Dowels

Decorating By Amish Updated 2 Jul 2006 , 12:57pm by regymusic

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

I'm sure it has been discussed before but are you supposed to remove dowel rods before cutting the cake? Also when using plastic ones does it take some of the cake out if you pull them out of the cake because I know that they are hollow? Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 5

simply put: yes and yes

tho' fun with the hollow ones is to either: suck the cake out or

like a true overgrown 4 year old...blow it out! (aiming at sister of course! icon_rolleyes.gif ) (gee..can ya tell a guy wrote this?!!)

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 5

..for stability, it helps the fill the plastic dowels with icing after the hollow ones are inserted back into the cake!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 5

In the Toba Garrett book, she uses lollipop sticks to dowell. Has anyone here used them and how well do they work? She likes them because they are easier to cut.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

In the Toba Garrett book, she uses lollipop sticks to dowell. Has anyone here used them and how well do they work? She likes them because they are easier to cut.

I have tried dowel, skewers, straws, lollipop sticks, you name I have tried it. Right now, for structures up to 3 tiers high, I am sold on a combination of straws and skewers. I place the straw in, cut it to height (I would then cut as many straws as needed to the same height). Next I insert the skewer into the straw(which is in the cake) until it pierces the foamcore baseboard below. My structures are extremely stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%