #2 of 11

FYI: the standard rate set by IRS for business mileage is 44.5 cents/mile -- so 33 cents is more than fair (and low)

question is: can you afford the time??? especially if you stay for the dinner?

sugartopped Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:23am
post #3 of 11

yeah the time isn't a problem. the wedding is in august and i've already cleared my schedule for that week......nothing but the wedding...and sunday is rest. i know it's a small cake....but she has been very particular (not picky) but she's knows exactly what she wants. so i def. need to make sure i don't screw it up!!

and we prob. wouldn't stay for the dinner even though we were invited! esp. since we won't know anyone (me the bride) there! would just feel werid!

guess i should just give her the quote and see what happens. if she ended up thinking it was too much, i'd hope she'd still have time (little over a month) to find someone else who could do it for her.

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:23am
post #4 of 11

Pinkbunny,

Since she's invited you and your family to stay for the dinner reception. I would charge her gas money and one night stay at a reasonable hotel, if its to late to travel back home. I would also think of this as a mini,mini family vacation. and have fun. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deedee44

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:25am
post #5 of 11

i think that you should just talk to her tell the price what you charge per mile (or total cost) & see what she says, i think that if she already knows you're gonna charge her then maybe she won't be shocked--give her a chance to tell you no before you stress to much & if she says yes, well you had better pack toys (if your child is little) also, i think it's nice that she invited you to the reception but don't let that change your mine just b/c she is nice, that is a very long trip for your family not to being something special together. (like vacation or visiting family) oh i just reread some of your post. i don't know if i could do it for even that little, are you going to have to spend the night somewhere or try to drive back? gas here is almost $3.00 a gal...

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:29am
post #6 of 11

Technically...can you charge for mileage both ways? She would be paying for delivery and the trip home. I'm with Doug. For me this would be more about is it worth my time/for the money?

IMHO: A 3 hour car ride, twice in one day, with a kid? I don't think (even with dinner) I would agree to deliver so far away on this one.

sugartopped Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:30am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

i think that you should just talk to her tell the price what you charge per mile (or total cost) & see what she says, i think that if she already knows you're gonna charge her then maybe she won't be shocked--give her a chance to tell you no before you stress to much & if she says yes, well you had better pack toys (if your child is little) also, i think it's nice that she invited you to the reception but don't let that change your mine just b/c she is nice, that is a very long trip for your family not to being something special together. (like vacation or visiting family) oh i just reread some of your post. i don't know if i could do it for even that little, are you going to have to spend the night somewhere or try to drive back? gas here is almost $3.00 a gal...

It would cost me ~2 tanks of gas......~$70!! ok, so maybe $132 is kinda LOW....and if I wasn't staying for dinner I'd probably drag one of my friends alongs....not my poor hubby and 2yr old son!!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:34am
post #8 of 11

2 yrs old--wow

okay so i think that you need to forget she even invited you to dinner, b/c after that car ride mc donalds is where i would be heading, no chuckie cheese & let him play, just makeit worth your while to have your family on the road all day long & talk to her, she may not care how much it cost if she really wants your cake

o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:43am
post #9 of 11

do u think she has a VERY trusted friend, who would be going to the wedding also? cuz then if she wanted, u could give her COMPLETE instructions of how to travel with it, set it up, and i would make sure the bride would know, that when its outa ur hands, its not ur fault.. blame the friend who took it...

thats what i would say, orrrrr just tell her strait up how much the gas would cost u.. too bad if its the same price as the cake..

and if she REALLLLY wants the cake from u, she wont mind it!!

just my opinion
GL

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:05am
post #10 of 11

If it were me, I just wouldn't do this...the trip will take one entire day! And that's an exhausting day, too (driving is tiring!). I would plan on 4 hours each way, plus 1-ish hour to setup the cake. That's 9 hours of your time....and what you have left after gas money is $62. That's under $7/hr... just think of it that way and decide how valuable your time is!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #11 of 11

Well, being cynical, I doubt that everyone going to that wedding will be arriving and staying in Tallahassee from Thurs. to Sat./Sun--there has to be someone who won't be able to leave until Fri. night/Sat. morning---and that someone would have to deliver this cake!

Otherwise, I'd make sure that it didn't need refrigeration and I'd tell the bride she'd have to pick it up (fully assembled & decorated) Thursday night and take it with her. If the ingredients aren't perishable, the cake would be fine from Thurs. to Sat.

I just can't see such a huge time investment for such a small cake being worth it to you--or your family--unless she's paying you for your time traveling, too. If she's that committed to having your cake, then she'd have to be prepared to pay the extra $s for the time and resources it will require to travel 200 miles more than originally planned. Just charging for gas and the wear and tear on your car isn't fair to YOU!

Just my .02--hope it all works out fairly for everyone involved!
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%