Cupcake Cake???

Decorating By Falenn Updated 20 Jul 2006 , 12:17am by Lisa

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 18

anyone made one before? they look so cute.....i've seen them at grocery stores and some on this page....

http://www.freewebs.com/kiddiekakes/cupcakecakes.htm

what kind of frosting is used to make it soo smooth like that. i would think there would be gaps between the cupcakes. any ideas?

ty

17 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 18

You place the cupcakes as close as you can get them. I'll attach a picture of one wiht out icing on it.

And I have always used my regular buttercream I use for icing the cake. By putting the cupcakes close together you don't have alot of big gaps in it.
LL

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 18

thnx a bunch!! it actually makes sense when seeing a visual. i kept thinking there would be big gaps, but it doesn't look like it at all w/your visual. just one more question....do the cupcakes move at all? should i ut some bc underneath each one so it will help it from not moving?

thnx again! cant wait to try this.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:34am
post #4 of 18

I wouldn't think the bc would be strong enough to hold the cupcakes together by itself. I've seen ribbons tying cookies onto cakes and suggest you try that. Also maybe put some icing on the bottom of the cupcake paper will prevent sliding.

CakeCraze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraze Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:47am
post #5 of 18

I just did one today for the first time. I used royal icing on the bottom of my cupcakes and stuck them to the board. They are not moving.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:06am
post #6 of 18

I use a dab of buttercream under each cupcake to glue them down. Not alot, just a little bit. So far I have never had any of them shift in transport and I have made quite a few of these.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:28am
post #7 of 18

I have made several with no problem. I use my regular buttercream after putting the cupcakes in the shape that I want. I don't put anything under the cupcakes to anchor them but I guess you could if you wished. I uploaded three cakes that I have done so you can see them.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:13am
post #8 of 18

Cupcake55, your Sponge Bob cupcake cake is so cute! It looks great! I have a question: did you make this cake for a customer that had to transport it? If so, did it stay in tact?

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:17am
post #9 of 18

It was for a neighbor who lives about half a block away. She did transport it in her car but not far.

CookieDoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieDoe Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 18

Did you just spread the frosting on with a spatula/spreader or use a piping bag?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 18

I use my icer tip but you can just spread it on too. Dawn's tutorial is here...

http://community.webshots.com/album/105830324epGFhn

Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Those are Laurel's fantastic CCCs. You might also try PMing her for more info.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-78.html

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 18

Kiddiekakes your site is terrific. How did you do the full body elmo cake base. i realise it is not frosted smoothly as the instructions says with the pan. yours looked like it is piped. it looks great. PM me if you can. thanks diamonds mom

ediecooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ediecooks Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 18

I just this minute posted a question about this on the 'cake decorating' forum!

is there a trick to getting the cupcakes to be flat?

Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 18
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 18

The cupcakes are flattened using a cutting board or something heavy right out of the oven.Thats keep them all the same height.When I have planned out the design for the board I dab a bit of icing under each cupcake to keep it sturdy.Then I use the large icer tip like Lisa mentioned and Ice the whole top.It does not sink into the cracks.Then I smooth.Thanks all for the nice comments!!!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 18

I leveled all my cupcakes with a cookie sheet as they came out of the oven. I didn't put anything to glue mine down either. I used the icing tip to frost them with buttercream and gently smoothed the icing out. None shifted. This picture has 76 cupcakes ... it was quite large.
LL

Lisa Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 12:17am
post #18 of 18

That looks great Linda...love the seahorse!

I've gotten a lot of good CCC ideas from Brenda's site too. It's where I got the idea for the butterfly one in my photos.

http://www.brenscakes.com/cupcakecakes.html

Brenda also posted her instructions here...

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/cupcakes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%